BBQ Question

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or throw some cube steak in a cast iron skillet with some butter and garlic salt.

While I love cooking in a cast iron skillet, doing that on the grill doesn't make it much different than doing it on the stove.

Get that meat flesh directly over the coals!

Glad you found one you like bud. That's what it's all about anyway. All grills are different and you can grill a steak just as good as some $1500 grill. It all comes down to knowing your grill and it's hot and cold spots.

Good luck to you with it. Hope it works out for you.

Glad you found one you like bud. That's what it's all about anyway. All grills are different and you can grill a steak just as good as some $1500 grill. It all comes down to knowing your grill and it's hot and cold spots.

Totally agreed.

I'm sure it's easier/better grilling on an Egg than it is on my $130 kettle grill that I got from Target last year. But my food never sucks, dammit!

Oddly enough my father had the same advice for me about women.

The other key is finding a good butcher and figuring out the cut of meat you like the most and learning how to tell the temp of your meat. Nothing worse than putting on a couple of steaks you paid $30 or more for, sitting down to eat them and noticing you cooked the **** out of them. Also less is more with the seasoning. Salt, fresh ground pepper a good olive oil and maybe some fresh hardy herbs (thyme or rosemary) on your steak. Add some garlic to the chicken (more subtle flavor) or some balsamic vinegar to your flank steak. Learn to make your own BBQ sauce. It may be nowhere as good as store bought the first time but play around with it. Nothing more satisfying than having great BBQ ribs with "your" sauce.

Oh and you drop a steak on the ground? That one goes to the wife. I mean hell guys, we did all the work. If she asks what the black bits are on her steak? Fresh ground black pepper dear, fresh ground pepper.

The best steaks I've ever had were ones using the reverse sear method on my BGE. With the reverse sear you roast the steak slowly to about 10-15 degrees below your target temp, then sear it quickly, maybe 30 seconds a side right over the roaring hot coals. To do this right it helps to have a Thermapen instant read thermometer, and indispensable grilling and BBQ tool.

post-2232-0-05425100-1397655224_thumb.jpg

Amazing Ribs is a great resource that is focused on the science of grilling & BBQ.

The best steaks I've ever had were ones using the reverse sear method on my BGE. With the reverse sear you roast the steak slowly to about 10-15 degrees below your target temp, then sear it quickly, maybe 30 seconds a side right over the roaring hot coals. To do this right it helps to have a Thermapen instant read thermometer, and indispensable grilling and BBQ tool.

post-2232-0-05425100-1397655224_thumb.jpg

Amazing Ribs is a great resource that is focused on the science of grilling & BBQ.

Funny, i was going to say Americas Test Kitchen recommends the reverse sear method with quite a few of their recipes, and it works great...then i see they quote Cooks Illustrated( same folks, just another way to charge more $) in the Amazing Ribs article.

I really do use both of those sites quite extensively.

Also, i do use the thermapen quite a bit, but on the grill, both gas and the Egg, i use the Maverick for both grill temp and meat temp.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/maverick-thermometer-et732-wireless

Edited by plenzmd1

Learn to make your own BBQ sauce. It may be nowhere as good as store bought the first time but play around with it. Nothing more satisfying than having great BBQ ribs with "your" sauce.

Not to mention, virtually all the store-bought sauce is all sugar. Learning to make my own BBQ sauce is right up there with learning how to make my own cocktail sauce.

Not to mention, virtually all the store-bought sauce is all sugar. Learning to make my own BBQ sauce is right up there with learning how to make my own cocktail sauce.

it is amazing is it not? Almost all bottled sauce lists either HFCS or Sugar as first ingredient

I do put sugar in mine but I like spicy over sweet. I also use maple syrup. WNY syrup of course. :D

I do put sugar in mine but I like spicy over sweet. I also use maple syrup. WNY syrup of course. :D

I've only made my own bbq sauce twice - when making pulled pork. It's a friend's grandmother's recipe and it is phenomenal. I plan on making a batch of it (just the sauce) for the summer.

Any idea what the lifespan of a jar of homemade bbq sauce is??

I've only made my own bbq sauce twice - when making pulled pork. It's a friend's grandmother's recipe and it is phenomenal. I plan on making a batch of it (just the sauce) for the summer.

Any idea what the lifespan of a jar of homemade bbq sauce is??

I've had one in the fridge for several weeks. Put it in a canning jar and boil it completely covered in water and you're good to go for a long time. I've been doing some canning and preserving lately.

I will probably fire it up tomorrow night (wife is having a friend over and is cooking tonight)

For BBQ sauce, I have no issues with the store bought stuff, I really enjoy the Bullseye ones

I don't have a gourmet pallet, I don't need anything fancy

Our preference has more to do with our commitment to do away with processed anything than it does with our pallet.

On the other hand, like I mentioned, the store bought stuff is heavy sugar, and health issues aside, less sugar in your sauce means less burn/scrubbing on the grate, which is usually the first thing to go on your grill (besides the igniter).