stephen colbert named letterman replacement

George Lopez can't hold Lettermans jock. As a huge letterman fan myself I would applaud for all of the jokes as well if I got to see a live show.

Dave is the man....ask any hot actress from the last 30 years.

He's finally embracing growing up and having children. Long live Dave !

Then you would join the lemmings in the audience who encourage him to go through the motions. They don't just applaud the jokes, they applaud everything. They even applaud the long unnecessary intro graphics for the top ten list. Really?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you would join the lemmings in the audience who encourage him to go through the motions. They don't just applaud the jokes, they applaud everything. They even applaud the long unnecessary intro graphics for the top ten list. Really?

Your opinions would be more interesting if you didn't toss them out as facts.

Take 2 teaspoons of, "turn the !@#$ing channel" and call me in the morning.

I still find it funny that I don't understand satire. I really don't. I should listen to Howard Stern, watch Kimmel and learn some satire.

David Letterman is lightyears better then Leno for the simple fact that he can interview. Kimmel has come a long way in his interviewing but has the funniest bits on late night. Leno was and is always going to be a hack that panders to the celebrities that come on his show, toes a clear line of light hearted soft jokes and does nothing worth while.

What Colbert is going to do is goign to try to "reinvent" the late night thing. Funny bits, musical numbers, and try to be 'himself.' He will struggle, as they all do. It's not him that will struggle, its the guy that follows THE GUY that struggles. Ultimately in a last ditch effort Colbert will revert to his Comedy Central antics trying to pull out of the nose dive.

Take 2 teaspoons of, "turn the !@#$ing channel" and call me in the morning.

Do we even "turn" channels anymore? :-P

Fathers had remote controls back in the day. Same w/automatic dishwashers, some guys were lucky enough to have more than one. My father had 4. They were called: Children. The "remotes" even came w/play-by-play interactive capability:

"Hey! Don't turn that so fast... You are going to break the knob! And get outta the way, you make a better door than a window!"

:-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

PastJoe, I reallly don't think you get Letterman...like a lot of people. I admit, while I was once a huge fan of his (and still consider myself a fan), I just have little use for these shows in general anymore. What people don't realize, Letterman has been far more influential on culture than any of his peers... he made sarcasm a mainstream aspect of comedy. I would honestly say, if it hadn't been for Letterman, there wouldn't have been a "Seinfeld" show. When you see audiences flipping out over Dave's every little nuance, that is part of the whole thing. Letterman's shtick was always to make a huge event out of the most mundane events, kind of pointing out how silly, and pre-fabricated almost everything is, in this day and age.

I still find it funny that I don't understand satire. I really don't. I should listen to Howard Stern, watch Kimmel and learn some satire.

David Letterman is lightyears better then Leno for the simple fact that he can interview. Kimmel has come a long way in his interviewing but has the funniest bits on late night. Leno was and is always going to be a hack that panders to the celebrities that come on his show, toes a clear line of light hearted soft jokes and does nothing worth while.

What Colbert is going to do is goign to try to "reinvent" the late night thing. Funny bits, musical numbers, and try to be 'himself.' He will struggle, as they all do. It's not him that will struggle, its the guy that follows THE GUY that struggles. Ultimately in a last ditch effort Colbert will revert to his Comedy Central antics trying to pull out of the nose dive.

jboyst, generally, I think the strengths of all of these guys come from the bits they do, not the celebrity interviews. Colbert will be great with those, I have no doubt...but by going to a mainstream network, he is going without his best weapon, political satire. I have no doubt his liberal slant will come out in his material (just like Letterman, just like Leno, Conan, etc etc), but it won't be his main crutch. Colbert was a comedian before he did the character on the "Colbert Report", I have no doubt he is any less able to carry a show of this type as say Jimmy Fallon, or Seth Myers...

