stephen colbert named letterman replacement

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he is going to keep the Character, doubtful CBS would be in favour of making "The late Show" into a longer "Colbert Report"

Definitly unexpected choice, but I think its a good one, could have always gone the NBC route and just hired another ex-SNL performer.....

I am wondering that too?

Did the Colbert Report type cast him forever?

Actually, aren't his politics liberal in real life?

he's pretty close to be the total opposite of himself on the Colbert Report

There may be problems with people who may or may not watch because they either liked or disliked the character he portrayed on that show, but he is always pretty good interviewing his guests and I think will make a good choice for it

https://tv.yahoo.com...-160100374.html

WOW. that's a surprise.

Wow, Simmons nailed it inthis great article about Letterman. Good read for any long time Letterman fans

http://grantland.com...an-retires-cbs/

Hers is the blurb from that article

Now we’re already thinking about the Next Next Guy — within 12 hours of Letterman’s stunning announcement, names like Tina Fey, Neil Patrick Harris, Ellen DeGeneres and even Conan were being thrown around for his job. I will spare you the suspense — it’s going to be Colbert. Well, unless he has three more Twitter debacles or something. He’s getting that job.[/color]]

This was posted two days ago..his old boss Jimmy Kimmel must have known

Edited by plenzmd1

he's pretty close to be the total opposite of himself on the Colbert Report

There may be problems with people who may or may not watch because they either liked or disliked the character he portrayed on that show, but he is always pretty good interviewing his guests and I think will make a good choice for it

I hear you... It will be interesting to see. I read about him, but I never really seen him outside the zany Colbert bit.

Good choice, Letterman hasn't been funny for 20 years now.

Boo...take a seat on Lettermans couch and he would light you up.

Agree on the Simmons article...Letterman is a legend IMO.

8 thumbs down to Colbert, doubt he makes it 6 months.

Fallon, Kimmel etc will eat his lunch.

I hate this move. Dave will always be #1 for me, but I haven't really watched these late-night network talk shows, regualarly, in a long time. Love the Colbert Report, rarely miss it. I feel like we are losing both guys.

Not to say that Colbert can't succeed with a mainstream network audience...but he will now be really good at something irrelevant, as opposed to being the best at somthig very relevant.

I wish CBS had tapped John Stewart instead. I wouldn't miss the Daily Show nearly as much as the Colbert Report. Judging from some of the comments here, and some of the news stories I have read on this, on-line, I just think this will turn into a huge waste of a great talent. It is amazing, after all this time, that so many people don't realize that the Colbert Report is 100% satire. Satire is Colberts strong suit...it doesn't lend itself to mainstream appeal I think Colbert is pretty close to a comic genious..if there is such a thing.

Too bad CBS didn't take this opportunity to do something more daring with that time-slot, instead of another old-school talk show. End of an era.

Edited by Buftex

Fallon, Kimmel etc will eat his lunch.

For laughs, Kimmel is the best right now...I can't believe how many people think Fallon is great. He has had some great musical parodies over the years, but his is pretty tough to watch, otherwise....the whole nightly entertainment talk-show format is pretty tired these days.

Uhh... then someone needs their sarcasm detector fixed. :D

What I am talking about!

Edited by Buftex

Ya know, Stern was just talking about this with someone. I really wish I remember who - a comedian. Uhh... Kathy Griffin. They both mentioned his name and said he'd fail because he is a character and not a real person.

It is going to be awful. His schmuck schtick is not going to fly. Not on CBS. This means Kimmell will soon win which is good news to me.

I hate this move. Dave will always be #1 for me, but I haven't really watched these late-night network talk shows, regualarly, in a long time. Love the Colbert Report, rarely miss it. I feel like we are losing both guys.

Not to say that Colbert can't succeed with a mainstream network audience...but he will now be really good at something irrelevant, as opposed to being the best at somthig very relevant.

I wish CBS had tapped John Stewart instead. I wouldn't miss the Daily Show nearly as much as the Colbert Report. Judging from some of the comments here, and some of the news stories I have read on this, on-line, I just think this will turn into a huge waste of a great talent. It is amazing, after all this time, that so many people don't realize that the Colbert Report is 100% satire. Satire is Colberts strong suit...it doesn't lend itself to mainstream appeal I think Colbert is pretty close to a comic genious..if there is such a thing.

Too bad CBS didn't take this opportunity to do something more daring with that time-slot, instead of another old-school talk show. End of an era.

The timing is pretty interesting, with that recent "fire Colbert" stink due to people not understanding satire. I wonder if CBS will get a little backlash from that crowd due to this decision.