BBQ Question

I'm in the market for a new propane grill this spring and have been looking around the last few days.

Not a pro, or looking for something elaborate, but not looking for a disposable cheapo one either.

So I was looking online and found what looks like a good deal for one at the high end of the budget, Is it worth it to get an infrared grill?

Is anyone using one of these? Are they any good or is it just some fad? The reviews I have read from the store are all good

basically its a regular gas grill, with a plate over the burner that heats up instead of just the exposed flame providing the heat.

Might pick one up tonight, just thought I would see what people here think of them and if its worth the money

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the market for a new propane grill this spring and have been looking around the last few days.

Not a pro, or looking for something elaborate, but not looking for a disposable cheapo one either.

So I was looking online and found what looks like a good deal for one at the high end of the budget, Is it worth it to get an infrared grill?

Is anyone using one of these? Are they any good or is it just some fad? The reviews I have read from the store are all good

basically its a regular gas grill, with a plate over the burner that heats up instead of just the exposed flame providing the heat.

Might pick one up tonight, just thought I would see what people here think of them and if its worth the money

I looked at grills last year, the infrared grill just looked like too much work to clean.

my guess is that the fat drippings will provide more flame ups / burning singing your food.

3 burner vs 4 burner - man does a 4 burner eat up gas.

Was shocked to not see the word Egg in your response.

I know nothing about infrared...have it on my gas grill, have never used it!

:blink: :blink:

I looked at grills last year, the infrared grill just looked like too much work to clean.

my guess is that the fat drippings will provide more flame ups / burning singing your food.

3 burner vs 4 burner - man does a 4 burner eat up gas.

:blink: :blink:

Thats something that the write ups and the reviews said doesn't happen with the infrared because the plate is over the flame and it keeps from having flame ups

You know spring is in the air when we get our annual BBQ grill question. :D

well I figured that a Grill/cooking question would set off the "Chief Signal" for you to respond

I didn't want to confuse him seeing he was looking for a gas grill. :D

Yeah, I would like to get a smoker eventually too, but for most cooking in the spring/summer/fall, I don't have the time for charcoal and just cook with a propane grill

Was shocked to not see the word Egg in your response.

I know nothing about infrared...have it on my gas grill, have never used it!

From the video I watched online, the "infrared" wasn't something you could turn on or off, it was the full grill itself, it was basically a plate over the burners that heats up and provides the heat to the grill surface

Just get a nice Weber. Easy to clean. We went with the Genesis from a few years ago and never been happier! Has the extra sear burner... Not the super huge one, the 700 dollar one.

Ordered it out of Appliance Connection (I think out of New Jersey)... Shipped freight, not a problem. Oh, Chris Christie probably loves that Illinois was getting stuck without the sales tax on a big ticket internet purchase. Wait... Of course I filled out the 6.25% Will County sales tax for the purchase on the use tax form @ tax time! ;-) ;-)

Just get a nice Weber. Easy to clean. We went with the Genesis from a few years ago and never been happier! Has the extra sear burner... Not the super huge one, the 700 dollar one.

Ordered it out of Appliance Connection (I think out of New Jersey)... Shipped freight, not a problem. Oh, Chris Christie probably loves that Illinois was getting stuck without the sales tax on a big ticket internet purchase. Wait... Of course I filled out the 6.25% Will County sales tax for the purchase on the use tax form @ tax time! ;-) ;-)

My Kitchen stove cost me less than that, no way thats in the budget for me

The one I'm looking at is on sale for $298 ($200 off the regular price)

But 75 percent of the fun of grilling is playing with the flames!

My Kitchen stove cost me less than that, no way thats in the budget for me

The one I'm looking at is on sale for $298 ($200 off the regular price)

You did say this:

"I'm in the market for a new propane grill this spring and have been looking around the last few days.

Not a pro, or looking for something elaborate, but not looking for a disposable cheapo one either."

I am not sure you aren't going to find a "non-throwaway" one for under 300... Weber does make the Spirit line... They are cheaper... 300-500.

You do get what you pay for.

EDIT: 200 dollars off of 500 is nice!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

See, i thought infrared was that unit in the back of the grill...did not know they have a whole infrared grill..learn something new all the time!

The super expensive professional ones have used the tech... In the 1,000's. I am wondering how that tech translates to the bargain basement models under 500? It can't be all that good. The professional grills do get the temp up there for searing. Can the lower models? Or is it a gimmick?

Yeah, I would like to get a smoker eventually too, but for most cooking in the spring/summer/fall, I don't have the time for charcoal and just cook with a propane grill

I'm considering getting a gas grill for every day and using the Egg for smoking and when I want to use charcoal. Also considering a bigger egg. I've got the medium sized one (I think) and I cane barely fit two racks of ribs in it. It's only the wife and I and two racks will last two meals or more but I'd just like more room on there when I have friends over.

Edited by Chef Jim

See, i thought infrared was that unit in the back of the grill...did not know they have a whole infrared grill..learn something new all the time!

Thats mainly why I was asking here if anyone has used them. From the reviews and promo video they talk about the new Infrared technology and its the entire grill, supposed to seal in the juices and allow you to cook faster, with less heat IIRC.

I think I'm going to pick it up and try it out

I'm considering getting a gas grill for every day and using the Egg for smoking and when I want to use charcoal. Also considering a bigger egg. I've got the medium sized one (I think) and I cane barely fit two racks of ribs in it. It's only the wife and I and two racks will last two meals or more but I'd just like more room on there when I have friends over.

I guess I'm lucky, it would really only be for me cause the only meat my wife eats is chicken or fish, so any meat I cook on it will probably be just for me until my daughter is old enough to eat it too.

Thats mainly why I was asking here if anyone has used them. From the reviews and promo video they talk about the new Infrared technology and its the entire grill, supposed to seal in the juices and allow you to cook faster, with less heat IIRC.

I guess I'm lucky, it would really only be for me cause the only meat my wife eats is chicken or fish, so any meat I cook on it will probably be just for me until my daughter is old enough to eat it too.

The other reason my smoker is too small is you really don't want direct heat when you cook low and slow. You should pile the coals on one side and place the meat on the other. I have to really keep a close eye on the ribs so they don't char and then wrap them in foil.

Thanks for the tip.

I too am in the market for a grill, and am going to look at this.

I am also looking at places where I can get it put together and delivered for free (I think Lowe's might do this).

Unless you have an overwhelming reason to buy a gas grill, pass on buying a cheap one and buy this. It's big enough for steaks, burgers, etc., but also big enough for indirect cooking for ribs and tri-tips.

Take the money you save and buy a chimney and big bag of lump charcoal and grill like a man.

Edited by LABillzFan

I have the large and quite frankly wish I had the XL.

Also have a standard Weber Genesis gas for the quick hitter jobs or if I need the extra grill room.

Hooray for grilling season!!!