What about a trade with Chicago?

The Bears are in a desperate need for a DL and so are many team behind them. I think the Bills should try to pull a trade off with them at 9 to give them the best DL available. We pick up their 1st, 3rd, and 5th round picks, draft Ebron at 14 grab a big WR at 2 then use the rest to fill out our lineup... Thoughts?

How about TBD trading trade-down threads with other team's fan boards? We can come up with a formula - say our 9 pick would be worth maybe two threads from another board whose team has the 14th pick. Might make it easier to endure the long month of speculation ahead.

Please no more, however well reasoned, theoretical trade threads. None of them EVER materialize.

Trades are fun to think about, though, and occasionally drool over. But like many other fantasies, trade fantasies don't usually come true.

Why did they move the draft to friggin' MAY?!?!

The Bears are in a desperate need for a DL and so are many team behind them. I think the Bills should try to pull a trade off with them at 9 to give them the best DL available. We pick up their 1st, 3rd, and 5th round picks, draft Ebron at 14 grab a big WR at 2 then use the rest to fill out our lineup... Thoughts?

Trading down for anything other than an extra 2nd Round Pick is basically a waste of time...I think the number is something like 30% of 3rd Round picks become starters for 3 years or more, and only 6% ever make the Pro Bowl... B-)

What DL are you suggesting they trade up for? Did you even consider that part of it because outside of Clowney and Mack there might not even be another DL taken before they pick. Barr may be drafted in the 9-14 range but he is more of a LB then DL. Donald is expected to go in the teens so I don't see who they would be trading up for

Edited by Max997

What do you mean by DL? What player are you referring to? This is basically the most important part of a team after the QB. Why would you ever give away any of these guys as they are all very good.

How about we draft where we are and make good decisions? That would be boring, but most effective. If everyone is gone by #9 then aggressively trade down and make good decisions. You only trade up when you believe you are a player away.

The team I think could trade up is the 49ers. They have so many picks, and are that good, they can afford it.

Trades are fun to think about, though, and occasionally drool over. But like many other fantasies, trade fantasies don't usually come true.

Good response! What else are we supposed to talk about??

What DL are you suggesting they trade up for? Did you even consider that part of it because outside of Clowney and Mack there might not even be another DL taken before they pick. Barr may be drafted in the 9-14 range but he is more of a LB then DL. Donald is expected to go in the teens so I don't see who they would be trading up for

Aaron Donald could be a target. Also Louis Nix is a possibility to climb draft boards.

Trading down for anything other than an extra 2nd Round Pick is basically a waste of time...I think the number is something like 30% of 3rd Round picks become starters for 3 years or more, and only 6% ever make the Pro Bowl... B-)

I agree with your point - it is a point that some here miss. I think of this every time I read someone criticizing the Bills for "blowing" a 3rd round pick on TJ Graham or some similar rant.

Yet, you can't fill out a competitive roster with only 1st and 2nd round picks. Whether it be by skill, luck or a combination, a team has to hit on some of these later picks to be successful.

you have no idea. We planned our wedding for the first week of May purposely so that I wouldn't miss the draft. And then.... Bammmm!!!! The NFL pulls this crap on me.

The draft was moved back as part of the NFL's big plan to have one event every month during the offseason. Free agency in March, schedule release in April, draft in May and camp in June

I agree with your point - it is a point that some here miss. I think of this every time I read someone criticizing the Bills for "blowing" a 3rd round pick on TJ Graham or some similar rant.

Yet, you can't fill out a competitive roster with only 1st and 2nd round picks. Whether it be by skill, luck or a combination, a team has to hit on some of these later picks to be successful.

Agreed...No question more picks is almost always better than less...And depth is ultra-important...

But specifically in this Draft I don't think it's worth a trade down from #9 to #14 for anything less than a 2nd round pick...#14 is a potentially tough spot for the Bills in this Draft...Reason being there is a good chance that Matthews, Evans, Ebron, and Lewan are all gone in the top 13...And while the Bills may not have a specific need they are shooting for in the 1st Round, I think if WR, TE, and OT are eliminated it would be a huge mistake...It's just a bit too risky...I think it's easy to imagine that Clowney, Robinson, Watkins, Manziel, Mack, Bortles, Bridgewater, Matthews, Lewan, Evans, Ebron, and Barr all go in the top 13...And if one player slides out of that top 13, I would guess there is a decent chance it would be Bridgewater...That would mean another player the Bills may like would slide in...

It's just too much of a risk right now without knowing who would still be there at #14...If you could assure me right now that one from Evans, Ebron, Matthews, or Lewan would still be on the board at #14 then we can talk... :thumbsup:

you have no idea. We planned our wedding for the first week of May purposely so that I wouldn't miss the draft. And then.... Bammmm!!!! The NFL pulls this crap on me.

Dude...Do you love her?!?!???

For the next 40 days, there is nothing else to do, but imagine and anticipate. I’ve been following the trade to #1 rumor (Clowney makes most sense, Manziel makes no sense), but I think Whaley lets the draft come to him at 9. Depending on who is there at 9, and, say, the 49ers want to give us half of their 6 Top 100 picks for a downfield receiver to pair with Crabtree, I think Bills would score major players. Bills have done it before with Cordy and Kiko. I’ve simulated the trade with the 49ers, but I’m also looking at Rams and Browns.

BILLS trade their 9 to SF for their RD1#30, RD2#56, RD3#77, RD5#170

SF takes Cooks, Evans or Lee

30-Zack Martin OG Notre Dame

41-Taylor Lewan OT Michigan

56-Davante Adams WRF Fresno State

73-A Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington

77-Chris Borland ILB Wisconsin

109-Terrence Brooks FS Florida State

149-Ty Zimmerman SS Kansas State

170-Michael Schofield OT Michigan

185-Rashaad Reynolds CB Oregon State

224-Connor Shaw QB South Carolina

BILLS drop to #13 and pick up RAMS RD2#44

STL wants Watkins and Pryor at 2 and 9

1 13 Buffalo Mike Evans WRF Texas A&M

2 41 Buffalo Taylor Lewan OT Michigan

2 44 Buffalo Lamarcus Joyner FS Florida State

3 73 Buffalo Troy Niklas TE Notre Dame

4 109 Buffalo Anthony Steen OG Alabama

5 149 Buffalo Max Bullough ILB Michigan State

6 185 Buffalo Brock Vereen SS Minnesota

7 224 Buffalo Connor Shaw QB South Carolina

BILLS trade their 9 to CLE for their RD1#26, RD2#35

1 26 Buffalo Zack Martin OT Notre Dame

2 35 Buffalo Shayne Skov ILB Stanford

3 73 Buffalo A Seferian-Jenkins TE Washington

4 109 Buffalo Lache Seastrunk RBF Baylor

5 149 Buffalo Cody Latimer WRF Indiana

6 185 Buffalo Brock Vereen SS Minnesota

7 224 Buffalo Connor Shaw QB South Carolina

Edited by Astrobot

Please no more, however well reasoned, theoretical trade threads. None of them EVER materialize.

Short memory. Many people thought that trading down to St. Louis was possible just last season and it happened.

Sorry, but I can't see Lewan dropping to 41 or even Martin to 26! Big shock if that happens. My bet is they don't get past 20 even if the Bills pass on Lewan. At least four OTs go in the first 20 picks. Rams, Browns, Bucs, Bills, Dolphins all need help at OT and realize they won't win without OL. OT was at a premium last year and will be again this year. I can only hope the Bills #9 will be the best OT on the board and that is likely to be Lewan. I thnk he will be a keeper for years to come. Just my opinion.