Who thinks the Bills will trade up?

I know it isn't beneficial to a team that is trying to rebuild and get better through the draft to trade away picks, but I think the Bills are serious about getting Watkins. No insider info, nothing like that, just a hunch. They clearly want to surround EJ with weapons and Watkins is the best prospect coming out. With recent rumblings about QB's taking a draft day slide (this could be all lies created by GM's targeting said players) that means a lot of skill players will be gone by #9. I think if they are unable to trade up, they will try and trade back stock picks and draft value i.e. OLB/DT. I think with so much depth this year, WR will take a major slide like in 2008. I remember pundits talking about Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, DeSean Jackson, and Limas Sweed all going in the first that year. Not one WR was taken in the first round, they all slid to the 2nd round with Donnie Avery going first at #33 and I see that happening again this year, so Buffalo will be able to draft a playmaker in that round without sacrificing value if they lose out on Watkins. Again, all speculation but I think/hope they will be aggressive in getting the best playmaker (prospect; everyone has the potential to be a bust) in the draft.

As always...GO BILLS!

p.s. REEEEBBBBBBEEEELLLLSSSS!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not be completely against trading up, but it isn't high on my list.

While I understand your point about WRs, I think the reason none went in round 1 that year is because the real NFL scouts didn't like them as much as the "draft experts". The players you listed, other than Desean Jackson, have not played to the "hype" level pre-draft. Avery has been good, not great, and Thomas, Kelly and Sweed never panned out at all. Interestingly, Thomas, Kelly and Sweed were all bg "open when they are not" WRs.

It's an interesting thought...

Another though I had yesterday was...Let's say the Bills grab Evans at #9...Then for some crazy reason the Draft gets into the 20's and Ebron is still around...Would the Bills be wise to give up their #1 in 2015 to get Evans AND Ebron in this Draft? Can you imagine? B-)

I wouldn't be against trading up from #41 depending on who was left on the board in that 20-24 region. I would be against trading up from #9. There will still be a top 5 talent available if QB is picked 2+ times in the top 8.

Edited by JM57

Another though I had yesterday was...Let's say the Bills grab Evans at #9...Then for some crazy reason the Draft gets into the 20's and Ebron is still around...Would the Bills be wise to give up their #1 in 2015 to get Evans AND Ebron in this Draft? Can you imagine? B-)

That'd be pretty f---ing baller. The odds that one of those guys could have a very good rookie season are decent.

If the Bills were to move up, it would be to get Khalil Mack! There are a plethora of WR/TE that the Bills could get in later rounds that could help offense. There's only two DOMINANT defenders that can impact games being Clowney and Mack. I wouldn't sleep Dee Ford either.

I know it isn't beneficial to a team that is trying to rebuild and get better through the draft to trade away picks, but I think the Bills are serious about getting Watkins. No insider info, nothing like that, just a hunch. They clearly want to surround EJ with weapons and Watkins is the best prospect coming out. With recent rumblings about QB's taking a draft day slide (this could be all lies created by GM's targeting said players) that means a lot of skill players will be gone by #9. I think if they are unable to trade up, they will try and trade back stock picks and draft value i.e. OLB/DT. I think with so much depth this year, WR will take a major slide like in 2008. I remember pundits talking about Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, DeSean Jackson, and Limas Sweed all going in the first that year. Not one WR was taken in the first round, they all slid to the 2nd round with Donnie Avery going first at #33 and I see that happening again this year, so Buffalo will be able to draft a playmaker in that round without sacrificing value if they lose out on Watkins. Again, all speculation but I think/hope they will be aggressive in getting the best playmaker (prospect; everyone has the potential to be a bust) in the draft.

As always...GO BILLS!

p.s. REEEEBBBBBBEEEELLLLSSSS!

