Is this how the new era under Brandon going to go?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have not had a new era in a long time. Jeff Littman and Jim Overdorf have had a lot of power since the 1980s. Recently on Sirius NFL radio Bill Polian was asked about the power struggle going on in Buffalo. While he claimed that he knew nothing about it, he did say Litttman has a lot of power for a long time. It almost seems like the Bills use the position of GM as a scapegoat. You fire the GM to keep the fans happy but keep the real leadership in place.

Yeah , I thought Overdorf did contracts. He better learn to extend or trade good players with 1 year to go on a regular contract. I would want to keep players who want to be here ,not bribe them.

Don't mean to ninja you on this...We talked a little bit about it in the Byrd thread...But anyway... Marrone has already been pretty clear that Searcy will remain in his role as the 3rd Safety...He pretty much confirmed they would not look towards Searcy to fill the hole if Byrd departs. When asked he said he was really excited about Duke Williams and Meeks...I'm also guessing the Bills will see if they can land a mid level UFA FS, or possibly Draft a FS in the middle rounds... B-)

I agree with you .

I expect leonhard is gone . .

The bolded bit would be the best move to support the secondary i think.

I consider that a feasible , and reasonable PLAN .

The Bills have not had a new era in a long time. Jeff Littman and Jim Overdorf have had a lot of power since the 1980s. Recently on Sirius NFL radio Bill Polian was asked about the power struggle going on in Buffalo. While he claimed that he knew nothing about it, he did say Litttman has a lot of power for a long time. It almost seems like the Bills use the position of GM as a scapegoat. You fire the GM to keep the fans happy but keep the real leadership in place.

I can guess the new staff are trying to break the chain from within. Should be an interesting struggle if Brandon signs on to Whaley and Marrone's perceptions of a winning culture.

Even I could tell Doug and Doug are not going to sit idly by.

They want to succeed ( win ).

Thats were the battle will be won or lost. Not trying to get Byrd to stay with more gauranteed money or secured contract . Thats a skirmish that was lost along time ago

Edited by 3rdand12

Russ Brandon is an individual who is a salesmen and a good one at that. He has sold Ralph Wilson Jr. on 3 promotions over the last 15 years. The same 15 years in which the Bills have failed to make the playoffs once. He is now head dog for the Bills, and I'm still trying to figure out what he's accomplished to warrant the title he holds. It's garbage in, garbage out over at One Bills Drive. It's embarrassing and inexcusable to go a decade and a half and not qualify for post season play once. Deciding against the franchise tag today was amateur hour. If you value the guy at $10 mill a year for 3 years then why don't you value him at $8 mill for 1 year. And please don't tell me theres to many moving parts to pull together a trade. We could've snatched a 3rd rounder at an absolute minimum in this years draft by trading him to a team that covets safety help. Instead the Bills have just let a guaranteed 3rd round draft pick walk out the door today. The Bills let a 3rd rounder out the door because they feared having to pay $8.5 million to a player if no trade market developed. Instead of taking that gamble, they worried about the money side of it and folded like a cheap chair. I like the possibility of a trade or even Byrd playing 1 last season with the Bills over no draft picks and no Byrd at all. Today was no different then selling 1 of our home games to Toronto. It's a money first operation at one Bills Drive. Money first, winning second. It's why winning has been secondary the last 15 years.

Would you disagree that the Bills' business success is a precondition to their success on the field? If not, then why vilify the man who has greatly improved the Bills' business performance?

If you choose to not believe Whaley when he said they made a substantial offer, then your mind is simply not open to anything contrary to your entrenched opinion.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Your point apparently is you aren't willing to answer the question ;) , but, no matter. I know with 100% certainty that letting Byrd walk was the wrong decision. I'll bow out of the conversation because we aren't going to change minds here and it futile on both sides to continue to hash and rehash.

You may BELIEVE with 100% certainty that the Bills decision was wrong; however, to say you KNOW with 100% certainty that it was wrong is patently ridiculous. I'm pretty sure none of us are omniscient. One could envision scenarios where it turned out to be the right decision and vice versa.

Edited by billsfan1959

The Bills are running a minor league team in terms of the on-field product. They're basically operating as a farm system for the 31 other franchises. Meanwhile, they come up with new lies each offseason to excite their fans and convince them to part with their hard-earned dollars. Why do you think a P.R. expert is running the franchise? Stop falling for these hucksters, and maybe they'll go away.

As to Kirby's point: yes it's a deep draft. So what? That means that it's just as deep a draft for the rest of the league, too. The Bills not only have holes to fill, they have ground to catch up to actually be better than the other teams. We don't want them to be mediocre (although it would certainly be an upgrade) - some of us want them to actually gear up to make the playoffs and, oh gosh, compete for a title? But you know what? OBD is not going to make that commitment. They're running a used car franchise over there. The business model was perfected in Detroit.

