Re: With the 1st pick of the 2014 Draft...

JTO

TE Scott Chandler was last years leading receiver on the team, and although Chan Gailey didn't put a high value on the TE position. It just might be that even though the team already has Moeaki, Chandler, that they could want an elite player at that position, and Ebron would fit that mold.

The thing is, I see many draft sites grading Ebron as an early to middle round pick, and going anywhere from 14 to 20, so the Bills could trade back and land him.

That said, It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Bills draft a safety with the #9.Hasean Haha Clinton-Dix. They lose a top safety, so they draft another.

All this talk of a right tackle is a waste of time considering who they just signed to play LG, as this team simply doesn't put a premium on RT position.

I have just started watching Ha Ha Clinton-Dix vids, and I have to say I really like the way that guy plays. He plays with an attitude that the Bills could use. I hate to think that they are just replacing Byrd, but I might be happy with Dix (I know...very funny. Ha Ha). Definitely prefer him to an O-lineman. He plays the run great, and tackles with such authority.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAUAN7nHy5U

Easy fellas, I mentioned this about a month ago and people started flipping out. LOL. I mentioned it because Whaley may see some similarities between Ha-Ha and Troy. I also said I would not be surprised if he was the choice, even though the board would possibly implode. :thumbsup:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They 100% are not taking a TE with the first pick. You need to look and see what they did in free agency. They re-signed 2 TE's to go along with Gragg who they are high on as well. They went out and got 2 LB's so cross that off the list as well. They will be looking at either OT or WR. I hope they go WR unless Matthews is still there at T.

The big belief around the league is that you need to build your receiving core like a basketball team. You have your small quick guys and then you have your big rebounders. I think if you go by that then we need someone like Evans or Benjamin on our team. I've been leaning towards Evans but I really question his maturity level. Benjamin was EJ's go to guy in college. I think if we can trade down and get him plus another pick that would be amazing. Check out his leaping ability and body control. It's off the charts. He has the size and speed to big a big time weapon for us, especially in the red zone:

This is how I'm viewing things now:

CB is set

LB is set

TE - from everything that has come out of the Bills appears to be set

RB is set

OL - paying Williams that much money you bet your butt that he's starting at LG, which only leaves RT up in the air still. Hairston? Draft? Pears?

WR - could add an elite player via draft

DL is set

S is not set unless they think Duke Williams is ready to go (which he may be)

So to me we're gonna have to address Safety, RT and possibly WR in the first 3 rounds and not in that order.

No offense, but that's the old style drafting philosophy that's made this team suck for over a decade.

For the first time in nearly forever, this team is in position to draft the highest rated player they have on their board - regardless of position. That's how you build quality depth and a championship team. They could very well go DT - especially if they are fortunate enough to trade down. They have a chance to start packing the squad with talent without regard to immediate needs. That would be a very good thing.

Someone else said this but it makes total sense - at pick 9, you don't take a RT...you can get a good RT in rounds 2-7. At pick 9 you take a playmaker and that has to be the best WR or TE/WR (Grahamlike player) available.

It was our Buddy Nix. When you're drafting in the top 10 spots you either draft someone who will score points, or get after the QB/make interceptions. Something to that effect. In essence - draft a play maker. Of course that's a very offensive viewpoint. pun intended :bag:

Trade down and Aaron Donald

This ....lybob, 'bout time we agreed on sumpfin' :thumbsup: It's the stealth pick. MD is in his final contract year and Kyle is getting a bit long-of-tooth. One of them might not be on the team very much longer. This is the Steeler way - stockpile the roster with quality so the naturally aging waves of players and their contracts can be replaced from within. We'll soon see if it's the Whaley way.

I have just started watching Ha Ha Clinton-Dix vids, and I have to say I really like the way that guy plays. He plays with an attitude that the Bills could use. I hate to think that they are just replacing Byrd, but I might be happy with Dix (I know...very funny. Ha Ha). Definitely prefer him to an O-lineman. He plays the run great, and tackles with such authority.

Yes, the board would likely implode and Bill in NYC's head might explode. :w00t: Regardless, I do think we're going to see The Bills take the BPA - according to their board - without (or at least very little) regard for position.

Oh, and hey Timmah G. !@#$ you. I hope EJ succeeds beyond our wildest imagination. Go write for the Miami Herald, or the Ft. Lauderdale Penny Saver, you hack.

