Johnny Manziel thread

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about time somebody called him out for what he really is a 3rd round draft pick nothing more nothing less small body qb will get crushed when he gets hit

I'm a Manziel fan and I always favor taking the QB.....even in an excellent draft class like this one.

The ceiling on what Manziel could potentially bring to your franchise dwarfs anything that the Watkins, Ebron, Mack, Robinson, Clowney etc.. could bring.......even if they had a HOF career.

If he brings his winning ways with him......along with his incredible popularity/marketability.......he could get you a stadium built via a broadened regionalization and legions of new young fans.

If he falls flat on his face......oh well, you missed on one pick.

I'm a Manziel fan and I always favor taking the QB.....even in an excellent draft class like this one.

The ceiling on what Manziel could potentially bring to your franchise dwarfs anything that the Watkins, Ebron, Mack, Robinson, Clowney etc.. could bring.......even if they had a HOF career.

If he brings his winning ways with him......along with his incredible popularity/marketability.......he could get you a stadium built via a broadened regionalization and legions of new young fans.

If he falls flat on his face......oh well, you missed on one pick.

Too many ifs. And the last one is worse than just "oh well."

Too many ifs. And the last one is worse than just "oh well."

To many ifs as opposed to what? First round picks are all about "ifs".

The billion dollar impact aside, IF a wr or OT pans out for you.....he will give you 7-9 years worth of useful service. A good QB can give you 14-15 years. I mean, how many players are left in the NFL from Peyton Manning, Drew Brees or Tom Brady's draft classes? Most of the good players from those drafts have been out of the league for many years......yet those guys are going strong.

Building an organization is about a lot more than hitting on every first round pick and no organization is in greater need of what a top QB could bring than this Bills organization. Winning is just the start of what they need going forward.

To many ifs as opposed to what? First round picks are all about "ifs".

The billion dollar impact aside, IF a wr or OT pans out for you.....he will give you 7-9 years worth of useful service. A good QB can give you 14-15 years. I mean, how many players are left in the NFL from Peyton Manning, Drew Brees or Tom Brady's draft classes? Most of the good players from those drafts have been out of the league for many years......yet those guys are going strong.

Building an organization is about a lot more than hitting on every first round pick and no organization is in greater need of what a top QB could bring than this Bills organization. Winning is just the start of what they need going forward.

OK, so you would take Manziel if he is there at 9. Then you'd do what? Have him split reps with EJ or take the majority of them? And if he can't beat EJ out because EJ has over a year more in the system? Or if EJ gets hurt again and Manziel say, plays 10 games and looks as bad as you think EJ did, you draft another QB in the 1st round next year?

Manning was a no-brainer. Brady was a lucky 6th rounder and found money. Drew Brees, if you had your way, would have been benched or cut after his rookie season.

What reminds you of McCoy?

Manziels' resume speaks for itself. I can see being on the edge about him, but I don't understand the "he'll flop" logic. Maybe he won't win 17 Super Bowls, but does anyone really think he won't have any success? I mean, even Vince Young had some success.

If you were a Tenn. fan would you consider VY "success" at finding "The Man", that franchise QB?

OK, so you would take Manziel if he is there at 9. Then you'd do what? Have him split reps with EJ or take the majority of them? And if he can't beat EJ out because EJ has over a year more in the system? Or if EJ gets hurt again and Manziel say, plays 10 games and looks as bad as you think EJ did, you draft another QB in the 1st round next year?

Yes, if Manziel busts, you would go back to the well the following year with another QB. (Or hopefully EJ improves). It's a win-win situation. Manziel is a good QB, or you have failed to upgrade the team so that you are in a better position to draft a QB the following year and not have to hope 8 teams pass on someone. The only position the Bills should be keeping stocked are offensive linemen anyway. To protect rookie QBs that come through until we find one that is good. And maybe some receiving weapons as well.

