Spikes confirmed visiting OBD. Confirmed Signed

According to a few lists and columns I read the market for Spikes is not very crowded. Is now the time to try and sweep in and get him at a reasonable price? I think he would better at MLB than Rivers and Kiko. Anyone still interested in Spikes or are people satisfied with Rivers?

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to a few lists and columns I read the market for Spikes is not very crowded. Is now the time to try and sweep in and get him at a reasonable price? I think he would better at MLB than Rivers and Kiko. Anyone still interested in Spikes or are people satisfied with Rivers?

Whoa whoa take it easy we don't pay for talent around here. (except for Mario, which was overpaid)

It seems like Spikes turned into a liability once teams learned that he can't cover at all. I know people are calling him a 2 down LB, but the Patriots were seeing a lot of passes with him on the field. I think the Bills would be better off passing on Spikes.

That's a pun, right?

"signing a 27 year old Brandon Spikes to a 'comfortable' contract would fall in place with these other signings - bringing in a guy who can fill an immediate need as a two-down run-stuffer, but who's not so over-priced that he didn't have to compete to get on the field.. "

~ from the 'Bills doing an excellent job' thread

work him out and see if he's ok.. he won't break the bank.. perfect option, that doesn't preclude drafting another ILB early

Edited by BackInDaDay

Didn't the guy say some pretty bad things about not liking Buffalo in the past???

He did...

But I'll say this much about the guy...If you look at his twitter account it is absolutely littered with Pats fans who loved the guy and hate seeing him go...He obviously made a mark there through his play...And no one questions his effectiveness and instincts vs. the run...The guy is pretty much exactly what the Bills need as the last piece of this puzzle they are trying to put together on Defense...With Rivers, Spikes, and Alonso as base down LB's the run D would be sick... B-)

He did...

But I'll say this much about the guy...If you look at his twitter account it is absolutely littered with Pats fans who loved the guy and hate seeing him go...He obviously made a mark there through his play...And no one questions his effectiveness and instincts vs. the run...The guy is pretty much exactly what the Bills need as the last piece of this puzzle they are trying to put together on Defense...With Rivers, Spikes, and Alonso as base down LB's the run D would be sick... B-)

I never said he wasn't decent or that he might not improve this team, but reread and think about what I said about him making comments about not liking Buffalo

Then think about the FA process, where BOTH sides have to agree on a contract. For the sounds of his comments, I'm going to say that he is not someone who is interested in signing a deal, especially not one of value for the Bills, to play in Buffalo.

Unless his opinion of Buffalo has changed and he is so desperate for a deal that no one else is offering him one, why would he chose to come somewhere he has trashed before? And shouldn't red flags go up that no one else seems to want to touch this guy thats apparently an upgrade here?

Didn't the guy say some pretty bad things about not liking Buffalo in the past???

Who cares/money talks. If the only NFL team offering you a job was in Kiev (hyperbole alert), wouldn't that still be more appealing than not being in the NFL at all?

Edited by JM57

It seems like Spikes turned into a liability once teams learned that he can't cover at all. I know people are calling him a 2 down LB, but the Patriots were seeing a lot of passes with him on the field. I think the Bills would be better off passing on Spikes.

This. The days of a "2 down LB" are over or should be. It's a passing league and hoping to take a guy off the field in "obvious passing situations" means he shouldn't be on the field in anything other than short yardage situations because all other downs have become "obvious passing situations."

I don't care if he said Buffalo sucks if the guy can stop the run which everyone else on the defense seems like can't and hasn't been able to for the last several years everyone else is just going to have to grow some thick skin.