Really, if you look at the makeup of this team, getting that stud receiver would really round out things. Sure, you can argue we need upgrades of our TE and OL, but you can add those in the '15 draft. Get the WR, give him a season to adjust, then get the TE/OL who can step right in and contribute. If EJ works out, this team can be dangerous this coming season and a contender the year after that. And if EJ doesn't work out, we'll have a team ready to roll with the right QB-- see the Seahawks before Russell Wilson.

Easy fellas, I mentioned this about a month ago and people started flipping out. LOL. I mentioned it because Whaley may see some similarities between Ha-Ha and Troy. I also said I would not be surprised if he was the choice, even though the board would possibly implode. :thumbsup:

Implode would be an understatement... :lol:

Clinton-Dix is very good...The thing is...right or wrong...The Bills had a plan for losing Byrd and that involved using 4th and 5th round picks last year on Safeties...There will always be players that entice you to wander from your plans path...Clinton-Dix is that kind of player...But at the end of the day you have to stick with your plan and execute it...I fully expect the Bills to stick with their plan...And I fully expect Clinton-Dix to be a good NFL Safety on another team...You just can't Draft them all... B-)

I doubt very much Whaley or any other GM sees even a little bit of Polamalu in Clinton-Dix. TP's explosiveness was off the charts coming out of college. Can't say the same for Ha Ha. Two totally different levels of athleticism. That's not to say he's not a 1st round pick, just that TP is explosive and Ha Ha isn't.

GO BILLS!!!

I doubt very much Whaley or any other GM sees even a little bit of Polamalu in Clinton-Dix. TP's explosiveness was off the charts coming out of college. Can't say the same for Ha Ha. Two totally different levels of athleticism. That's not to say he's not a 1st round pick, just that TP is explosive and Ha Ha isn't.

GO BILLS!!!

Totally agree...

I never saw anything like Troy Polamalu before he came in, and I doubt we'll ever see anything quite like him again...He's such an incredibly unique player...Literally one of my all-time favorite non-Bills...And I hate the Steelers...

I also don't think it's all that fair to compare any kid coming out to a lock 1st ballot Hall Of Famer...That's an incredible amount to live up to...Both for the player, and for the person making the comparison... :lol:

No offense, but that's the old style drafting philosophy that's made this team suck for over a decade.

For the first time in nearly forever, this team is in position to draft the highest rated player they have on their board - regardless of position. That's how you build quality depth and a championship team. They could very well go DT - especially if they are fortunate enough to trade down. They have a chance to start packing the squad with talent without regard to immediate needs. That would be a very good thing.

It was our Buddy Nix. When you're drafting in the top 10 spots you either draft someone who will score points, or get after the QB/make interceptions. Something to that effect. In essence - draft a play maker. Of course that's a very offensive viewpoint. pun intended :bag:

This ....lybob, 'bout time we agreed on sumpfin' :thumbsup: It's the stealth pick. MD is in his final contract year and Kyle is getting a bit long-of-tooth. One of them might not be on the team very much longer. This is the Steeler way - stockpile the roster with quality so the naturally aging waves of players and their contracts can be replaced from within. We'll soon see if it's the Whaley way.

Yes, the board would likely implode and Bill in NYC's head might explode. :w00t: Regardless, I do think we're going to see The Bills take the BPA - according to their board - without (or at least very little) regard for position.

Oh, and hey Timmah G. !@#$ you. I hope EJ succeeds beyond our wildest imagination. Go write for the Miami Herald, or the Ft. Lauderdale Penny Saver, you hack.

No offense taken, but I don't agree with you.

QB Johnny Manziel and CB Darqueze Dennard may be rated higher than Mike Evans or Ebron or any OT on the Bills board. You think we're taking either a QB or CB at 9? I don't. You can't simply throw position away and draft BPA at #9. If a RB was the BPA available at 9 would you draft a RB with Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller on the team already?

You draft BPA while also looking at the starters currently on your team and you try to come as close as you can to matching both slots - BPA and BPA that also happens to be a position you may need a starter/upgrade at.

Of course, there are always exceptions.

Also, don't think for a second that a team's needs aren't taken into account when a team ranks the prospects. So a team may naturally be more inclince to rank Manziel higher than Ebron just b/c they need a QB bad; doesn't necessarily mean that Manziel is really a better prospect than Ebron though. It's all relative.

For example, do you think the Falcons would draft Watkins at #6, or do you think they'll go with a defensive player or an OT? Watkins will probably be there when the Falcons draft and he's probably one of the top 3 players in the draft in terms of talent/potential, but the Falcons don't need another WR.

We took BPA with CJ Spiller a few years ago, and look what that has done for us.

