Greetings from a Browns Fan

The Blue Jackets don't have fans

They have bandwagon fans right now but this is just not a hockey city. 180 degrees different than Sabres fans. The CBJ might make the playoffs this year so some people are excited but the attendance still isn't good and half the city doesn't care. They have been here 14 years and this will be only the 2nd playoff appearance. Their first in 2009, they were swept in the 1st rd. Just not a hockey town. Everyone's attention and dollars goes to OSU, which is treated like a professional team. Cbus is a pretty big city, but a college town at heart. I actually doubt there are many, if any, CBJ fans in Cleveland.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say I think your D is going to be fine. With limited knowledge about the Browns, I'd say watch out and see what Pettine does with Paul Kruger. That was probably a bad contract at a time you guys wanted to make a splash, but I think he has a lot of the same skill set the Bills have with Jerry Hughes, who was phenomenal under Pettine last year with 10 sacks.

Like every coach his barometer is going to be decided by the QB - if Pettine and your GM hit a home run with a rookie QB, you're probably set, regardless of how all the other pieces fall together. I worked with a Browns fan that tells me the talk is the Browns are kicking the tires at Carr - for your sake and his I hope that's not true!

Well poutine is a form of canadian french fries with cheese and cheese curds on them with some gravy added in for the arteries!

Hope that helps, welcome to the board! Have y ou had the same disgusting winter we have had on the other end of the lake?

Cleveland Rocks, you might not know that when the old AAFL folded after the 1949 season and the NFL picked up Cleveland, San Francisco and Baltimore, the Browns took some of the Bills top players so local fans of the old Bills began following your team. Also, the only "local" NFL television broadcast we got in Buffalo throughout the 50s was the Browns games so those of us who were kids then naturally made them "our" team. We all knew Otto Graham, Marion Motley, Dante Lavelle, Lou "The Toe" Groza and all the rest of those great teams.

When you come up for a game, post here a couple of weeks ahead and I'll bet you'll be invited to a whole bunch of tailgate parties.

Welcome CleveRocks. From my perspective all the seats at RWS are great. Good site lines and all.

Like others have said, post a week or two befor your arrival and you'll be invited to great tail gates.

I used to live in Ashtabula ('78-'88) and followed the Browns and Bills simultaneously.

Red Right 88 hurts as much as 'wide right'

The coach isnt going to matter if he doesnt have the talent. You should be more worried about your personnel department. Pettine is a great d-coordinator. As a head coach? Who knows.

Dogness, are you sure you aren't a Browns fan with a name like that? Haha! I know, it is tough when your team has all of this cap space yet can't get anyone to sign! We went after DeSean Jackson (I guess they wanted to build the all-red-flag WR group) and my guess is that even if they threw way more money at him than the Redskins he wouldn't consider it because of having no QB and the just the overall reputation of the team. I think the only reason Donte Whitner came here was because he grew up here, and Dansby took the money at his age. It is going to be a long-term rebuild with a rookie QB coming in. I don't have a strong opinion on Johnny Football (is that allowed? haha) but most Browns fans are worried that whether he is good or bad he will hate it here and leave as a FA just like his best friend LeBron. Cleveland still isn't over that!

Kinda funny... considering most here (not me) think EJ is the worst QB in the league, heh.

Worst QB? I remember I kept seeing him in the Rookie of the Week voting? Worst QB was, hands down, Weeden. :( Many fans here really wanted EJ Manuel, and what made it worse was that he looked so good in the game on Thursday Night in Cleveland. I was there and, admittedly, I was so relieved when he didn't go back in the game after he went down. We all were holding our breath as it looked like he might be OK. Now, of course I didn't want him to really be hurt but I knew that was our only chance to win is if he didn't play. That was the only Bills game I saw in which he played, I am sure he must have had some rookie-like games. I also saw the Bengals game and Chiefs game with the backup QBs. They were on here. Your offense is really good.

One of my favorite Bills memories. The Bills / Browns playoff game in Cleveland in late 80's / early 90s? The one Cleveland won, Harmon dropped pass, Bebe's head bounced off the turf. We bought tix at Eastview Mall from ticketmaster. We thought for sure we would get harassed like hell. The Browns fans couldn't have been nicer. ( And we were drunk a$$ 20 yr olds). After the game the fans next to us offered us a ton of food & we all hung out. Have never said a bad word about Cleveland since that day! Well except when you couldn't keep Bron Bron ! Cheers!! Heres to a rustbelt rebirth of football!

