How About some O.T's

oman128

The Bills are very very weak when it comes to Offensive Tackle.

Cordy Glenn is a stud we all know that, he is an Pro Bowler in the making.

However, behind him we have 3 guys.

Pears who had a bad year and everyone seems to want the Bills to release.

Hairston who didn't play last season for some unknown injury.

Edawn Coughman who I think just got off the bus in Buffalo and the Bills are trying to make him a depth player.

That's it we have no other bodies on the depth chart.

Now who plays LT if Cordy gets hurt ? Quick Some one call John Fina see if he is available.

The Bills need to draft one of the 3 big named ( Robinson, Matthews or Lewan) O.T in Round 1, they also need to add a veteran depth player who can swing both ways at tackle.

Edited by oman128

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. The Bills will trade down and either take a legit ROT in the first (Zack Martin ~ #25 or so) or one with their 2nd round pick (A Richardson, or Moses). Also somebody in the 3rd or 4th round. It does not make sense to draft somebody in the first 15 picks who expects to get the big bucks for a LOT and pay him a ROT salary. The highest paid ROT gets paid the same as the 13th LOT. Ignore that and you are building a problem into your team for the intermediate future (rookie contracts are for 5 years) or earlier (al.la. J.Peters or J.Byrd).

Yes. The Bills will trade down and either take a legit ROT in the first (Zack Martin ~ #25 or so) or one with their 2nd round pick (A Richardson, or Moses). Also somebody in the 3rd or 4th round. It does not make sense to draft somebody in the first 15 picks who expects to get the big bucks for a LOT and pay him a ROT salary. The highest paid ROT gets paid the same as the 13th LOT. Ignore that and you are building a problem into your team for the intermediate future (rookie contracts are for 5 years) or earlier (al.la. J.Peters or J.Byrd).

That was my thinking too, they are set up to trade back. I think they could even do a swap with Cleveland's pick at 26(?).

The more I think about it, we need mathews or Lewan, I not a we need to move Cordy to the right side guy, my thought is if Cordy is hurt either of these two can move to the left and we can survive with a hopefully some dip.

If we need a tackle, why not draft a great one. It's an important position and we won't have to worry about the huge contract for 4-5 years. Doesn't make sense to wait a few rounds if a stud is there at #9.

Build the line just like New England has done since Bill Belichick took over.

I have always equated rushing touchdowns & sacks allowed as a true measure of the quality of an offensive line.

Since 2000....

New England leads the NFL in rush touchdowns with 231, we only have 155 ranked #27.

Since 2000 we have allowed the #3 most sacks 583, New England is #25 at 449.

I am really not understanding the people that dont want a OT at 9 because it would mean say good bye to Glenn...

Really?

So when we had Will WOlford....I guess we better never try and get Howard Ballard?

How about we draft Lewan......and then PAY Glenn....and have our bookend OT's for the forseeable future. Then if god forbids and we have an injury the team doesnt fall apart?

To me the wild card in this has always been Hairston....who I FIRMLY believe would have been a very good ROT before he got the mysterious injury.

That was my thinking too, they are set up to trade back. I think they could even do a swap with Cleveland's pick at 26(?).

I think Cleveland will be a good trade partner. They will get their QB at 9 is my guess

2 weeks ago, I felt like MLB was a pretty big hole on the team... Then we signed Spikes. Then I've been thinking we go WR at 9, with Evans... Now we trade for Williams. Our weaknesses are really becoming a strength before the draft even arrives. This is shaping up for a very BPS draft, but am still not off of Evans at #9. Whatever it is, I feel like this will be a Very interesting draft, including possible trade and going after a surprise player early that is at a position we don't think is a need, but is a BPA pick. Like a 2nd round RB, or first round LBer. Or a TE at 9.

Edited by BuffalothruMyVeins

Two things . . .

1) O-lineman are the safest bet in round one

2) No team has ever regretted building a strong (elite) offense lineman

I say draft one of the big-three tackles, and 2 or 3 more solid o-lineman in the rest of the draft

Two things . . .

1) O-lineman are the safest bet in round one

2) No team has ever regretted building a strong (elite) offense lineman

I say draft one of the big-three tackles, and 2 or 3 more solid o-lineman in the rest of the draft

Exactly, with a dominant line, you can dictate the game.

QB sacks = QB Brady vs the bills revolving door of bad QB's. So it is not all there offensive line.

Ok, I'll concede Brady helping lower the QB sack total. But look at Indy only 315 sacks allowed since 2000. Peyton Manning obviously helped that total, no?

Taking QB outs of the equation, did you really think New England would be #1 in rush TDs since 2000? I didn't expect that, and likelihood is neither did you.

Couldn't agree more. The addition of Mike Williams really takes the pressure off of grabbing a WR @ 9. RT is their biggest hole on offense now & needs to be addressed. I will never be against drafting linemen high because games are won & lost in the trenches.

I am all for grabbing one of the big 3 OT's (Robinson, Matthews, Lewan) in the 1st. I know this draft is deep in tackles but those 3 are elite prospects. Getting a bookend OT to pair with Glenn will solidify our line for the next decade.

We invested a 1st in Manuel so let's get him some protection. We allowed way too many sacks last season.

We also have one of the best backfields in the league with Spiller & FJax. Marrone & Hackett obviously want to run the ball a lot so adding a talented RT is a no brainer. All 3 of those top tackles are great @ getting to the 2nd level so they could put the screen pass back in the play book. Spiller is at his deadliest on screens & that play was pretty much ignored last season. I don't think the coaches had much confidence in Pears and/or Colin Brown to effectively block in the 2nd level.