Marrone Loves Cordy Glenn

Cash

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why would anyone want to take a T at 9 when we can find studs like Glenn in the 40s?

Find another stud OL guy in the 40s or 70s this year and draft another position at 9!

And Eric Wood at 28, Levitre (so overrated but a good player) at 51, and Jason Peters undrafted. Drafting a RT at #9 would be awful. But instead of Spiller would could have Bryan Bulaga. He's a franchise changer right there!

That he / she made some valid points and appreciated his or her perspective...that some people on this board will find some of his statements invalid / wrong / or just choose to be generally negative but that in my opinion, his thoughts are on point with where the BILLS stand in respect to Cordy Glenn, the LT position as a whole, and the 2014 NFL Draft relating to BILLS' team needs and Offensive Line. Does that help?

(and FWIW, that was a quick post while multi-tasking, thus the poor conveyance of thought... :doh: )

Just messing with you, but, it is hard for us older folks to keep up! :D

I'll re-post here what I just posted in another thread, as this is a better place and I didnt want to start my own in case it has been covered.

IMO, the Bills should take Evans #1 if he is available, a no brainer.

Just say no to any OT at #9, regardless of who he is. I think if we draft an OT we almost automatically lose Cordy Glenn in two years, who I predict will be one of the very best LT's in the game. He's already very good. We will likely resign him if we draft an OT in round 2 or 3. If we have one of the top three OTs at RT, he will sign a four year deal for 13+ mil or so, and be totally disgruntled if Glenn would sign a big deal in a year or two, knowing he won't play LT and won't get a massive offer from Bills. By year three he will want to be out the door.

OR, the more likely scenario is the Bills will say we can lose Glenn because we have his replacement, and then we will be in the same position as this year.

Get a solid RT and re-sign Glenn, it's a much better option.

I sense a little pessimism there. ;)

I'm not sure in a year like this that drafting an OT at 9 gets the value a team needs drafting in the top 10. They need more talent at the WR position and might very well secure a decent OT in the second. OTOH, OT's (like QB's) tend to be over-drafted and so it depends on where they see the drop-off at both positions. That is, if they really see WR and OT as needs, which I hope they do.

Either way, they know they need to give Manuel all the opportunity to win-now.

I sense a little pessimism there. ;)

I'm not sure in a year like this that drafting an OT at 9 gets the value a team needs drafting in the top 10. They need more talent at the WR position and might very well secure a decent OT in the second. OTOH, OT's (like QB's) tend to be over-drafted and so it depends on where they see the drop-off at both positions. That is, if they really see WR and OT as needs, which I hope they do.

Either way, they know they need to give Manuel all the opportunity to win-now.

If it's Robinson or Matthews maybe they consider the value too good to pass up. If it is Lewan I hope like hell that they run the other way.

Personally Evans is at the top of my "likely to be available" player list. If not him I really hope that they trade back. (assuming that they don't trade up all the way ;) )

I know I'm in the minority on this one, as I think the Bills really really need to solidify more then just RT on that O line. Think about the current O line going full bore against the Bills D line, and what the end result would be...exactly.

I see three positions that need upgrading, and some solid depth behind the starters. Rather then some random waiver wire pickups who may or may not be able to be an adequate backup.

I wouldn't be upset if the Bills drafted Taylor Lewan and had him play RT. To me it would be such a benefit to be able to replace the LT without much drop off should a serious injury occur to Glenn. Then the prospect of having a solid RT to protect that side should opposing teams choose to move their best pass rushers from left side to right side would be huge upgrade.

However, i would rather see the Bills trade back to around 15-17 and draft OT Zack Martin who can play any position on that line. Meanwhile picking up an extra second round pick with that trade. Then drafting TE A Seferian-Jenkins or TE Troy Niklas. Then with the second, second round pick draft OG Gabe Jackson, or David Yankey. Doing this would really help build a better line to protect all those second year QB's

I know I'm in the minority on this one, as I think the Bills really really need to solidify more then just RT on that O line. Think about the current O line going full bore against the Bills D line, and what the end result would be...exactly.

