Crossman & "core" special teamers

STs was probably responsible for 2 losses last year. Easely was a decent gunner, but kind of disappeared in the second half--probably because they started to focus on him. Graham really takes the coverage unit up a notch. I'd be willing to bet that the coverage units will at least move into the middle of the rankings.

I think those who don't give the Bills decent marks for their moves in FA neglect the impact these two will have on STs...

You have to give crossman credit. The excuse of needing "core" ST players was pretty clever.

Once they stink again, he will say that we need more starters on ST.

Once that doesn't work, marrone will say that he needs to spend more personal attention to ST.

After that, the cycle will be complete, and he will be fired.

Yea, given that his units have traditionally gotten worse over the years doesn't really have me jumping on the bandwagon that the issue was getting to know his new roster.

While I agree moorman could be upgraded, we have given him as much, if not more, talent than any other STC in the league to work with. Really no excuses not to be a top ten unit this year.

You have to give crossman credit. The excuse of needing "core" ST players was pretty clever.

Once they stink again, he will say that we need more starters on ST.

Once that doesn't work, marrone will say that he needs to spend more personal attention to ST.

After that, the cycle will be complete, and he will be fired.

It is so sad, but, true! Seen it before over and over again. It is a viscous cycle, I eat cause I am lonely, I am lonely because I eat. I really, really like what the Bills are doing BUT to think Crossman should still be coaching STs boggles my mind. He has never done well before! Embarrassing. I could go on and on, but, just embarrassing!

Wonder if they keep Hopkins to just do kick offs if coverage unit is still poor in preseason.

The two Dougs have already said that was a possibility (around the time that Carpenter was re-signed).

I consider the most notable deficiency letting Legarrette Blount run wild, but I guess that's just me.

those small, shifty, really, really quick waterbug types are tough to bring down

I consider the most notable deficiency letting Legarrette Blount run wild, but I guess that's just me.

I consider the most notable deficiency to be the one that plagued the team the entire season, not one particular player breaking loose in one particular game.

I consider the most notable deficiency to be the one that plagued the team the entire season, not one particular player breaking loose in one particular game.

I consider that the pinnacle of the poor tackling and assignment execution, but those were issues all year too. ST is a lot about "want to" and I think this year it seems like we went out and got them. This year it will be on Coach Crossman to deliver results, there are no more excuses (eg Moorman, rookie punter, hopkins) if the ST sucks. The punters/kickers may play a role in it, but he has the tools he needs to be successful, at least as I see it.

edited for clarity, I definitely don't write too good.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

I consider that the pinnacle of the poor tackling and assignment execution, but those were issues all year too. ST is a lot about "want to" and I think the point this year is we don't want as many guys who don't have that mentality and it seems like we went out and got them. This year it will be on Coach Crossman to deliver results, there are no more excuses (eg Moorman, rookie punter, hopkins) if the ST sucks this year. The punters/kickers may play a role in it, but he has the tools he needs to be successful, at least as I see it.

I mostly agree...the lone exception is that he does not yet have a punter.

Everything else, yes...spot on.

The one major criticism I have of Marrone is his loyalty to Crossman. Really don't know how he can look any of his other coaches in the eye and talk about accountability.

That exact thought was discussed in depth the first couple weeks of the off season. It's very difficult to understand why Marrone was so quick to jump to Crossman's defense other than the fact that they are good friends. I desperately hope that STs perform significantly better this coming season, but, as I said in my original post, I'm skeptical.

I mostly agree...the lone exception is that he does not yet have a punter.

Everything else, yes...spot on.

I think if our first wave down the field can make a tackle more often than not even Moorman will do okay. He has to hit the correct spot on the field, but he does okay with that.

That exact thought was discussed in depth the first couple weeks of the off season. It's very difficult to understand why Marrone was so quick to jump to Crossman's defense other than the fact that they are good friends. I desperately hope that STs perform significantly better this coming season, but, as I said in my original post, I'm skeptical.

We should be able to tell in the preseason. If Easley, Graham and dixon are around the ball a lot things should go well.

The one major criticism I have of Marrone is his loyalty to Crossman. Really don't know how he can look any of his other coaches in the eye and talk about accountability.

Field goal percentage: 91.7 (10th)

Yards per punt: 42.96 (28th)

Net yards per punt: 36.11 (30th)

Yards per kickoff return: 20.39 (29th)

Opponents yards per kickoff return: 23.38 (17th)

Yards per punt return: 6.23 (29th)

Opponent yards per punt return: 10.6 (25th)

Looking a bit deeper at these stats does say a lot more about the players than the coaching. Yards per punt right off the bat speaks to a poor punting performance, and I would agree with the poster who said Moormon was a sore spot last year. They desperately need to upgrade the punter position. The days of long booming punts from him are long gone. He can give you hang time or distance but not both. I think the last game of the year is sticking out in everyone's mind. Watching Blount go crazy on a wet field, in a rain storm, with nothing to play for is skewing people's thoughts imo. When you look at the stats about touchbacks and return yards it shows that they were more middle of the pack than as bad as some would suggest.

Where coaching did show as a weakness was in the return game. We were used to seeing electric returns and got none of them last year. That certainly needs to be worked on. I know some of you don't care for football outsiders but it is interesting to see that the Bills had the 4th worst disadvantage in the hidden category as well as the 12th worst weather factor for special teams. ST certainly wasn't the strength it had been in years past but I think it has become the whipping boy for why they finished 6-10. Personally I attribute it much more to qb carousel, run d, inability to convert and stop the other team from converting 3rd and whatever (specifically 3rd and long for the d).