Mario was signed strictly to sell more season tickets...

Just like T.O. a few years back!

Its the need to generate interest to make money, that it!

Brilliant! You figured it out! According to your logic the Mario deal would have to trigger 10,000 new season ticket holders to keep seats for 10 years just to break even. You so smart! Edited by BillnutinHouston

In response to the OP's statement of letting players go instead of tagging them under this "new era," let me just say this: I'm pretty sure that Byrd was tagged last year under the "new era." So, they obviously have shown the willingness to do so. I am a big proponent of keeping our best players and making every "reasonable" attempt to do so. However, there isn't anyone, other than the people involved, that know what took place during the negotiations with Byrd's agent, or what the Bills plans for the team are this year. What we do know is that the same organization that was willing to use the franchise tag last year, decided it was not in the team's best interest to do so this year. The people involved haven't changed, the dynamics have.

I like what they did in the draft last year and, in spite of their record, I liked the direction the team was heading. I am willing to wait and see what they do during free agency and the draft, and how they deal with key players who will be free agents next year before I make my judgment on what the "new era" will be...

Edited by billsfan1959

Which is another reason this team is a joke. They will not draft a QB this year because they've sold themselves into the belief that EJ Manuel needs to be the sole QB on the roster with potential. In 1 season he's shown no ability to stay healthy, no ability to consistently throw the ball accurately, and no pocket presence, yet the Bills will stand pat at the position. And it's why we will endure another 6-7 win season.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

In response to the OP's statement of letting players go instead of tagging them under this "new era," let me just say this: I'm pretty sure that Byrd was tagged last year under the "new era." So, they obviously have shown the willingness to do so. I am a big proponent of keeping our best players and making every "reasonable" attempt to do so. However, there isn't anyone, other than the people involved, that know what took place during the negotiations with Byrd's agent, or what the Bills plans for the team are this year. What we do know is that the same organization that was willing to use the franchise tag last year, decided it was not in the team's best interest to do so this year. The people involved haven't changed, the dynamics have.

I am willing to wait and see what they do during free agency and the draft, and how they deal with key players who will be free agents next year before I make my judgment on what the "new era" will be...

+1

and I'll add I'm willing to wait and see how the 2014 seasons plays out without Byrd.

Ha ha, well played Big Cat. It's amazing to me the assumptions that people treat as facts. We are privied to a very limited amount of information in terms of the negotiation. Everyone is entitled to formulate their own opinion but some of these assumptions are ridiculous. The best offer that they got for Byrd last year was a 4th. They gauged the market again this year and decided that between the cap dollar savings and potential comp pick they were better off. Let's all take a deep breath and see how the offseason unfolds.

This....

The Bills put a substantial offer on the table. Last Year Byrd held out and then had a questionable injury situation. No need for that drama again and besides it was likely that either Byrd or Williams would be gone. No team is going to pay two safeties elite money.

Time to move on.

You may BELIEVE with 100% certainty that the Bills decision was wrong; however, to say you KNOW with 100% certainty that it was wrong is patently ridiculous. I'm pretty sure none of us are omniscient. One could envision scenarios where it turned out to be the right decision and vice versa.

I know that you are wrong.

Losing seasons, Letting top talent go instead of tagging them to get picks to assist the team? So far it looks like the same **** Ralph Wilson has done for Decades. This team is not making progress regardless of the wishing and koolaid Drinking many fans do.

He would have been the highest paid safety in the league. they offered him more than what he is worth and he said no. when are you "fans" going to realize, Byrd don't want to be in Buffalo no mo! what are you going to get for him after you tag him? a team would have to pay nearly $15 mil for one year guranteed and take a big cap hit, we'd be lucky to get anything for him at all! get a clue

If so, my apologies

:thumbsup:

should have included one of these ;) in my response.

To be clear though...I KNOW in my mind...in other words, I believe 100% that letting Byrd walk was the wrong decision for this team today and unfortunately well into the future.

:thumbsup:

should have included one of these ;) in my response.

To be clear though...I KNOW in my mind...in other words, I believe 100% that letting Byrd walk was the wrong decision for this team today and unfortunately well into the future.

Well, truthfully, I should have known better :thumbsup: . As far as Byrd, trust me, I am very disappointed and my first reaction was "wtf? You have got to be kidding me." I still would rather have him on my team or have gotten something for him. However, after reflection, they used the franchise tag on him last year in spite of all the negative things that were swirling around the negotiations. The fact that they believe it is not in the best interests of the team to do so this year makes me wonder what the issues are that we are not privy to. You may very well be right that it turns out to be the wrong decision. But, it may also turn out to be fine - and it also may be an instance of the organization having no better option than to do what they did.