I see three positions that need upgrading, and some solid depth behind the starters. Rather then some random waiver wire pickups who may or may not be able to be an adequate backup.

I wouldn't be upset if the Bills drafted Taylor Lewan and had him play RT. To me it would be such a benefit to be able to replace the LT without much drop off should a serious injury occur to Glenn. Then the prospect of having a solid RT to protect that side should opposing teams choose to move their best pass rushers from left side to right side would be huge upgrade.

However, i would rather see the Bills trade back to around 15-17 and draft OT Zack Martin who can play any position on that line. Meanwhile picking up an extra second round pick with that trade. Then drafting TE A Seferian-Jenkins or TE Troy Niklas. Then with the second, second round pick draft OG Gabe Jackson, or David Yankey. Doing this would really help build a better line to protect all those second year QB's

I don't necessarily disagree with your first line. I am not a fan of Chris Williams (at least at this point). I was hoping that they would sign at least 1 solid starter on the OL in free agency. I hope that he proves me wrong.

I fully expect WR to be their first pick but I hope that RT is next. In addition, I would like to see them get a small school prospect in the mid rounds that can play multiple positions. Maybe that kid from NDSU?

It hasnt been talked about much....but I fully believe that some of this cap space they are saving is to secure this guy when the time comes

I agree... and in that context, we occasionally hear talk on the board about flipping him to RT and drafting a new LT. I think would be folly and set off the fast track to Glenn wanting to leave Buffalo. A flip to RT would be seen as undercutting his value in getting him to sign a new contract. He's a LT and should be paid like one.... or someone else will.

This

That is why I have been against OT at 9 from the beginning. You do not take a RT in the top 10. You may take a guy to play LT and it turns out that he doesn't have the feet so he remains on the right side. Anthony Davis is the only guy that I can think of drafted in the top 10 with the intention of not blocking the blindside. Lane Johnson was drafted to play with a left handed QB. You certainly would not do it in a draft this deep. Maybe you would have considered it last year.

I think I agree, but there's a devil's advocate in me that says you wouldn't mind a RT with the talent to play LT should the worst occur.

I still think a playmaking WR or TE would be my pick, unless Clowney or Mack slip further than can be believed.

The smart thing, with Cordy's blessing, would be to do nothing but show interest in the Top 3 Tackles... Telegraph that that's the pick you're going to make so that nobody jumps in front of us to grab Evans. Given Minnesota's needs, I can see them happily dropping back a few and still getting one of their targets. The Titans, Giants and Rams all have to be viewing Evans as who they want & realistically can get out of the first round.

You don't draft a Right tackle or a backup LT at #9. #9 should be an all-pro impact player who contributes right away. Unless there is absolutely no value at an other position in which case you trade down

You don't draft a Right tackle or a backup LT at #9. #9 should be an all-pro impact player who contributes right away. Unless there is absolutely no value at an other position in which case you trade down

So, if the BPA is an offensive tackle you don't take him because you already have one of those? Assuming he starts at RT from day 1 what's the problem? You've solidified your line, now get the fast guys.

So, if the BPA is an offensive tackle you don't take him because you already have one of those? Assuming he starts at RT from day 1 what's the problem? You've solidified your line, now get the fast guys.

its tough because at that spot you will typically hope for more value than a good RT. if someone else sees that player as a LT, hopefully theyd be willing to trade up and give LT value, while you simply give up RT value

if truly the guy is clearly BPA (and not just best player, but also best value option including trades), take the RT, and so be it... but you just got a little unlucky with how the chips fell for you.

Edited by NoSaint

I guess that my issue is that you can find quality RT throughout the draft. Pretty much every team does that. I subscribe to the Polian school of thought that the top half of the 1st round is for: pass rush, QB, LT and elite skill players. Those are the guys that are hardest to find throughout the draft and then they rarely hit the free agent market. If they do you have to pay a premium (Mario) or they have their share of issues (DJax).

