Why Not Kick The Tires with Josh Freeman?

patfitz

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I'm just being silly ... but how about we give EJ Manuel more than 9 games to prove/disprove that he is the long-term QB for the Bills?

I think the OP was referring to him coming in as a #2 option at backup (replacing Tuel) on the roster... at least I hope...

I think the OP was referring to him coming in as a #2 option at backup (replacing Tuel) on the roster... at least I hope...

Ahh ... I understand, thanks.

Tuel, in my opinion, shouldn't even be in the NFL. I liked what Thad showed last year as a solid backup. Freeman's presence would just muddy the waters. Let someone else take that circus.

Ahh ... I understand, thanks.

Tuel, in my opinion, shouldn't even be in the NFL. I liked what Thad showed last year as a solid backup. Freeman's presence would just muddy the waters. Let someone else take that circus.

I differ in the point about bringing in someone with experience to backup EJ. IMHO, it is imperative that we bring in a QB with sufficient playing experience. I will go out on a limb and say that the Bills D is adequate enough to get us to the playoffs. On O, we have added depth at OG (CWilliams) and a proven WR (MWilliams). If we get two starters out of this draft (say at TE, OT), the only thing holding us back is the QB position. I am fully on board with giving EJ most of the season to prove himself. But, we have to be prepared for him imploding or getting injured. Based on the way the roster is built, we are too dependent on EJ and we don't know enough to place an entire season's outcome on one hope. As hope is not a strategy, we need to bolster the backup position with someone who has (preferably) starting experience and can protect the football.

Not sure if that QB is Freeman, but we better bring someone in before TC. Lewis is too turnover prone to be an adequate #2. As someone else stated, he should be a #3 with Tuel put on PS or let go.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

To answer your question, just watch the MNF game last year. I think that game answered all of the questions that any curious GM's had. He's not good, then combine that with possible substance abuse problems and huge work ethic questions...why would anyone want him?

Seriously? That was a TB smear campaign

To answer your question, just watch the MNF game last year. I think that game answered all of the questions that any curious GM's had. He's not good, then combine that with possible substance abuse problems and huge work ethic questions...why would anyone want him?

That was proven false last year. Again, watch the week 7 MNF game with Freeman, Thad beat the Dolphins 24 hours earlier.

I don't like Thad at all, but facts are facts.

Agreed that Freeman played terrible in that MNF game but how can you use that 1 game as the only indicator of him as a player? He was only with the Vikings for 10 days when he started that game. That is nowhere near enough time to digest an NFL playbook and be expected to play well. It was obvious in that game that he didn’t know the playbook beyond maybe the 1st read. The head coach/team put him in a really bad position and he predictably failed.

He had some really good seasons in the past but was also inconsistent, which is to be expected from a young QB. It appears to me that last season was more of a result of him not being put in a position to succeed than him not having any talent. Either way, this league is all about 2nd/3rd chances so if a guy has talent and is not a locker room cancer, it’s worth a shot because he absolutely has more physical talent than either Thad or Tuel. If we could sign him to a team friendly deal and let him come in to compete, I don’t see how it could hurt…as long as it is very clear to him that EJ is the starter.

Perhaps I'm just being silly ... but how about we give EJ Manuel more than 9 games to prove/disprove that he is the long-term QB for the Bills?

I feel like this debate is to replace tuel and compete with Thad - little to do with EJs status

no....he isn't all that good, we have a backup, and I think we should be looking for free agents where we actually have gaping holes such as OT, TE, and CB. We don't have the luxury of taking fliers on people in positions where we don't need them, like drafting CJ Spiller when we already have Marshawn Lynch.

no....he isn't all that good, we have a backup, and I think we should be looking for free agents where we actually have gaping holes such as OT, TE, and CB. We don't have the luxury of taking fliers on people in positions where we don't need them, like drafting CJ Spiller when we already have Marshawn Lynch.

i feel like we consider fliers to be totally different things... im not meaning this as an endorsement of freeman, but signing a guy to compete for backup qb on a cheap deal, seems incredibly different than a top ten pick

I differ in the point about bringing in someone with experience to backup EJ. IMHO, it is imperative that we bring in a QB with sufficient playing experience. I will go out on a limb and say that the Bills D is adequate enough to get us to the playoffs. On O, we have added depth at OG (CWilliams) and a proven WR (MWilliams). If we get two starters out of this draft (say at TE, OT), the only thing holding us back is the QB position. I am fully on board with giving EJ most of the season to prove himself. But, we have to be prepared for him imploding or getting injured. Based on the way the roster is built, we are too dependent on EJ and we don't know enough to place an entire season's outcome on one hope. As hope is not a strategy, we need to bolster the backup position with someone who has (preferably) starting experience and can protect the football.

