Who thinks the Bills will trade up?

Whaley: "Hey, SJ looked pretty broken down this year and dude is kind of a headache, and not even really cheap, but do you want him, plus picks, for your top echelon veteran receiver?"

Rival GM: *dial tone*

Sounds about right... :thumbsup:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it isn't beneficial to a team that is trying to rebuild and get better through the draft to trade away picks, but I think the Bills are serious about getting Watkins. No insider info, nothing like that, just a hunch. They clearly want to surround EJ with weapons and Watkins is the best prospect coming out. With recent rumblings about QB's taking a draft day slide (this could be all lies created by GM's targeting said players) that means a lot of skill players will be gone by #9. I think if they are unable to trade up, they will try and trade back stock picks and draft value i.e. OLB/DT. I think with so much depth this year, WR will take a major slide like in 2008. I remember pundits talking about Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, DeSean Jackson, and Limas Sweed all going in the first that year. Not one WR was taken in the first round, they all slid to the 2nd round with Donnie Avery going first at #33 and I see that happening again this year, so Buffalo will be able to draft a playmaker in that round without sacrificing value if they lose out on Watkins. Again, all speculation but I think/hope they will be aggressive in getting the best playmaker (prospect; everyone has the potential to be a bust) in the draft.

As always...GO BILLS!

p.s. REEEEBBBBBBEEEELLLLSSSS!

Correct me if I'm wrong here...but the Bills could have drafted Tavon Austin at #9 last year and instead they chose to trade back for a QB. Austin graded by the NFL with a 91.4 grade, and while only 5'8''175 slot receiver he had elite speed at 4.34-40. The Bills purposely chose to go a different route last draft when they had the opportunity to draft a #1 elite WR.

Also, Watkins ran a 4.43 caught almost 60% of his passes from screen plays. Now, mind you that circumstances are certainly different this year. But from everything I've read that Whaley says about the type of players he is looking for, the bigger the better. If anything the Bills might just trade back this year and still draft Mike Evans 6'5'' 231 ran a 4.53 or even trade back further and then draft Kelvin Benjamin who is also 6'5'' 235 ran a 4.61

http://www.nfl.com/d...=2539336 Tavon Austin

http://www.nfl.com/d...kins?id=2543457 Sammy Watkins

Watkins grades at a mere 7.0 which is still a pro bowl type player rated as a top ten. Austin with a rating of 91.4 is rated as a once in a lifetime player.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Correct me if I'm wrong here...but the Bills could have drafted Tavon Austin at #9 last year and instead they chose to trade back for a QB. Austin graded by the NFL with a 91.4 grade, and while only 5'8''175 slot receiver he had elite speed at 4.34-40. The Bills purposely chose to go a different route last draft when they had the opportunity to draft a #1 elite WR.

Also, Watkins ran a 4.43 caught almost 60% of his passes from screen plays. Now, mind you that circumstances are certainly different this year. But from everything I've read that Whaley says about the type of players he is looking for, the bigger the better. If anything the Bills might just trade back this year and still draft Mike Evans 6'5'' 231 ran a 4.53 or even trade back further and then draft Kelvin Benjamin who is also 6'5'' 235 ran a 4.61

Watkins grades at a mere 7.0 which is still a pro bowl type player rated as a top ten. Austin with a rating of 91.4 is rated as a once in a lifetime player.

Austin was viewed as an electric playmaker with the ball in his hands, similar to a Harvin or Spiller. A guy whose touches you monitor but that you think can hit some home runs. Watkins is most often compared to AJ Green and Julio Jones. He is a much more complete WR. He is tough, high points well and is the "best hands catcher" that Mayock has ever graded. Austin is a gadget guy that will make some big plays. Watkins is very complete and will be a #1 for a long time. He is the safest WR since Green and Julio.

Evans is a big body with worlds of natural ability. He is high risk high reward. Watkins is low risk high reward which is why he will be a top 5 pick.

If they think Watkins is a top three-level pick, then you absolutely trade up if the opportunity presents itself. The Bills are lacking when it comes to elite players on offense. Whether their evaluation is right or not is a different issue, but you want an organization to move based upon the courage of their convictions. From what I understand, just about every team regards him as a genuinely great prospect.

Edited by dave mcbride

I know it isn't beneficial to a team that is trying to rebuild and get better through the draft to trade away picks, but I think the Bills are serious about getting Watkins. No insider info, nothing like that, just a hunch. They clearly want to surround EJ with weapons and Watkins is the best prospect coming out. With recent rumblings about QB's taking a draft day slide (this could be all lies created by GM's targeting said players) that means a lot of skill players will be gone by #9. I think if they are unable to trade up, they will try and trade back stock picks and draft value i.e. OLB/DT. I think with so much depth this year, WR will take a major slide like in 2008. I remember pundits talking about Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, DeSean Jackson, and Limas Sweed all going in the first that year. Not one WR was taken in the first round, they all slid to the 2nd round with Donnie Avery going first at #33 and I see that happening again this year, so Buffalo will be able to draft a playmaker in that round without sacrificing value if they lose out on Watkins. Again, all speculation but I think/hope they will be aggressive in getting the best playmaker (prospect; everyone has the potential to be a bust) in the draft.