I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong, there's no sure fire way of drafting (which is clear by all the 1st round busts in the NFL). If I was drafting at #9, I'd look at my team and figure out 2-3 positions that I really needed to improve and target BPA at one of those positions at #9. At #9 you'll be bound to have a top player at one of your positions of need. Pick your favorite and pray it works out.

Edited by bobobonators

They 100% are not taking a TE with the first pick. You need to look and see what they did in free agency. They re-signed 2 TE's to go along with Gragg who they are high on as well. They went out and got 2 LB's so cross that off the list as well. They will be looking at either OT or WR. I hope they go WR unless Matthews is still there at T.

The big belief around the league is that you need to build your receiving core like a basketball team. You have your small quick guys and then you have your big rebounders. I think if you go by that then we need someone like Evans or Benjamin on our team. I've been leaning towards Evans but I really question his maturity level. Benjamin was EJ's go to guy in college. I think if we can trade down and get him plus another pick that would be amazing. Check out his leaping ability and body control. It's off the charts. He has the size and speed to big a big time weapon for us, especially in the red zone:

I like this take. I am hoping the Bills have an opportunity to trade down. I am not sold on Evans, and I think they can get a very good tackle prospect in Round 2. I would love it if a trade down similar to last year were available. Benjamin and an Ot in the second would be a great draft.

When did they pick Gragg? Wasn't he supposed to be the athletic TE they were looking for? I hope they trade down a bit and get an extra 2nd rounder. We still need a lot of players to develop and the more picks the better the odds of finding a few they really turn out to be good NFL players. It's nice not to have a bunch of holes so that we can afford to do that.

I think a lot depends on Hairston's status. If we draft an OT with the potential to start (rounds 1-3) and Hairston is healthy, then we have a great battle in camp to figure out who the best five are for the line. If Hairston is done and we don't select an NFL ready OT, we have a problem. Young QB, great RB tandem both deserve a top end OL. D is about set, we didn't look that bad while Byrd was faking even with JL in there. The game is won and lost in the trenches.

A top WR would be nice, but unless Watkins is there I don't think anyone else is worth the chance to sacrifice a premier OT. We've got a lot of good #2 and #3 WRs but are missing a true #1. I won't be upset with Evans at 9 but I think it is a risky pick.

On the TE rant, Chandler signed so that should be a clue on Ebron. I used to live in KC and Moeaki is a solid TE but only seems to play the even number years. He's north of 250lbs, can block and still runs a decent 40. I think we're set at TE. IMHO.

I'm happy with the TEs that we have now we need a big WR like Evans. We can never have too many LBs so I would also be happy with Barr or Mosley & then go after Benjamin in the second.

Not sure on Evans, another Graham? We must address the OL. Last year was painful to watch where the line could get no push, often allowed DL penetration quickly into the backfield, and heavy pressure on the QB. RT and LG were the worst, however there was little push across the board when trying to move bigger aggressive DL off the ball.

I really want a big WR but I wouldn't overlook the possibility of a DE. We're not taking a RT at # 9 and just can't believe we take a TE at 9, even though Ebron is like taking another WR.

It will be fun to look at this next month, but as Gil Brandt says, this is the lying season for GM's and Coaches so don't beliEve one word they say. Follow their steps and remember they are all playing poker right now.

I know most of you know that,but when I read posts of what was said by the coach or GM on WGR or another show, i know there is no stock in what they are saying.

The Buffalo Bills Select, Eric Ebron out of the University of North Carolina. Just a hunch. After listening to Dougs interview yesterday he was asked what his favorite college game was. After a couple of seconds he replied, UNC vs Miami. Do yourself a favor, listen to the audio clip on WGR550.

This is a legit possibility. I think only one qb goes in first ten picks to Cleveland. So that means a run on the tackles mack Watkins likely gone before we pick. So with the draft deep at OT and WR take the biggest difference maker at his position in the draft. Ebron should be the pick here.

LV

Edited by LVBillsBackr

This is a legit possibility. I think only one qb goes in first ten picks to Cleveland. So that means a run on the tackles mack Watkins likely gone before we pick. So with the draft deep at OT and WR take the biggest difference maker at his position in the draft. Ebron should be the pick here.

LV

Jax seemingly announced their intention to draft a QB by trading Gabbert and extending Henne for a newbie to learn behind until he's ready.

GO BILLS!!!

To Your Mom- comparing Evans to Graham is like black & white. Graham is a little speedster that struggles to catch the ball. Evans is a big man with great hands that can go up & get the ball in traffic. Graham goes down if you breathe on him hard - Evans is a beast that is hard for defenders to get down. Please explain how you feel these 2 are similar.