We need to pick a tackle in the 1st or 2nd

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What gets me is the mentality of some fans here regurgitating the same philosophy of the franchise the last 14 years. I wonder why that is....

Its OK to draft a DT with the 3rd overall pick, but OT's can be found in the 3rd round.....which of course is complete and utter nonsense. To teams other then the Buffalo Bills, a blue chip O linemen is just as important as a D linemen.

2010 draft--#4 overall Redskins, Trent Williams OT-- #6 Seattle, Russell Okung OT--#11 San Francisco, Anthony Davis OT-- #17 San Francisco, Mike Iupati OG-- #18 Pittsburgh, Maurkice Pouncey C- #23 Green Bay, Bryan Bulaga OT.

What do all those teams have in common? Yea, that's right. They all have made the playoffs since 2010, and the Packers- Steelers, 49ers, Seahawks have all recently been to a super bowl. Seattle also used a #1 pick on an OT in 2011.

Funny, you forgot about Jason Smith (#2) Rams, Jake Long #1 Fins and now the Rams, Joe Thomas (#3) Browns, Eugene Monroe (#8) Jags and has been traded, Michael Oher (#23) on his 2nd team, our Chris Williams (#14), Cherilus (#14) on 2nd team, Levi Brown (#5) traded and cut by the Steelers, Jeff Otah (#19) is he even in the league anymore?

Nit picking is fun!!!

Funny, you forgot about Jason Smith (#2) Rams, Jake Long #1 Fins and now the Rams, Joe Thomas (#3) Browns, Eugene Monroe (#8) Jags and has been traded, Michael Oher (#23) on his 2nd team, our Chris Williams (#14), Cherilus (#14) on 2nd team, Levi Brown (#5) traded and cut by the Steelers, Jeff Otah (#19) is he even in the league anymore?

Nit picking is fun!!!

You're not wrong Biscuit and the opposite view is not right and vice/versa. At the end of the day, regardless of the position that is taken, I want someone who will dominate at his position. No busts.

You're not wrong Biscuit and the opposite view is not right and vice/versa. At the end of the day, regardless of the position that is taken, I want someone who will dominate at his position. No busts.

Agree 100%. I want the best player regardless of wr, TE, OT. I want the guy who will make every pro bowl. Unfortunately, we jsut don't know. :) I think Evans or Ebron will make a bigger impact than a RT, but I can't say for certain. And you can't the other way either.

Agree 100%. I want the best player regardless of wr, TE, OT. I want the guy who will make every pro bowl. Unfortunately, we jsut don't know. :) I think Evans or Ebron will make a bigger impact than a RT, but I can't say for certain. And you can't the other way either.

Indeed.

At nine tere will be "blue chip" players at most of the positions mentioned. ot, te, wr. Which one will fill the biggest hole from day one? The offensive tackle. We have good te's and we have good wr's. We have a good fa linebacker and backup running back. OT is the gap and if one of the top three tackles is there, that would be the way to go.

What gets me is the mentality of some fans here regurgitating the same philosophy of the franchise the last 14 years. I wonder why that is....

Its OK to draft a DT with the 3rd overall pick, but OT's can be found in the 3rd round.....which of course is complete and utter nonsense. To teams other then the Buffalo Bills, a blue chip O linemen is just as important as a D linemen.

2010 draft--#4 overall Redskins, Trent Williams OT-- #6 Seattle, Russell Okung OT--#11 San Francisco, Anthony Davis OT-- #17 San Francisco, Mike Iupati OG-- #18 Pittsburgh, Maurkice Pouncey C- #23 Green Bay, Bryan Bulaga OT.

What do all those teams have in common? Yea, that's right. They all have made the playoffs since 2010, and the Packers- Steelers, 49ers, Seahawks have all recently been to a super bowl. Seattle also used a #1 pick on an OT in 2011.

Since nobody caught on....meanwhile the Bills selected a RB in that 2010 draft. Which must have been one of those BPA type deals, because they clearly didn't need another RB. Especially considering the kid spent almost two years on the bench. While they were in desperate need of a LT to replace the all pro LT Jason Peters, who they traded away in the 2009 off season.

How did that elite skill position player at RB work out for Buffalo? Did they make the playoffs with him? BTW, how is the 100 million dollar DE working out? Did they make the playoffs with him? Or that #3 overall at DT, or the pro bowl DT, or the other #1 at DE on the other side. They make the playoffs with any of them?