Not sure if that QB is Freeman, but we better bring someone in before TC. Lewis is too turnover prone to be an adequate #2. As someone else stated, he should be a #3 with Tuel put on PS or let go.

I can't disagree with anything you've said.

As I said, I do like what Thad showed; but you're right - very turnover prone.

I just don't like having a backup who thinks he should be the starter. Yes ... you want a guy who believes in himself. But I never liked the idea of the starting QB looking over his shoulder.

I call it the Doug Flutie syndrome ... but that's another story altogether.

I'd like a backup who is good/smart enough to safely manage a game without turning the ball over too much, but who is also smart enough to know that he is there to back up the starter. Not one who thinks he's better than the starter. That never works.

Based on what exactly?

Somebody got all those balls to Mike Williams. Haven't you wondered about the QB who was on the other end of those throws?

The Bills don't need Freeman, but the pre-Schiano Freeman was a pretty good QB.

To anyone pointing to a single MNF game...most QB's will struggle when they are thrown into a starting assignment less than 2 weeks after being signed.

This might be nit picking, but the Bills already signed Chandler and Moeaki, to go with Gragg. They also signed Graham (a starting CB, as depth) behind Gilmore and McKelvin (2 high 1st round picks). Plus the draft is coming up, where the Bills may very well look for yet another TE to go with all of the ones already signed. I agree with OT, but I have to generally question your opinion of where more FA's are needed. Also, replacing a backup QB, in no way prevents filling FA holes elsewhere on the team. In fact, I can't remember another offseason where the Bills had so many FA signings that directly addressed huge issues on the team as they have this year.

But I do agree, no need for Freeman on this team.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

The Bills' Braintrust was interested in him when he was cut loose from TB. He has already established chemistry with our new WR Mike Williams. The Bills are not going to draft anyone more capable as a backup in this year's draft and Thad Lewis would made a good #3. Sorry Tuel.

He's not a good QB. To put it nicely... :thumbdown:. Lewis is more competent than Freeman.

He's not a good QB. To put it nicely... :thumbdown:. Lewis is more competent than Freeman.

if you wash out last year and his rookie year he is above a 50 QBR, with 50 of course being an average starter in ESPNs metric.... by comparison thad was a 24 last year (which is in line with the two years i was saying wash for freeman).

freeman has been an inconsistent qb, but hes shown ability much higher than many in the league (his second year at 61% completions and a 25-6 td-int ratio was pretty stellar even)

Edited by NoSaint

That's not accurate as he played three games for Tampa, did not play well, but was a poor scheme. he had a OC who mimicked the Giants push the ball down the field offense. He flourished on a West Coast offense where he could make quick reads. The disturbing part is the Raiders OC was at Tampa when Freeman was successful. He at times looked great and had two good years in Tampa. The part I'm referring is why didn;t the Raiders bring him in as a back up.

Living in Tampa, it became apparent Freeman's head was not in it. The news here was he had some mental issues, which is fine. He wouldn't be the only one in the NFL. It's a risk as he has the tools, speed, and can be accurate. Then again, he could flop. I'd still want EJ as the starter, and if given time, Frfeeman could be an ok back up. The problem with the MN game last year is they were desperate and did not give him anytime to prepare for their offense. They threw him out there after only 1.5 weeks, and he didn't know the plays. He looked territble and they never gave him another chance. If they waited a month, let him completely understand the playbook, terminology, etc. would he have been better? Who knows?

So at the league minimum, I'm fine with him being the third QB, and no guaranteed money. I would take him over Tuel as he has more talent. In 2010, he had 25 TD's to 5 Int's. In 2012 he had 27 TD's to 17 Int's. Three of his years he had a completion % over 60%. My point is only the Bills FO can figure out does he want to play football, work on learning Hackett's scheme all year, and maybe he moves up to the #2 spot. Now if EJ gets hurt in games after October, he could come in and win some games.

I am not going to beat on the drum to bench EJ though.

Agreed. Well said.