As always...GO BILLS!

p.s. REEEEBBBBBBEEEELLLLSSSS!

unless we trade up for a QB we should trade back.

Austin was viewed as an electric playmaker with the ball in his hands, similar to a Harvin or Spiller. A guy whose touches you monitor but that you think can hit some home runs. Watkins is most often compared to AJ Green and Julio Jones. He is a much more complete WR. He is tough, high points well and is the "best hands catcher" that Mayock has ever graded. Austin is a gadget guy that will make some big plays. Watkins is very complete and will be a #1 for a long time. He is the safest WR since Green and Julio.

Evans is a big body with worlds of natural ability. He is high risk high reward. Watkins is low risk high reward which is why he will be a top 5 pick.

OK Kirby, I went to the NFL site and read what Mayock said about him ...NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock said Clemson star Sammy Watkins is one of the best wide receivers he has seen on tape in the past decade.

If he really is that good why the disparity in grades between the two with the better player getting the worse grade? 7.0 vs 9.1? check the links in my first post. I've seen grades from other sites that compared Austin to a Percy Harvin type. Watkins with a drug arrest, and a down year with many nagging injuries, thus missed games in 2012. He is also being compared to a Percy Harvin type. From what I'm reading Watkins lacks the elite size that helped Julio Jones 6'3 220 & AJ Green 6'4'' 207

I dunno, my take from what Whaley is saying is he will go for the taller of the WR's in this years class. That is, "IF" they even go WR, as I'm hearing they are fine with SJ, Woods, Goodwin, and Graham. Plus they have a total of 9 WR's on the current roster. Barden Ramses 6'6'' 224-Marcus Easley 6'2'' 216- Kevin Elliot 6'3'' 205- Brandon Kaufman 6'5'' 215-Cordell Roberson 6'4'' 205

To the OP, I highly doubt they will trade up. If anything I think they will trade back unless Mack, Watkins, Robinson, Matthews, Clowney are there. I just don't see them going for a WR (Evans) or a TE ( Ebron) as they signed Moeaki, unless they let Chandler walk. Even then they could draft a TE in the second and still get a decent player.

If anything I think they trade down and try to get extra picks in 2nd or 3rd round.

But if Watkins is there it would be hard to pass up.

The way the FA visits are rumored to be going so far, looks like the pick will either be OT, WR, or TE (although TE would be a trade down scenario to get more picks. Ebron isn't worth #9)

Those "grades" are.not from NFL team scouts, they are from some non-NFL "scouting service". While Austin certainly appears to be a great talent, I think that there is legitimate concern that he will ever be a "#1elite WR" due to his lack of size. I would be surprised if many NFL teams (given the choice between them coming out of college) wouldn't have taken Watkins over Austin.

Again, not meant to demean Austin in any way - he finished last season strong and is very exciting. Yet, many here would be labeling him a bust had the Bills selected him - heck he only had 9 more catches last year than TJ Graham had as a rookie. To be clear, I am not saying that Austin looks like a bust - here, I am harping on a pet-peeve that some here think that if a rookie struggles, then is is instantly and forever a bust.

Whaley: "Hey, SJ looked pretty broken down this year and dude is kind of a headache, and not even really cheap, but do you want him, plus picks, for your top echelon veteran receiver?"

Rival GM: *dial tone*

Whaley would pervey more of an "exceptional athlete" pitch. Half the teams would stay on the line.

Height without athleticism at WR means nothing. Yes Calvin Johnson is a beast but he truly is a once in a decade player. De shaun Jackson was one of the smallest WR's drafted his year. All the big WR'S were busts.

I think it is quite fair and wise to look at how a WR was used. Woods played in a pro style offense. Many play in a spread offense and half their catches are behind the LOS.

Those "grades" are.not from NFL team scouts, they are from some non-NFL "scouting service". While Austin certainly appears to be a great talent, I think that there is legitimate concern that he will ever be a "#1elite WR" due to his lack of size. I would be surprised if many NFL teams (given the choice between them coming out of college) wouldn't have taken Watkins over Austin.

Again, not meant to demean Austin in any way - he finished last season strong and is very exciting. Yet, many here would be labeling him a bust had the Bills selected him - heck he only had 9 more catches last year than TJ Graham had as a rookie. To be clear, I am not saying that Austin looks like a bust - here, I am harping on a pet-peeve that some here think that if a rookie struggles, then is is instantly and forever a bust.

To add to that Watkins plays much bigger than his size because of his physicality and ability to catch the ball away from his body. He is 6'1 which is not small (Austin 5'8) but plays closer to 6'3 or 6'4. Watkins grades out with Green and Julio as an overall prospect coming out. Supposedly the Bills LOVE him which is why we are even having this conversation. There was hope a few weeks back that he could potentially be on the board but that looks virtually impossible now. IMO trading up will depend on what happens in FA. The Bills are not going to trade up if they still have as many holes as they do now. If they fill 2-3 in FA (LB, RT, LG) than it is certainly possible.