We need to pick a tackle in the 1st or 2nd

I know WGR doesn't know everything but from everything they were told, it was not even on the radar (no calls, visits, etc.) I am hoping that is correct because I think a top oline brings a whole lot to the entire offense.

I did not hear them say that...I did hear, both from someone I trust and someone on this board that has occasioned to know things inside OBD, that RT was indeed a position of interest in FA. Just turned out that the team did not value any of the FA RTs as much as the players/agents thought they should get.

I can't say I blame them--what with guys like Austin Howard getting $6M/year...that's crazy. Better to draft a guy in the 2nd/3rd round for 10% of the cost who can play just as well.

As for a RT at 9...my semi-educated guess is that it'll only happen if the team feels he's the best player on the board...they very well may feel that way, but I can nigh on guarantee you that they won't take a RT if they have another player rated more highly.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to pick a OT

We need to pick a QB

We need to pick a WR

We need to pick a TE

We need to pick a S

oh brother...you know what we need; to let the GM do his job! The guy appears to have a plan!

and the last I checked we have only 7 picks, so we can't pick everyone

The best thing for our team right now is to have a dominant O-line. For EJ, for the runners, to give our defense a rest, to score points and win games.

Consider teams like the Jets who we play twice a year that have a very strong pair of DT's in Richardson and Wilkerson. (Richardson is already the best in the league after one year) Our guards are both going to be helping Eric Wood all game handling those two, which leaves our tackles all alone on both sides. Look at what Miami just did with getting Houston DT Earl Mitchell to play alongside Starks and Cameron Wake.

If our tackles can't play well, that means a TE or Freddy or someone will have to help out blocking which means less effective offensive weapons. Picking a versatile stud tackle in the top ten makes a ton of sense to me. It's insurance if Glenn gets hurt, and in order to run the ball in this league consistently you need to have a beast at right tackle. There are many examples of high draft picks playing RT and staying there permanently because teams see what an impact they can have (San Diego, San Fran etc)

It occurs to me that the teams with great O lines always seem to go far into the post season, but not all teams with great skill players do.

This game is about the trenches and it always has been, always will be. We had 3 D lineman in the pro bowl this year, lets give our O line the highest priority in this draft and get setup for years to come.

We got Glenn in the 2nd, we can get a good RT in the 2nd this season. 1st round we need an Offensive weapon hands down!

Fixed.

How did those QB's manage to become pro bowl players?....were they developed behind bad lines, and on bad teams? Teams that had one good WR, a somewhat decent TE, poor coaching, bad schemes, predictable play calling?

The point was, all those teams have been in the playoffs since 2010, and drafted OT's early in the first round, and even OG & C's in the first round.

However, the Bills don't like to draft O linemen in the first round, as good players can be found in other teams dumpsters. aka, Legursky, Williams, Pears, Urbik, Brown, Young..and the list is almost endless over the last 14 years. Probably a big reason as to why no QB has found success in Buffalo over that time.

BTW, The Bills drafted one player in the first round in 09 who wasn't even an OT, how did that work out? The guy must be pretty good because last year they ran behind him 71% of the time.