Look at how many quality OG and RT were available this year for a decent price. Strief, Howard, Asamoah, etc... You can always find solid starters at less impactful positions. The same goes for S and run stuffing LB.

I'm ok with the Bills stock piling picks by moving down. From 9 to 15 and pickup a 2nd and a 7th. Ebron, Martin or Dix should be there.

We could also execute the double move down and get another 2nd by dropping to like 23.

I guess that my issue is that you can find quality RT throughout the draft. Pretty much every team does that. I subscribe to the Polian school of thought that the top half of the 1st round is for: pass rush, QB, LT and elite skill players. Those are the guys that are hardest to find throughout the draft and then they rarely hit the free agent market. If they do you have to pay a premium (Mario) or they have their share of issues (DJax).

Look at how many quality OG and RT were available this year for a decent price. Strief, Howard, Asamoah, etc... You can always find solid starters at less impactful positions. The same goes for S and run stuffing LB.

This is why I can't see them passing up Evans (or Watkins if he should miraculously drop to 9). The Bills, knock on wood, have an elite pass rusher, strong corners, and very good LT all of which are young (Mario being the closest to 30) and whatever anyone thinks about their "QB needs" they have expressed they won't take one in the 1st at least. That leaves other game-changing players at other positions - WR being the skill position they need the most and a big, physical, fast one at that (who can also block btw).

Edited by YoloinOhio

its tough because at that spot you will typically hope for more value than a good RT. if someone else sees that player as a LT, hopefully theyd be willing to trade up and give LT value, while you simply give up RT value

Again, I'm not advocating tackle, but, when someone says that you shouldn't take a tackle because the value isn't there I disagree. Teams get better by getting better players. If the team has two bookend tackles and the positions are solidified for the next 2 years (and hopefully beyond) then that's a great thing. I like Evans at 9. If he's not there then tackle may be the way to go.

Edit...seeing Kirby's post...NS says a good RT...Kirby mentions a quality RT...I would expect that a player chosen at 9 would start from day one at RT and if he is only good or "quality" then the Bills lose. My expectation for a player taken in the top 10 (especially with the way this draft may fall) would be "star."

I don't see a star pass rushing DE at 9. Tell me who if not Evans. (please no Ebron...9 is too high for him)

Again, I'm not advocating tackle, but, when someone says that you shouldn't take a tackle because the value isn't there I disagree. Teams get better by getting better players. If the team has two bookend tackles and the positions are solidified for the next 2 years (and hopefully beyond) then that's a great thing. I like Evans at 9. If he's not there then tackle may be the way to go.

That is surely sound logic. Although to me, that would assume there is not a very good WR, TE, LB, DE or stud S available at #9, which is somewhat hard to believe there wouldn't be. The OT available would have to be rated SO FAR ahead of the top player at any of those positions in order to justify doing it then, and that is not even considering the very real prospect of losing either Glenn or that OT in 2-3 years, which is not what you want out of a #9 overall.

I have said this before and I will say it endlessly, there is no such thing as BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE in the terms that people use it, including the guys that actually draft players. It doesn't exist and never has existed. In fact, it's downright stupid.

Every single pick in every single round in every single draft in every single year in every single sport is the exact same thing: You look at the BPA on your board, and you look at the BPA at the highest positions, repeat, positions, of need, AND you look at the BPA at the lesser positions of need, and then and only then do you decide between those 5-7 players which of them is going to help you the most, with all of the other factors playing into it (like money at that position, how deep is that position in the draft and on your team.)

No team has ever, once, ever, just automatically taken the BPA. A lot of times after reflection it turns out that the best choice is indeed that BPA, but no one has ever just looked at who is the top player available at the time and just selected him without considering the other possibilities. Not once. Ever.

It is ALWAYS a comparison shopping decision between BPA, BPA at the 2-3 top positions of need, and BPA at lesser positions of need. Always.

You know how there are really no absolutes?

That's an absolute.