I know you are a big Kimmell fan. I like him too...but if I do watch, it is really just the first 20 minutes or so...once the interviews start, I am done. Do you remember the very first year or so, of the Kimmell show? I thought it was fantastic, and much more interesting and daring than what he does now, in his earlier time-slot. He couldn't get A-list celebrities then, so he would instead get "cult" figures as guests, people with a very limited profile. He would also have a guest co-host each week... like Mike Douglas used to do, way back. The weeks he has with Mike Tyson, Sarah Silverman, and unkown (at the time) comic Zach Galifinakos were some of the best late night tv in years.

jboyst, generally, I think the strengths of all of these guys come from the bits they do, not the celebrity interviews. Colbert will be great with those, I have no doubt...but by going to a mainstream network, he is going without his best weapon, political satire. I have no doubt his liberal slant will come out in his material (just like Letterman, just like Leno, Conan, etc etc), but it won't be his main crutch. Colbert was a comedian before he did the character on the "Colbert Report", I have no doubt he is any less able to carry a show of this type as say Jimmy Fallon, or Seth Myers...

I know you are a big Kimmell fan. I like him too...but if I do watch, it is really just the first 20 minutes or so...once the interviews start, I am done. Do you remember the very first year or so, of the Kimmell show? I thought it was fantastic, and much more interesting and daring than what he does now, in his earlier time-slot. He couldn't get A-list celebrities then, so he would instead get "cult" figures as guests, people with a very limited profile. He would also have a guest co-host each week... like Mike Douglas used to do, way back. The weeks he has with Mike Tyson, Sarah Silverman, and unkown (at the time) comic Zach Galifinakos were some of the best late night tv in years.

The skits he did back then were fantastic. And the concerts he'd have at the end of the show were unheard of and never before seen. The bands would some times be big, usually of the college age demographic and incredible.

I remember one time for no reason he had a belly dancer at the end strip down to nothing but nipple covers and a thong. I could not believe he got away with it. From his This Week In Censorship to his family being on the show (inspired by Howard Stern) the guy has come up with original content in a stale genre. Leno would copy anything good he could find and Letterman was tired and didn't have the energy to pull off the bits and skits.

PastJoe, I reallly don't think you get Letterman...like a lot of people. I admit, while I was once a huge fan of his (and still consider myself a fan), I just have little use for these shows in general anymore. What people don't realize, Letterman has been far more influential on culture than any of his peers... he made sarcasm a mainstream aspect of comedy. I would honestly say, if it hadn't been for Letterman, there wouldn't have been a "Seinfeld" show. When you see audiences flipping out over Dave's every little nuance, that is part of the whole thing. Letterman's shtick was always to make a huge event out of the most mundane events, kind of pointing out how silly, and pre-fabricated almost everything is, in this day and age.

Didn't Carlin do it before Letterman?

The skits he did back then were fantastic. And the concerts he'd have at the end of the show were unheard of and never before seen. The bands would some times be big, usually of the college age demographic and incredible.

I remember one time for no reason he had a belly dancer at the end strip down to nothing but nipple covers and a thong. I could not believe he got away with it. From his This Week In Censorship to his family being on the show (inspired by Howard Stern) the guy has come up with original content in a stale genre. Leno would copy anything good he could find and Letterman was tired and didn't have the energy to pull off the bits and skits.

How quickly you forget the segments with Dave's mom, and the great Larrry Bud Mellman. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnKEQtR30rM Edited by Buftex

He was innovative and funny when he started, but now he just goes through the motions and people laugh and applaud out of habit. It's like the subjects making the king feel good on Game of Thrones. They're either suckups or clueless.

Seth Myers and Jimmy Fallon are the best currently on. I used to like Kimmel back in the Man Show days but he's become too corporate. And I think they put Craig Ferguson on to make Letterman seem funny by comparison.

Edited by PastaJoe

Excellent post.

It's a shame that there are people out there who think that anyone who is part of the majority is a "lemming," therefore do something different just to be able to a) call others lemmings and b) point out how they are so much different (better) than the lemmings.

I find those types of people pathetic, personally.

Anyway - your summary of Letterman's influence was spot on.

He was innovative and funny when he started, but now he just goes through the motions and people laugh and applaud out of habit. It's like the subjects making the king feel good on Game of Thrones. They're either suckups or clueless.

Seth Myers and Jimmy Fallon are the best currently on. I used to like Kimmel back in the Man Show days but he's become too corporate. And I think they put Craig Ferguson on to make Letterman seem funny by comparison.

Ha ha...we disagree on most everything in this thread. But, I still like you!

You are missing the nuance with Lettermen, and the appluase, suck-up thing... I think it is common with all these guys, at some point they do start going through the motions to a degree. That is a valid criticism of Letterman. People said the same thing about Carson about 10 years before he hung it up.