Welcome to the board. I always though the Browns fans would show up in force when the Bills were at home against them. but, there has not been a great deal visitors from Cleveland when they were here. glad you are starting a trend. You are welcome here in Buffalo, and most buffalo fans will treat you well. (Not like Pittsburg, don't wear your colors there, you will be abused. (family experience on that, btw) I felt that your coach down there got the quick hook on his contract....hope they have to pay him the whole deal....one year is not exactly a trial. I am guessing that that he burned his bridges with the management, and that was the cause. Pettine was very good hear, and the other comments here are right on. the lack of run defense kept them from being all world. to many 80 yard runs for TD's against the bills.

I would like to hit Cleveland for a visit, see a Cavs game.....I confess I sort of follow the blue Jays though. Have never been to Cleveland....maybe that will change soon.

One of my favorite Bills memories. The Bills / Browns playoff game in Cleveland in late 80's / early 90s? The one Cleveland won, Harmon dropped pass, Bebe's head bounced off the turf. We bought tix at Eastview Mall from ticketmaster. We thought for sure we would get harassed like hell. The Browns fans couldn't have been nicer. ( And we were drunk a$$ 20 yr olds). After the game the fans next to us offered us a ton of food & we all hung out. Have never said a bad word about Cleveland since that day! Well except when you couldn't keep Bron Bron ! Cheers!! Heres to a rustbelt rebirth of football!

I remember this game. 1989 season?

I remember this game. 1989 season?

Yep, me too. It was the 1989 season but game was played Jan 6, 1990. Bills lose 34-30. Harmon drops the pass with 9 seconds left and then said Kelly over threw it. That was Harmon's last game for the Bills and he went on to catch many, many passes as a Charger.

Welcome to the board Cleveland Rocks?!!! As long as they are respectful and somewhat knowledgeable, I believe that fans of all teams would get a fair shake on this board…even the teams we hate. Once you cross the line though, there's no coming back and you’ll be forever referred to as a troll. Being a Browns fan, we sympathize with you and your city so you’ll probably get more leeway than others might, LOL.

As for Pettine, if your defensive players are smart and don’t make mistakes, they’ll be very good IMO. If they do make mistakes or play undisciplined, then you’ll be in for a long season as you’ll likely get gashed in the run game just like we did last season.

Yep, me too. It was the 1989 season but game was played Jan 6, 1990. Bills lose 34-30. Harmon drops the pass with 9 seconds left and then said Kelly over threw it. That was Harmon's last game for the Bills and he went on to catch many, many passes as a Charger.

Welcome to the board Cleveland Rocks?!!! As long as they are respectful and somewhat knowledgeable, I believe that fans of all teams would get a fair shake on this board…even the teams we hate. Once you cross the line though, there's no coming back and you’ll be forever referred to as a troll. Being a Browns fan, we sympathize with you and your city so you’ll probably get more leeway than others might, LOL.

As for Pettine, if your defensive players are smart and don’t make mistakes, they’ll be very good IMO. If they do make mistakes or play undisciplined, then you’ll be in for a long season as you’ll likely get gashed in the run game just like we did last season.

It has been rumored that Harmon dropped that pass on purpose due to some obligations he had. Not sure if true or not but that drop was almost as bad as SJ drop against the Steelers.

Welcome, ClevelandRocks!

I'm not as sure as my board-mates what you'll see. As a Head Coach, he simply won't have the time to devote to defense like he had here and in NY. He's not very long in the tooth in the NFL, so you figure out who's HC styles be's been associated with. Marrone & Rexy. Now there's a pair for you! He'll hand off DC, though it'll be 'in the style of' his past teams, but he has to make the final call on all positions as well as learn the politics and take the limelight that HC demands.

One thing he does bring to the Browns, he can find a QB's weakness very well. Then again, that could spell revolving door at the position there, til he finds someone as smart as him..

Best wishes! -except against us! :beer:

Worst QB? I remember I kept seeing him in the Rookie of the Week voting? Worst QB was, hands down, Weeden. :( Many fans here really wanted EJ Manuel, and what made it worse was that he looked so good in the game on Thursday Night in Cleveland. I was there and, admittedly, I was so relieved when he didn't go back in the game after he went down. We all were holding our breath as it looked like he might be OK. Now, of course I didn't want him to really be hurt but I knew that was our only chance to win is if he didn't play. That was the only Bills game I saw in which he played, I am sure he must have had some rookie-like games. I also saw the Bengals game and Chiefs game with the backup QBs. They were on here. Your offense is really good.