I could see it for Watkins. A lot will be determined by free agency. If they do something like RT Collins, LG Schwartz, LB Brinkley (as examples) their biggest need would be WR. I could see their 1st and 2nd to move up. There seem to always be teams looking to trade back but not up. I could see St. Louis going down to 6 and then down again to 9. I could even see Atlanta going back a few spots if they don't get Clowney. I am not sure that the Bills have the ammo to go too much higher and I am not sure Watkins will be there at 6.

I can't see them giving up their 1st in '15 with the uncertainty at QB. They will find out this year if EJ can be the guy and if not I think we will be talking QB a year from now.

I think it would be unwise to trade up from the 9 spot. The Bills need all their draft picks, if they can get more picks, great.

The Bills are not one player away from the Super Bowl, or the playoffs for that matter.

I could see it for Watkins. A lot will be determined by free agency. If they do something like RT Collins, LG Schwartz, LB Brinkley (as examples) their biggest need would be WR. I could see their 1st and 2nd to move up. There seem to always be teams looking to trade back but not up. I could see St. Louis going down to 6 and then down again to 9. I could even see Atlanta going back a few spots if they don't get Clowney. I am not sure that the Bills have the ammo to go too much higher and I am not sure Watkins will be there at 6.

I can't see them giving up their 1st in '15 with the uncertainty at QB. They will find out this year if EJ can be the guy and if not I think we will be talking QB a year from now.

That's probably true. Wonder if this year's second and third plus next year's second would get that deal done. Guess it would really depend on how far Ebron fell (if he did). I'd say if Ebron fell to 25-30 you almost have to make that move. The need for an impact player at that position is so great, and it's been great for years here.

That's probably true. Wonder if this year's second and third plus next year's second would get that deal done. Guess it would really depend on how far Ebron fell (if he did). I'd say if Ebron fell to 25-30 you almost have to make that move. The need for an impact player at that position is so great, and it's been great for years here.

I would certainly be making phone calls, no doubt, but I wouldn't dump my 1st in '15.

I was thinking of keeping the #9 pick and then pay St Louis a ransome to get their #13 pick overall. With those 2 picks I'd like to see Buffalo draft OT Taylor Lewan and WR Mike Evans. This of course would be solely based on the Bills acquiring OL Geoff Schwartz in free agency.

This draft is too deep. I don’t see them trading up. Besides who would they need to trade up with? The Rams very well could take Watkins for themselves. Lord knows they could use him. If ever there was draft to stay put and pick, it’s this one. I think the Bills will come down to Evans, Ebron, Lewan/Matthews and my wild card: Justin Gilbert.

Edited by purple haze

Do whatever you have to do to ensure that an elite/big/playmaking WR AND TE come into Buffalo on draft day 2014...

Mike Evans or Kelvin Benjamin...and...Eric Ebron or Austin Seferian-Jenkins. (I don't care what else happens, as long as this does.)

However, do NOT trade your 2016 1st round pick...that should be saved for the Jameis Winston sweepstakes. :flirt:

Edited by Bob Malooga

Part of the reason that I am not opposed to trading up is because everyone wants to trade down. It may be good value to move up as opposed to past years. For example I do not think that it is impossible that someone would take 9 & 41 for a top 5 pick regardless of what the draft value chart says. I used St. Louis as an example. They could do that and get Evans and Lewan and have 2 more picks in the 2nd (Kyle Van Noy & Bradley Robey for example). What kind of draft would that be?

They ought to trade SJ and a high draft pick this year and next year for a top echelon veteran receiver. That's the biggest step to upgrade this team. Though many other upgrades are needed; most notably LB and LG.

They ought to trade SJ and a high draft pick this year and next year for a top echelon veteran receiver. That's the biggest step to upgrade this team. Though many other upgrades are needed; most notably LB and LG.

Whaley: "Hey, SJ looked pretty broken down this year and dude is kind of a headache, and not even really cheap, but do you want him, plus picks, for your top echelon veteran receiver?"

Rival GM: *dial tone*