I don't find Jimmy Fallon or Seth Myers very funny at all, but I will give Fallon credit in that he is very enthusiastic, and has had some great musical bits over the years. To be fair, I think I have only seen Myers twice...but was not overly impressed. Whatever edge Fallon had will be dulled by his new time-slot. It happens to all of them.

Believe it or not, before he took over the Carson show, Jay Leno was considered edgy, and one of the better stand-up comics around. Leno on the old Letterman show was "can't miss" tv, when there was still "can't miss" tv.

Ultimately, the only part of any of these shows that is possibly worth watching is the first 20 minutes or so...none of them are great interviewers...but most of the guests are vapid, uninteresting people....so you get what you get. The "talk" aspect of the shows have been lost over the years.

Edited by Buftex

just goes to show how well his acting is.

If you weren't such a die hard Republican, you would see that Jon is funny,

hey now, lets not forget O'Reiley.

Did you see the Hannity bit on Spring Break. All of the men were shaming the young ladies for flaunting their stuff yet they (a) would support their sons being a slut bag (b) loved it when they did it

and the women complained about drunk boys puking and or peeing on the beach.

That is the basis for the "Stephen Colbert" character of the Colbert Report

His character is supposed to be O'Reilly, its why he refers to him as "Papa Bear"

That is the basis for the "Stephen Colbert" character of the Colbert Report

His character is supposed to be O'Reilly, its why he refers to him as "Papa Bear"

I guess I didn't know that or remember it before he left for his own show. and I usually fall asleep during the Daily Show so I don't see that much of Colbert anymore to have been reminded of that.

I guess I didn't know that or remember it before he left for his own show. and I usually fall asleep during the Daily Show so I don't see that much of Colbert anymore to have been reminded of that.

He has said it before in interviews that the 'Colbert Report" Stephen Colbert is based off of Bill O'Reilly pretty much.

While on the Daily Show he didn't really portray this 'character' as much, I think it was when they came up with the idea for another show this is what he decided they should do.

I wonder if Comedy Central is going to replace the Colbert Report with another show from someone else on the Daily Show? I would love to see Lewis Black do a similar show, but worry that his rant style would be too much for a show thats on 4x's a week.

On another note, saw something yesterday about Chelsea Handler, shes ending her show on E! and tweeted something about 'working on business' with a photo of her and some papers with a CBS logo on it (or something like that). This has led to a rumor that Fergusson was really unhappy he didn't get the Letterman spot and that he is going to leave his show and they are going to get Chelsea to replace him

Personally, I think CC should just extend the Daily Show to an hour long show, and extend the use of the Correspondent roles.

Or, give Jason Jones or Jessica Williams their own show. Both are pretty fantastic.

Edited by Dorkington

He has said it before in interviews that the 'Colbert Report" Stephen Colbert is based off of Bill O'Reilly pretty much.

While on the Daily Show he didn't really portray this 'character' as much, I think it was when they came up with the idea for another show this is what he decided they should do.

I wonder if Comedy Central is going to replace the Colbert Report with another show from someone else on the Daily Show? I would love to see Lewis Black do a similar show, but worry that his rant style would be too much for a show thats on 4x's a week.

On another note, saw something yesterday about Chelsea Handler, shes ending her show on E! and tweeted something about 'working on business' with a photo of her and some papers with a CBS logo on it (or something like that). This has led to a rumor that Fergusson was really unhappy he didn't get the Letterman spot and that he is going to leave his show and they are going to get Chelsea to replace him

Hmmm...I had heard last week, that the Letterman job was Fergusons if he had wanted it, but he declined.

Personally, I think CC should just extend the Daily Show to an hour long show, and extend the use of the Correspondent roles.

Or, give Jason Jones or Jessica Williams their own show. Both are pretty fantastic.

I don't enjoy the Daily Show as much as I used to. John Stewart, who I like, just seems to rely more and more on funny voices. The one correspondant I find consistanlty funny is Samantha B. It used to be can't miss tv for me, but not as much anymore....still like it, but Colbert Report was the reason for tuning in, IMO.

In some ways, I am kind of surprised they didn't offer the Letterman job to Stewart...and I think he might be more suited to it than Colbert. He is just a bigger name. I guess I can give CBS kudos for taking a chance.

Edited by Buftex