I think we need to chronicle this for posterity: an NFL fan outside of Buffalo doesn't think that EJ Manuel is the worst thing ever. To explain CR, the most popular member of the Buffalo Bills on this board is the backup quarterback, right up until the moment he becomes a starter. :lol:

I do think that the Browns are going to be better with Pettine. I seem to remember that you guys had a decent defense in place, and Pettine is a very good coordinator. How much that transitions into Head Coach is kind of a crap shoot. For example, Pettine's replacement as the Bills DC is Jim Schwartz, the recently fired HC of the Lions. Phenomenal DC that couldn't make the transition.

I would actually be rather shocked if you guys don't take a QB at #4. As an outsider, changing over your entire staff after one year sends a message of "I want to win, and I want to win NOW"(which I bet is refreshing) and nothing can bring change quicker than a QB.

Cleveland is a nice town, and I hope that Buffalo follows in the tradition of rejuvenated Rust Belt cities. Best of luck when not playing each other/vying for the same wildcard spot.

Welcome! Of course Bills and Browns fans are cousins. I'm surprised no one brought up the fact Ralph voted against the move to Baltimore and arranged for a Browns dog pound at Rich Stadium for a game against the Bungles.

"Bills owner Ralph Wilson set aside a block of seats for Big Dawg and his buddies so they can, if even for a day, walk into a stadium with a few beers stashed in their coats and essentially lose their minds."

http://www.apnewsarc...16c6a2a1e2f1105

http://www.apnewsarc...027d45fa163bcf7

http://www.apnewsarc...73f32bddc3e2ea2

http://www.enquirer..../082196_ts.html

Welcome to TBD!!

No your eyes aren't deceiving you!

I am here too!

My best friend is a Bills fan.

Hang around her you become one too!

I still love my team but I love the Bills too!

Hang around here with so many here you will too!

I keep up with the Browns too!

The other half's childhood's best friend is a big Tribe Brown's fan too.

No. :lol:

I just remembered a few years ago the Bills were really good, maybe 5-1, when they came into Cleveland and won.. CJ Spiller did whatever he wanted against the Browns that day, I didn't follow them after that game, I think I assumed they made the playoffs that year. As a Browns fan, sometimes I tune out come playoff time if I don't have anything invested and I can't stand watching the Ravens, Steelers or Bengals who always seem to be in it.

The Draft Day movie is coming up. We have had a few movies filmed here because I think the production costs are cheap. I am all for hiring Kevin Costner as GM if he gets a QB in this movie. Something the Browns have not hit on since Bernie Kosar. That is a really long time. We have had a few decent QBs through the years, but obviously no franchise QBs who we drafted ourselves and built around. That is why this draft is so critical for the Browns. They have the picks to trade up and get both a QB and an elite talent like Mack or Watkins. I'd rather not take a QB at 4 and then wait until 26 for the next pick. I'd rather they trade up so they have two top 10 picks. While I know none of the QBs are considered top 10 talents in this draft, I fear that if they wait they will miss out on one of the top guys as other teams will snatch them up. Then they are taking a chance at the end of the 1st or top 2nd rd, and same thing will happen as last year when they missed out on EJ Manuel. But if they take one at 4, then they miss out on one of the elite talents in the draft when they were right there at the taking. If they didn't need a QB, this would be so much easier! Not to mention they ignored all their pro days. While I realize pro days aren't indicative of what a QB can really do and the private workouts are much more informative, why did every other team feel it valuable to go? Browns are acting like they have such a better evaluative model. But to not use every chance available to gain info on the QBs seems short sighted to me. Maybe the Browns will trade up with the Bills since they have the Pettine connection! Bills could take their TE or WR at 26? :)

If you don't recall, Ralph Wilson NEVER voted for a team relocation. He held a Cleveland Day the years you didn't have a team and when we we played one of your rivals here and had the DogPound in the end zone at those games.

I was in Clevand twice. Once while moving to CA, and for the Playoff game. The fans there were no problem but that old stadium was the worst I have ever been in. Like Buffalo's Rockpile, the original stadiums were both built by the WPA during the Depression.

Welcome to TBD!!

No your eyes aren't deceiving you!

I am here too!

My best friend is a Bills fan.

Hang around her you become one too!

I still love my team but I love the Bills too!

Hang around here with so many here you will too!

I keep up with the Browns too!

The other half's childhood's best friend is a big Tribe Brown's fan too.

I am glad to know that I am not the only "outlier"! Everyone on this board seems so cool to accept fans of other teams as long as they are respectful. I have a feeling I will "root" for the Bills as well when it doesn't affect the Browns. I admire the Cowboys for their dynasty in the 90s. And they always seem to be contending for the playoffs since they found Romo. Good luck to everyone's teams in the draft!