Bills Top 9 War Room Picks for 1st Rd.

Owen

Bills War Room Draft Board......Could look something like this..

NOTE: These are players they want in order of preference in my opinion

1. DE Clowney .... most likely will be gone

2. OT Robinson ..... most likely will be gone

3. WR Watkins ...... most likely will be gone

4. OT Matthews .....There is a chance he is still on the board

5. OLB Mack ........ Most likely will be gone

6. WR Evans........ There is a chance he will be available

7. OT Lewan ....... There is a chance he will be available

8. TE Ebron ....... He should be available

9. MLB..Mosley ... He should be available

We never know which players will drop.. QBs might be hot for instance giving the Bills a better choice...

My order of Preference right now ... from what I have seen in free agency is: Draft OT Matthews,

WR Evans, or OT Lewan.. Bills need to find a Tall WR, and a starting OT in the draft..

Rule of Thumb is that the Bills will get one of the top 6 picks on this War Room Draft Board....

A trade could happen if a QB is wanted by another team... I doubt this will happen however.\

Not this year...Bills would be so lucky if it did however.

I think Clinton-Dix will sneak his way onto the draft board.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Clinton-Dix will sneak his way onto the draft board.

Into the top 10? Not sure about that...It's awfully crowded up there...

I'm also unsure about who is going to be the first Safety taken...Dix or Pryor...Both are very good prospects though...Pryor is a beast...Charles Davis said that he is hearing scouts are concerned about Dix's ability to cover man-to-man...Pryor did not play much man either...Nonetheless both are considered to be very, very good...I've read comparisons to Eric Berry and Earl Thomas...Which is crazy because those are two of the best safeties in the NFL... Just further proof of the crazy depth especially in the first round of this Draft... B-)

You can blame everyone but Chandler. However, common sense should tell you that 4 TDs in 30 games is true bottom of the barrel production for a TE and that it's a position the Bills need and will look for a huge upgrade in talent.

Also, common sense should tell you that the Bills just spent 2nd and 3rd round picks on WRs in their last draft and have no intention of drafting a WR in the first couple of rounds in 2014.

Finally, a great TE is a young QBs best friend. EJ Manuel is still on the launching pad. IMO Eric Ebron will be the Bills pick if he's still there at #9.

We'll have to agree to disagree, but common sense tells me I'm right. Teams have 3-4 WRs on the field at any one time and the Bills don't have a #1. They may have 2 twos or may one 2 and two threes, but they don't have a #1. You play with 0-2 TE's. Four beats 2.

Did you happen to answer the question about Ebron's whopping 3 TD's against NCAA competition this past season?

I would either go OT in this scenario, or trade back to get an extra pick to try and get that OT and Kelvin Benjamin later in the round.

I have done several mock drafts on Fanspeak and Mosley is always available, even after trading down to number 12 or 14.

If they pick a RT at 9 they should all be fired. Least important player on either side of the ball and no team wins games due to a dominant RT. LT, ok...RT never.

Top 10 picks should be impact players and difference makers, which no RT ever in NFL history has been.

They can get a starter at RT in the 3rd or 4th round and be completely fine---day 1 starter.

Let's stop the insanity with an RT at pick 9. They would get laughed out of the draft by other GMs and personnel people and deservedly so.

Go tell that to the Chargers. They are very happy with DJ Fluker.

Trade back, pick up an extra 2nd round pick. Depending on how far back the trade is, take Ebron, Benjamin or a RT. With the two second round picks, take whatever positions they didn’t take in round one. And in round 3 grab an ILB to develop and be ready in case Spikes leaves in 2015. (Skov or Borland would suit my taste).

Edited by purple haze

We'll have to agree to disagree, but common sense tells me I'm right. Teams have 3-4 WRs on the field at any one time and the Bills don't have a #1. They may have 2 twos or may one 2 and two threes, but they don't have a #1. You play with 0-2 TE's. Four beats 2.

Did you happen to answer the question about Ebron's whopping 3 TD's against NCAA competition this past season?

First off let me say I agree with you...I think the Bills will look WR before TE...And I think they probably should too...Especially if they believe Evans is a potential #1...