Yes, if Manziel busts, you would go back to the well the following year with another QB. (Or hopefully EJ improves). It's a win-win situation. Manziel is a good QB, or you have failed to upgrade the team so that you are in a better position to draft a QB the following year and not have to hope 8 teams pass on someone. The only position the Bills should be keeping stocked are offensive linemen anyway. To protect rookie QBs that come through until we find one that is good. And maybe some receiving weapons as well.

Again, no team in the modern history of the NFL has done this. And Manziel was a good college QB. How he fares in the NFL is anyone's guess, and you'll probably find as many people who think he'll succeed as be a bust.

Do you own a football team? The Cleveland Browns perhaps? Their coach found himself on the "one and done" system last year.

I'm not sure that works for an NFL QB too much

If you were a Tenn. fan would you consider VY "success" at finding "The Man", that franchise QB?

Record of 8-5 as a rookie, with 4 4th quarter comebacks. 19 TD's to 12 INT's. Offensive rookie of the year. 2 time Pro-bowler. Took his team to the playoffs. Won eight of his ten starts in 2009. 98.6 QB rating in 2010. I'd say Tenn fans were mighty happy his first couple of years. If not for Kerry Collins having a fluke year and stealing the starting job, VY might still be there.

Now, was he their starter for 10+ years with a Superbowl victory? No. But how many QB's are? I'd be happy with a playoff berth, I don't need to judge every QB by the Peyton Manning/Tom Brady standard of QBing.

Johnny may take his team to the playoffs. RG3 did. Johnny might not be a future HoFer. But I'll bet he wins games, and if he's drafted to the Browns, give them a playoff berth. Johnny is probably smarter than VY was. I doubt his career will be plagued with the same issues.

Edited by FireChan

Again, no team in the modern history of the NFL has done this. And Manziel was a good college QB. How he fares in the NFL is anyone's guess, and you'll probably find as many people who think he'll succeed as be a bust.

Manziel wasn't just "a good college QB". He was arguably the most productive and impactful QB the NCAA has ever seen. He didn't play in some kind of short passing, number inflating system. He played in the SEC.....so he played the best competition possible. Nearly beat Alabama twice....with a whole lot less talent on his side. I agree that he has room to improve but I think at this point, people are over-thinking this. This is exactly the kind of a talent you take a chance on. But I also think that on draft day he is long gone before the Bills can even start to consider the possibility of getting him.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Manning was a no-brainer. Brady was a lucky 6th rounder and found money. Drew Brees, if you had your way, would have been benched or cut after his rookie season.

The answer is pretty simple......EJ and Manziel would get all of the snaps in OTA and then they get all of them in camp until a winner is chosen. Couldn't care less how that effects Thad. If EJ wins the job, then so be it. I haven't given up on EJ yet, but I do realize that it could just as easily be pretty clear that he ISN'T the guy by midseason next year......whether it be more accumulations of injuries......or teams just watching tape and magnifying the weaknesses they have identified in his limited exposure last season. If you assume you have seen the worst of EJ......then you are guilty of not learning from the past 14 years of QB play. For example: EJ struggles badly with accuracy to his left. He doesn't get his shoulders in line with his target and throws across his body because of shabby footwork. He obviously had a NUMBER of issues this year.......but to assume that they were all fully taken advantage of is dead wrong. If there are other weaknesses, coaches like Belichick and Ryan will find them. There is a reason why the JP Losmans, Trent Edwards, Mark Sanchez don't just continue on an upward trajectory. They don't just flame out at 25.....they just get exposed. In the event that Manuel turns into the hot mess that I think he just as easily could, then Manziel begins his development earlier so the Bills aren't starting with a rookie QB in year 3 of Marrone.

Regardless of whether or not he is liked universally...I think it's pretty easy to figure that one of the QB needy teams in the Top 8 is going to fall in love with Manziel...I'm not sure who it will be, and a lot will depend on who goes where at the top...But the fact is Houston, J-Ville, Cleveland, Oakland, and Minnesota could all take QB's...That's 5 teams and 3 QB's...Some team is going to jump at the chance to take him... B-)