a modest proposal: johnny goo and billy sheehan should buy the bills

Dirtbag

honestly, i'm surprised this hasn't been suggested before, particularly with all the recent bon jovi talk.

a johnny goo/billy sheehan ownership group combines all the elements bon jovi offers -- weathered yet approachable good looks, a rapidly aging, strangely fanatic fan base, and hair stylings that have defiantly withstood the test of time -- plus one more essential component: blue collar credibility. i can't confirm this for sure, but i suspect they (or at least someone they know or knew) probably had something to do with bethlehem steel at some time. or at least heard of it.

could you imagine ej, dareus and all those williams(es) emerging from the tunnel to the sweet stylings of billy's bone-rattlin' bass? how amazing would it be to to stand at attention as johnny goo and robbie goo unleash a heart-stopping, a cappella rendition of the national anthem? imagine, for a moment, billy and steve vai going to battle in one of their vaunted bass/guitar shred-offs at the fifty yard line during halftime -- how mind-blowing would that be? maybe they could even somehow bring joe satriani into the mix. one things for sure: no ear would be left un-bleeding.

to be clear, i have no idea if messrs. goo or sheehan have either the money or interest. still, that's no reason to not put public pressure on them to make it happen. if they loved buffalo they would do this for us.

thoughts?

They don't have deep enough pockets, neither does Bon Jovi

That's what I don't understand about all of this hand-wringing in regards to Bon Jovi. His estimated net worth is $300MM and I would imagine only a fraction of that could be easily liquidated.

Big name, minor player.

Yeah, he'd end up owning .04% of a team or something. When the talk is that he wants the team in Toronto, you're looking at say 900 mil for the team, 500 mil league relocation fee, say they wait a while and the lease buyout is 200mil, new stadium with 700 mil team invested. That's about 2.3 billion dollars of which Bon Jovi could probably muster up 100mil or just less than a quarter of a percent of the ownership stake.

That's what I don't understand about all of this hand-wringing in regards to Bon Jovi. His estimated net worth is $300MM and I would imagine only a fraction of that could be easily liquidated.

Big name, minor player.

Well Jim Kelly has an estimated net worth of 19 million, has zero experience, yet is considered by many to be in the running.

JBJ in addition to having a higher net worth, has been an owner of a sports franchise before (Arena Football).

Who knows who will end up owning the Bills. But Bon Jovi is no sillier than Jim Kelly in my mind.

Yeah, he'd end up owning .04% of a team or something. When the talk is that he wants the team in Toronto, you're looking at say 900 mil for the team, 500 mil league relocation fee, say they wait a while and the lease buyout is 200mil, new stadium with 700 mil team invested. That's about 2.3 billion dollars of which Bon Jovi could probably muster up 100mil or just less than a quarter of a percent of the ownership stake.

If you are going off 100m contribution, you may want to check your math

Not to mention the buyout number issue, the relocation fee question.... But I won't begin to pretend I know stadium funding logistics in Canada (ie govt subsidies and the like)

Edited by NoSaint

Well Jim Kelly has an estimated net worth of 19 million, has zero experience, yet is considered by many to be in the running.

JBJ in addition to having a higher net worth, has been an owner of a sports franchise before (Arena Football).

Who knows who will end up owning the Bills. But Bon Jovi is no sillier than Jim Kelly in my mind.

I'm not sure where I thought his net worth would be but 19 Million seems light. I have never heard a figure for him. Where did that come from?

They don't have deep enough pockets, neither does Bon Jovi

seriously? wait, is anything in this thread expected to be considered seriously?

Edit: I read this wrong, I thought it said IF They don't have deep enough pockets, neither does Bon Jovi

My bad.

Edited by Captain Caveman

I know this was a (somewhat) serious post and I could not help but laugh when I read the title. The fact that John Bongiovi is trying to buy the Bills is making me sick. I, as many here, only hope that whoever buys the Bills keeps them in Buffalo. Someone from the area makes so much more sense because they understand how important the team is to WNY and how passionate Bill's fans are.

Side note opinion #1: GooGooDoll's music much much better than BonJovi, even the new stuff.

Side note opinion #2: BonJovi should be banned from local radio stations

If you are going off 100m contribution, you may want to check your math

Not to mention the buyout number issue, the relocation fee question.... But I won't begin to pretend I know stadium funding logistics in Canada (ie govt subsidies and the like)

This was all hypothetical off the cuff rambling so obviously not close to accurate but a general idea. And yeah, its 4%, not .04%, my bad. Just wrote this up quick and the point is still the same. He wouldn't be close to a majority owner.

