Browns to sign Whitner

By watching those games, do you get the impression that EJ's game is not so far from being very good? I saw the team reach the red zone a lot on those games but we only got 3 points, if EJ can get better there those points could be huge.

Or he gets a reliable red zone target!!!

And the rams have just under $4 mil in cap space.

Saffold is on his way out, so that clears some room. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer7m

Drumbeat's strong on Glenville and Ohio State alum Donte Whitner coming home to the Browns to anchor Pettine's secondary.

Whitner is cheaper than Byrd and really wants to be in Cleveland. Have a feeling Byrd won't be too keen on playing for the Browns and wants (a lot) more money. Whitner will be beloved by the fan base. Win-win.

That happens all across the NFL. You aren't allowed to practice tackling and you get penalties if you tackle too hard. I agree Whitner does mess too many tackles going for the big hit but unfortunately, a lot of guys do.

He is a much better player than Searcy and Searcy was a very good blitzer last year.

Wait, seriously, you aren't allowed to practice tackling?

I've rarely, if ever, seen anyone get a penalty for a "classic" wrap tackle.

I don't know.....in 113 career starts Whitner has 1.5 sacks. Searcy has 3.5 sacks in 10 starts.

In order to get sacks you have to blitz and I don't remember Whitner blitzing at all with Jauron. I don't follow SF enough to know if he was used that way, I have a hunch Pettine will use him in that regard.

Well then how could they afford what Byrd wants?

20m signing bonus only counts 4m against the cap, and byrd likely isnt seeing that kind of bonus - just to point out the huge flexibility teams can have on structure.

Wait, seriously, you aren't allowed to practice tackling?

I've rarely, if ever, seen anyone get a penalty for a "classic" wrap tackle.

the number of full contact practices is nearing zero quickly.

I don't know.....in 113 career starts Whitner has 1.5 sacks. Searcy has 3.5 sacks in 10 starts.

I'm not sure stats like this are all that relevant to the position being played. There's a lot of safeties that are great in coverage and tackling, but are never asked to rush the quarterback. Now I'm not saying that Whitner is great at either, but I don't recall him ever being used as a pass rusher when in Buffalo. Searcy was certainly used in that capacity under Pettine. There's a little bit of apples and oranges here.

See he is a perfect example of its all about the money. SF is the #2 team in football and could get to a superbowl next year, Cleveland right now is worse than Buffalo and basically the crappiest Org. in the NFL. But he is willing to leave SF for Cleveland? Its all about the money and nothing more.

When is it not? I mean really? A pro has only so many years he can play. If you were that pro wouldn't you want to make the most of your career? If you were offered a lot of money for your job wouldn't you move? Yes, there are other aspects to the decision; family, friends, etc., but ultimately we all look out for ourselves. Why should an athlete be any different? Let's face it, a team would ax a player in a minute if they thought they could do better.

When is it not? I mean really? A pro has only so many years he can play. If you were that pro wouldn't you want to make the most of your career? If you were offered a lot of money for your job wouldn't you move? Yes, there are other aspects to the decision; family, friends, etc., but ultimately we all look out for ourselves. Why should an athlete be any different? Let's face it, a team would ax a player in a minute if they thought they could do better.

Whitner is one decent FA who could make an impact right away on the Browns who actually would rather be in Cleveland than SF. Not a lot of those types out there.

In order to get sacks you have to blitz and I don't remember Whitner blitzing at all with Jauron. I don't follow SF enough to know if he was used that way, I have a hunch Pettine will use him in that regard.

I recall we did send him blitzing occasionally, but it may have been him biting on play action.. He took a lot of flak for his twitter ramblings and Draft position but, IMO, he was a fine player for us on really bad teams.

Yes he does. Maybe while he is there he can get tased a few more time lol!! Either way, I hope Cleveland does sign him and pay him well. It's somehow refreshing to see a team with a front office that is dumber than ours.

http://deadspin.com/5208901/tazed-and-confused-at-ted-ginns-birthday-bash

DON'T TAZE ME BRO!

Too bad Lil Donte isn't going to the Jets.

I recall we did send him blitzing occasionally, but it may have been him biting on play action.. He took a lot of flak for his twitter ramblings and Draft position but, IMO, he was a fine player for us on really bad teams.

With George Edwards he blitzed more but Edwards was a really bad defensive coordinator. He wanted to pressure the QB but he wasn't creative or innovative doing it.

I have just started re-watching the Bills 2013 season (glutton for punishment), and Searcy had some rough moments, no doubt, but I don't think he is as awful as I remembered him being. Made some plays, particularly early on when he had more playing time. Not that it means much, but he scored the Bills first TD of the season! I like the physical aspect of his game. He can hit. Never thought about it before, but he does remind me a bit of Whitner (who I never hated as much as everyone else) a bit.

Hey Buftex – I know this is a little off topic but if you haven’t gotten too far into re-watching last season, I’m wondering if you wouldn’t mind keeping an eye on the rotation we had at safety over the course of the season? In some other threads there was the debate on who would take over for Byrd assuming he leaves. Some said (myself included) AW would slide over to FS and Searcy or Duke would take over at SS. Others stated that it would be a mistake to move AW from the SS spot since he played and excelled there all last season. I was under the impression that AW started the season at FS and Searcy started at SS with Leonard as the extra S/DB in nickel situations and then when Byrd came back, AW then shifted to SS and both Searcy & Leonard were the extra DB…but I can’t remember for sure.

Sorry to the OP, I am not trying to hijack the thread…I’m just not sure how else to bring that up since Buftex has already begun reviewing the games.

As for the topic of the thread, I couldn’t care less who Whitner signs with unless it’s with a team in the AFC East. Anyone that still has hard feelings towards him based on where he was drafted really needs to let it go. It’s not his fault; blame the FO that drafted him.

I thought I read that San Fran was not going to re-sign him. and when hasn't it been about the money? Every one of us would take as much money as we could. One injury ends your career.

Exactly. These guys have a few years to accumulate a lifetime's earnings, of course they are going to follow the biggest paycheck.