So now everyone wants a WR at #9, or a TE at #9, and everyone thinks they will make the playoffs with those acquisitions! Its all about the QB, its always been about the QB, and the QB will not succeed unless he is properly protected.

Lets face it guys, as some fans are so into towing the company line that they just simply can't comprehend the value of having an elite right tackle. What is really sad is that this franchise feels the exact same way, and has felt that way for 14 years.

That's for sure. John Murphy was really laying it on thick on his show this evening. Yup, a right tackle in the first round- good luck "moving merchandise" Russ!!

I highly doubt the team drafts a RT at #9 even tho both Matthews, and Lewan could be there. So no worries.

I see the bills doing what the bills do best, and that's drafting DB's. Ha ha Clinton Dix would be their man.

My take is "IF" the Bills should ever build that line properly, and they could actually protect the QB long enough to allow him to develop. Long enough to allow him to make those 3-5 second throws, long enough to properly utilize Goodwin and Graham on deep throws. Bills stuff would be flying off the shelves once the team makes the playoffs.

DON'T DRAFT A LOT TO PLAY ROT!!!!! What is still true is that the elite offensive tackles go on the left side, the blind side for the QB, and very good ones can play on the right side. What is always true is that a pass rushing DE is less dangerous coming in from the right side of the offense, where the right handed QB can see him and react to him better than if he is coming in from the QB's left side. This year's draft is very well stocked with extra players. We can get a very good ROT lower in the first or at the top of the 2nd round, and ALSO get another first day draft pick. Here are the two choices as I see it. ...................... Scenario #1: draft a top 3 OT with pick #9. What you get is a guy who will definitely be able to handle the job. You also are under utilizing this guy and will probably not be paying him LOT money. He will be underpaid and as soon as he can, he will be holding out and wanting to test the market. One source says the average salaries for left and right tackles are $4.7M and $2.4M. Another source http://www.spotrac.c...ackle/limit-25/ shows the following; LOT Thomas ($10.9M), Okung $8.7M, Clady $8M, Long $8M..............the 13th LOT Baker $3.25M. Whereas at ROT the pay scale is different: Free $3.5M, Loadhold $3.4M, A. Smith $3.0M, Howard $2.8M, Pears $2.75M..... Okay, do you think if we can keep and have a happy LOT guy and stick him on the right side unless we pay him less than $7M?............................. Scenario #2......We trade down to pick #18 or so and in return get the 18th pick in the first and the second round. We use pick #18 to get the ROT and the 18th pick in the second round to get the 2nd or 3rd best offensive guard in the draft. We wind up better with scenario 2, I think.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

Hope the Bills get a good deal to trade down ,but I would still take a RT in 1st rd. Young QBs need more time or else 6-10

The Bills are very likely going to draft BPA. Judging by how the board seems to be shaking out, my semi-educated guess is that it'll be one of the following guys:

Evans

Ebron

Lewan

Donald

EDIT...this is all under the assumption that the following players are gone:

Clowney

Robinson

Mack

Manziel

Watkins

Matthews

Bortles

Edited by thebandit27

What do all those teams have in common? Yea, that's right. They all have made the playoffs since 2010, and the Packers- Steelers, 49ers, Seahawks have all recently been to a super bowl. Seattle also used a #1 pick on an OT in 2011. Pro Bowl QBs.

Fixed.

At nine tere will be "blue chip" players at most of the positions mentioned. ot, te, wr. Which one will fill the biggest hole from day one? The offensive tackle. We have good te's and we have good wr's. We have a good fa linebacker and backup running back. OT is the gap and if one of the top three tackles is there, that would be the way to go.

This may be true, but who the Bills actually pick will be determined by a number of other variables as well. They may decide a quality WR at 9 is a better option because they think they can get a good OT in round 2. Or they may decide that a OT is better choice because they may not find a quality OT in round 2. They may decide to go TE because they feel they can find a quality OT and WR later.

It all depends on how they have different positions rated, whether they feel they can wait until later as well as, as you say, determine which position is the greatest need. Who knows. They may not even consider OT as the greatest need.

Who says that they didn't sniff a tackle in FA?

I know WGR doesn't know everything but from everything they were told, it was not even on the radar (no calls, visits, etc.) I am hoping that is correct because I think a top oline brings a whole lot to the entire offense.