But I'm in the middle of this argument because I like Ebron too...And I think that he would bring a very unique match-up problem for opposing Defenses to deal with...In actuality Ebron sits in the middle of a TE and a WR...He's more TE size wise at 6-4-250...But his game is more WR...He's about the same speed as Kelvin Benjamin, and a bunch of other big WR's...He's a move-TE that would seek out mismatches and exploit them...He's much more of a receiver than he is a complete TE...But he can block a bit, and has the overall athletic ability to get much better in that area...If the Bills went with Ebron it would signal to me their preference for exposing mismatches in the middle of the field with Safeties and LB's...If they go with Evans I think they're swinging for the fences and hoping for the next Brandon Marshall to emerge...So anyway...I think either is OK...

Concerning the Ebron's TD deficiency most UNC followers I know (and I know a lot after living in Charlotte NC for 20 years...My brother-in-law and nephew are die-hard UNC fans) blame the QB inconsistency, the fact that UNC ran a spread Offense, and that teams paid a lot more attention to Ebron in the red zone...Which opened things up for others on the Tar Heels Offense...In other words, what he did at UNC in the red zone is not going to be what he does in the NFL red zone...If that makes any sense... B-)

I don't really understand what the Bills are going to try to do offensively so not knowing that it's hard to identify what they should do with that ninth pick.

The holes on D are a HUGE one at FS......and lesser holes at SSLB or MLB which are currently patched with situational run defenders. Under the Bills salary "hierarchy" those positions don't warrant top pay so they shouldn't even be considerations in rounds 1 or 2.

The early rounds are for your foundation talents.

So what are they going to do on offense? Smashmouth? No huddle full time again? The Chris Williams signing would seem to indicate a plan to run the ball a lot.........he is not strong in pass pro. But at the same time they don't really have the RB personnel or a good run blocking RT or versatile TE to be able to impose their will in the run game. If they plan to go more K-Gun......which would spread the defense out and lock them into personnel groupings and increase the running room for Spiller and Jackson......then IMO they really need better talent on the OL first and foremost. EJ is not a QB who is going to make his OL look better than they are so if he is your QB you need to buy all the time you can. I know people want a great playmaking pass receiver but if you are going to be putting 4 receivers into pass routes you are almost certain to get a mismatch whether your top receiver is elite or just good like Stevie Johnson.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Great thread on our upcoming draft...after the FA signings pretty apparent to me its going to be an offensive player...would be great to have an OT that can anchor the line for 5 years but quite possible we will trade down...With the teams following the Bills having specific needs(Lions need safeties and corners,Tenn needs a QB badly, Giants need D line help)I could see the moving back and allowing those teams to move up a few slots to get their man...I for one would love to have another 2nd or 3rd round pick and letting those teams slide on up to our #9 slot...

Great thread on our upcoming draft...after the FA signings pretty apparent to me its going to be an offensive player...would be great to have an OT that can anchor the line for 5 years but quite possible we will trade down...With the teams following the Bills having specific needs(Lions need safeties and corners,Tenn needs a QB badly, Giants need D line help)I could see the moving back and allowing those teams to move up a few slots to get their man...I for one would love to have another 2nd or 3rd round pick and letting those teams slide on up to our #9 slot...

Best case scenario IMHO would see the Bills trade down, grab an extra 2nd round pick, and still end up with Evans, Ebron, or Lewan in the 1st... B-)

First off let me say I agree with you...I think the Bills will look WR before TE...And I think they probably should too...Especially if they believe Evans is a potential #1...

I'm just trying to read the tea leaves at OBD (dangerous, I know!). When I put on the FO hat I just can't see them taking a TE. That's not an indictment of Ebron at all, I'm just playing devil's advocate with the TD question since that's been brought as what he'll bring.

I suppose if they were to trade back I'd soften my stance, but, I just don't see it at 9.

I'm just trying to read the tea leaves at OBD (dangerous, I know!). When I put on the FO hat I just can't see them taking a TE. That's not an indictment of Ebron at all, I'm just playing devil's advocate with the TD question since that's been brought as what he'll bring.

I suppose if they were to trade back I'd soften my stance, but, I just don't see it at 9.

