Draft Game

The rules are simple:

Utilizing the CBS Sports draft prospect rankings put together the best draft you can for the Bills. Assume that the players come off the board exactly per the rankings. Trades must be per the standard draft value chart. If future year draft picks are traded be reasonable. You can specify some reasonable free agency moves as well if you'd like.

CBS Sports Prospect Ranking

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/all

Drafttek Trade Value Chart

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=Buf

Pick 9:

Pick 41:

Pick 73:

Pick 105:

Pick 137:

Pick 169:

Pick 201:

Pick 9: Eric Ebron, TE North Carolina

Pick 41: Morgan Moses, OT Virginia

Pick 73: Dakota Dozier, OG Furman

(Trade 105 and 201 for Pick 103)

Pick 103: Ed Reynolds, FS Stanford

Pick 105: Traded

Pick 137: Antone Exum, DB Virginia Tech

Pick 169: Tom Savage, QB Pittsburgh

Pick 201: Traded

I was tempted to go with Barr at 9 since he was available. Certainly not a need pick, but due to his ability and position (OLB) I think he'd be a great pick if available.

Edited by BarleyNY

Fun game! I'm totally cheating, because since players are coming off the board exactly per the rankings, I know if I can safely trade down or wait a full round. Still trying to keep it at least fairly realistic. See below for boring explanation of each pick.

Pick 9: TRADED to NY Giants, who select Taylor Lewan, OT Michigan

Pick 12: Mike Evans, WR Texas A&M

Pick 41: Troy Niklas, TE Notre Dame

Pick 73: Billy Turner, OT/G North Dakota State

Pick 74: Pierre Desir, CB Lindenwood

Pick 137: Aaron Murray, QB Georgia

Pick 169: Storm Johnson, RB UCF

Pick 201: Russell Bodine, OG UNC

9/12: Bills trade picks 9 (1,350 pts) and 105 (84 pts) for picks 12 (1,200 pts) and 74 (220 pts). If the Giants had a 7th-rounder, I'd try to get them to throw it in. As it is, I'll ask for a future 6th or 7th, and probably get rejected on both counts. Neither is a dealbreaker, as I'm still getting my guy and vastly upgrading my 4th-round pick. The flaw in this plan is that the Giants almost never trade up, but they had huge problems protecting Eli last year, and maybe they see a huge dropoff between Lewan and the 2nd-tier OTs?

41: Tempting to trade down again, but #41 in the rankings is Tre Mason, and who's trading up for a 5'8" running back? Also very tempting to go with ASJ or Gabe Jackson here, particularly Jackson. I guess I'm just hoping that we've already signed a competent LG starter and will be drafting more for depth. Plus, I think Niklas would help the run game right away, and (eventually) upgrade the passing game by stepping in for Chandler.

73: Best OL on the board. Dakota Dozier was also in the mix here -- both played OT in college but might project to OG in the NFL -- but I decided to just go chalk. I'm well past the point of knowing anything about the guys left on the board. The hope here would be that Turner can make it at OT and compete for the starting RT job. If not, then maybe he gets moved inside to G, or maybe serves as a versatile backup who's not great at anything, but won't kill you at any of the 4 G/T spots.

74: 6'1", 200 lb. cornerback with good athleticism, apparently needs work on his technique. Luckily, we already have starters at both outside CBs and Nickell CB, so we can teach him technique while he plays special teams.

137: Why not? I liked him a lot in his junior year, and this late in the draft, he wouldn't be seen as a threat to EJ.

169: His name is Storm Johnson.

201: No one's still reading, right?

bear with me here...

Trades:

9 & 169 to STL for 13 & 75

73 & 75 to PIT for 46

137 & 201 to CAR for 124

Pick 13: Mike Evans (WR)

Pick 41: Austin Seferian-Jenkins (TE)

Pick 46: Morgan Moses (OT)

Pick 105: Shayne Skov (LB)

Pick 124: Tyler Gaffney (RB)

[After signing an above-average guard in free agency for ~$4 million / year.]

Pick 9: BPA or trade down as this draft covers our LG situation, WLB, an heir apparent for Byrd, a redzone threat, depth on the interior of the line and a #3 QB.

Pick 41: Gabe Jackson (#3 Guard overall- day one starter at LG)

Pick 73: Telvin Smith WLB

Pick 105: I’ll copy BarelyNY and trade up for Ed Reynolds FS at 103

Pick 137: Brandon Coleman Big WR

Pick 169: Michael Schofield RT Michigan (Backup guard in NFL)

Pick 201: Trade

UDFA: Tajh Boyd

Pick 9: Mike Evans WR

Pick 41: Morgan Moses OT

Pick 73: Telvin Smith OLB - I like his speed and length to match up with TE's and play some weak side...

Pick 105: CJ Fiedorowicz TE

Pick 137: Phillip Gaines CB

Pick 169: Dontae Johnson DB

Pick 201: Max Bullough ILB

some nice drafts here- I like how you guys think. Here's a little something different

Pick 9: CJ Mosley LB

Pick 41: Marcus Roberson CB (Tempted to go with Tiny Richardson OT here, but his knee scares me, and Roberson too good to pass up)

Pick 73: Martavis Bryant WR

Pick 137: Aaron Murray QB

Pick 169: Michael Schofield OT

Pick 201: Avery Patterson S (Would've taken Colt Lyerla here, but already picked a TE, so I'll go with another Duck.)

Looks like they'll have to address the OL in free agency. Sign Eben Britton and Rodger Saffold. Both can play T or G and should be relatively cheap and substantial upgrades. Let them duke it out with Hairston and the FAs already signed during the year to solidify the line.

some nice drafts here- I like how you guys think. Here's a little something different

Pick 9: CJ Mosley LB

Pick 41: Marcus Roberson CB (Tempted to go with Tiny Richardson OT here, but his knee scares me, and Roberson too good to pass up)

Pick 73: Martavis Bryant WR

Pick 137: Aaron Murray QB

Pick 169: Michael Schofield OT

Pick 201: Avery Patterson S (Would've taken Colt Lyerla here, but already picked a TE, so I'll go with another Duck.)

Looks like they'll have to address the OL in free agency. Sign Eben Britton and Rodger Saffold. Both can play T or G and should be relatively cheap and substantial upgrades. Let them duke it out with Hairston and the FAs already signed during the year to solidify the line.

I agree. Seems to be a general consensus on team needs although that's not surprising .

Here is my go :

9 Trade with Browns and Receive (1350) ~ 26 (700) +35 (550) + 71(92) (1342)

26 Kelvin Benjaman WR

35 Cyrus Kouandrio OT

41 Austin Jenkins TE

73 Chris Borland LB

102 C.J. Fiedowicz TE

105 Shayne Skov ILB

137 Bryan Stork C

169 Kirby Vandercamp P

201 Russel Bodine G

I think I got us good line help and recieving with wr, 2 te and two linbackers for the Defenses, plus another chance at an upgrade at punter might have gone FS or 136