This was all hypothetical off the cuff rambling so obviously not close to accurate but a general idea. And yeah, its 4%, not .04%, my bad. Just wrote this up quick and the point is still the same. He wouldn't be close to a majority owner.

for sure.... i was just pointing out that if he dumps 100m into a 900m investment, and the rest ends up being wildcards (how much will relocation cost, or may the owners waive it, how much will the stadium cost ownership if hes even part of the stadium ownership group, etc....)

a less than a quarter of a percent(obviously was an error, happens to the best of us) all the way to over 10% is a wide range and the latter number is fairly substantial.

This is all a bunch of nonsense. No rock star or musician has any where near the cash to buy an NFL team. Jimmy Buffet bought into the Dolphins, I think, and his stake is tiny. It was all he could afford. It is almost a PR thing. They can't afford it. Bon Jovi is reportedly worth 300 million. I think that estimate is too high. For him to buy a big stake, he would need to sell everything he owns and eat mac n cheese from a box. At the end of the day, he and Larry Tannenbaum simply don't have the cash. Jeremy Jacobs could buy them both, so could Pegula. Jon Bon Jovi's name is used solely to raise some awareness that some yahoos in Canada are thinking of buying an NFL team, and nothing else. It would take at least 1.6 billion after all the fees and cost are added up to buy the Bills and that is before a stadium gets built. Thanks for coming out to play Jon. Now go play you little guitar for us.

This always reminds me of the Chris Rock routine where he talks about the difference between rich and wealthy - "Shaq is rich. The white guy who signs Shaq's check is wealthy". You have to be wealthy to buy an NFL team. Sometimes those wealthy people don't want to be the face of the franchise and that's where rich athletes/entertainers come in. Jay-Z is estimated to be worth $500 million and is the face of the Nets, but his "ownership" amounts to only $4.5 million - he's hardly an owner. If you want to own a team you need to be on the Forbes list and unless you follow corporate CEOs and people who have inherited vast family fortunes you probably won't recognize many people on that list.

Edited by The Avenger

This is all a bunch of nonsense. No rock star or musician has any where near the cash to buy an NFL team. Jimmy Buffet bought into the Dolphins, I think, and his stake is tiny. It was all he could afford. It is almost a PR thing. They can't afford it. Bon Jovi is reportedly worth 300 million. I think that estimate is too high. For him to buy a big stake, he would need to sell everything he owns and eat mac n cheese from a box. At the end of the day, he and Larry Tannenbaum simply don't have the cash. Jeremy Jacobs could buy them both, so could Pegula. Jon Bon Jovi's name is used solely to raise some awareness that some yahoos in Canada are thinking of buying an NFL team, and nothing else. It would take at least 1.6 billion after all the fees and cost are added up to buy the Bills and that is before a stadium gets built. Thanks for coming out to play Jon. Now go play you little guitar for us.

Exactly. Bon Jovi is just the famous face to the group, just like Jim Kelly would be if he were part of a group. When it comes down to it, he’d be a small minority owner. I read in one of the articles on two bills drive that he attempted to purchase 15% of the Falcons from Arthur Blank a few years back. Chances are the Bills will sell for more than what the Falcons are considered to be worth back then (since the next team always sells for more than the previous one) so if he owned more than 10% I’d be surprised.

If he does succeed and they move the team to Toronto, Bon Jovi (the band) better never come back to Buffalo again and if they do I hope the crowd boos them for the whole show. Heck, I’d hope that any red blooded American nationwide would boycott the band for moving an American team out of the country.

Exactly. Bon Jovi is just the famous face to the group, just like Jim Kelly would be if he were part of a group. When it comes down to it, he’d be a small minority owner. I read in one of the articles on two bills drive that he attempted to purchase 15% of the Falcons from Arthur Blank a few years back. Chances are the Bills will sell for more than what the Falcons are considered to be worth back then (since the next team always sells for more than the previous one) so if he owned more than 10% I’d be surprised.

If he does succeed and they move the team to Toronto, Bon Jovi (the band) better never come back to Buffalo again and if they do I hope the crowd boos them for the whole show. Heck, I’d hope that any red blooded American nationwide would boycott the band for moving an American team out of the country.

If he and the Toronto group bought the team later this year, they would never be able to go to their own teams games for 6 years while they waited out the lease. The team would play to an empty stadium for 6 years while they waited to get to the buyout year. The only reason fans would show up would be to stand outside and try to assassinate Bon Jovi on the way into the game. The only way he would get in is if he landed a helicopter on the field. Even then, someone would try to shoot it down. The NFL does not want the PR nightmare that would be created with an empty stadium, a rebellious and hostile fan base and a lame duck owner. That is not how they want to enter the Canadian market. "Stealing" a team from a strong fan base and giving it to Canada is not happening.