Personally I think a gamble on greatness with Evans is the way to go...If the kid reaches his potential we've got the next Brandon Marshall or Alshon Jeffery...And our Offense just took a HUGE step forward...At worst I think he'll end up being a solid contributor...At this point I say why not...But I would much rather be able to trade down a couple spots and still land him...That would be ideal... :thumbsup:

Teams like the Pats and Saints use their freakishly athletically gifted TEs like a feature WR. That's how Ebron is going to be used in the NFL unless the OC is an idiot. Which ever team picks him will no doubt use him flexed out the majority of the time and this guy should rack up huge numbers due to the obvious mismatches being covered by small CBs or slow footed LBs. IMO you don't avoid picking players because the "group think" world says that TEs only serve as supporting players. Especially when your "group think" three WR offense had one of the worst redzone offenses in the NFL. The Bills need to change their thinking. Change their offense. Because continuing doing something that isn't working is a recipe for failure.

The Bills picking Ebron would be the dramatic change that I think the Bills offense needs. They would literally have a mismatch waiting to happen in every game. The offense would be run through Jackson/Spiller on the ground and Ebron in the air with occasional passes over the top to speedy WRs to keep the defense on their heels.

The three touchdown thing doesn't worry me that much. College football is weird in that some players are just better fits for the NFL than in college. He did show himself to be a real playmaker. That TD catch against Wake Forrest was truly outrageous. That's a guy who will know how it's done in the NFL.

Edited by 1billsfan

Give me my hat back !

i have been thinking the same all along. Even before the Chandler signing.

Bills would prefer a Niklas type i might guess , while hoping on the what's already in the bullpen to step up .

I think the Bills will go with best player available, but there is one other thing that I am certain they will plan for. They will do what ever they have to, to buy more time for EJ and to find ways opening holes for our running backs. If a highly graded OLman falls to them, they will jump at the chance.

Of course, the way things are looking, the top 2 OLman are going to be gone. That is where things start to go a little fuzzy in the prediction department. They could go WR, TE, LB, DL or even QB. My thinking is that whoever it is, it will be someone that Whaley or Marone thinks will have the biggest impact improving the team.

Teams like the Pats and Saints use their freakishly athletically gifted TEs like a feature WR. That's how Ebron is going to be used in the NFL unless the OC is an idiot. Which ever team picks him will no doubt use him flexed out the majority of the time and this guy should rack up huge numbers due to the obvious mismatches being covered by small CBs or slow footed LBs. IMO you don't avoid picking players because the "group think" world says that TEs only serve as supporting players. Especially when your "group think" three WR offense had one of the worst redzone offenses in the NFL. The Bills need to change their thinking. Change their offense. Because continuing doing something that isn't working is a recipe for failure.

The Bills picking Ebron would be the dramatic change that I think the Bills offense needs. They would literally have a mismatch waiting to happen in every game. The offense would be run through Jackson/Spiller on the ground and Ebron in the air with occasional passes over the top to speedy WRs to keep the defense on their heels.

The three touchdown thing doesn't worry me that much. College football is weird in that some players are just better fits for the NFL than in college. He did show himself to be a real playmaker. That TD catch against Wake Forrest was truly outrageous. That's a guy who will know how it's done in the NFL.

At this point, I'm favoring Ebron over Evans. Your assessment is spot on about Ebron: He can/should be used like the Saints use Jimmy Graham. He pretty much is a WR and would fill a gaping hole in the Bills lineup. How long has it been since this team has a had a legit TE? I know Chandler led the team in catches (somehow) but he just isn't dependable as a TE1. He'd be a perfect TE2 IMO.

If the biggest knock on Ebron is the fact that he isn't the best blocker, then that's fine with me. He's not going to be a 3rd OT. He will be split out abusing LB's with his speed and CB's with his size.

Also, getting an elite TE would help this offense out tremendously in the redzone. A TE like Ebron is a QB's best friend in those situations.

He can be on the field every single snap and help to keep defenses guessing on whether its a run or pass.

I don't know if he is a top 10 pick value wise but he will probably go pretty close to that. It all comes down to what players Whaley think will be there for him in the 2nd round & what position is deeper

Edited by ShhitGoose