Am I the only one that thinks Aaron Williams could fill the void left

D521646

With the Bills pass rush, we don' t need a superman free safety as much as the Jaron "bend but don't break" cerebral defensive back based defense. With the two Williams and Hughes lowering the boom quick, the QB is in more of a chuck-en-duck mode than playing a chess game with the Jaroun clone. With Byrd gone, are we gonna miss going to the super bowl again? I guess not. Might we be better if we pay another free safety $5M and add $5M to the pot to bring in Streif (sp) from New Orleans to play ROT and then go get a stud WR in the first (or second) round of the next draft? Which way would be Bills be a better team. I say, not with Rolls Royce Byrd playing cameo appearances in Orchard Park!

Will we get a compensatory pick ? If so, in which draft - 2014 or 2015 ?

2015 after all the FA moves for 2014 are over.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the !@#$ is the point if they won't resign Williams either!

And there is no NFL quality SS on this team. I will admit I do not know how Scwartz uses his safeties but there is no second safety on this team that is of any value.

Totally !@#$ed at this point... I mean safeties aren't important in stopping HOF QB's.

Perhaps there is a plan to address in FA.

I'm not going to read 76 pages of the "Byrd Thread" to see if this has been brought up, but I want to throw this one out there.

People are up in arms over the fact the the Bills did not tag Byrd, which I find amusing... if you had Whaley in front of you, and you were to say to him "Hey man, why not franchise Byrd and at least get something of value in return?" there are Bills fans with enough hubris to honestly think his response would be something along the lines of

"... :worthy: that's brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? Get Parker on the phone, it's time to tag this man!"

So if we can accept the very elementary notion that the Buffalo Bills explored the possibility of using the franchise tag on Byrd, but elected not to do so, then we must ask ourselves: why not?

And it is in that "why not" that I think the most interesting scenarios exist--and they are scenarios that won't be resolved until the start of free agency--which is not until next week.

As I see it, there are 2 scenarios:

A) Byrd was not/is not/never was going to resign with the Buffalo Bills, so no matter how much money we offered him, he was leaving. Why is this scenario unlikely? Because of the report that came out this weekend saying talks were going well between the sides... hell... because of the fact that the two sides even sat down to talk. AHHH, but if they sat down to talk, and Byrd didn't resign, and the Bills didn't tag him, that leaves only scenario

B) Byrd was always going to/was never not going to/always planned on--gauging his true worth on the free agent market. Byrd wants to see how much he can make, in the prime of his career, for one monster, guaranteed, front loaded, big-boy pay day.

Now, if we accept scenario B as the truth, that leaves some pieces that need to be filled in...

I would suggest that Parker and Byrd told the Bills--if you tag us, this will be our last year in Buffalo, and we will hold out until the last possible day before we report to camp.

If you do not tag us, we will give you a chance to match whatever offer we receive.

So--I don't know if anyone has made this prediction yet, but allow me--next Wednesday, March 12, Byrd will resign with the Buffalo Bills, and will be the highest paid safety in the game.

So--I don't know if anyone has made this prediction yet, but allow me--next Wednesday, March 12, Byrd will resign with the Buffalo Bills, and will be the highest paid safety in the game.

As much as I wish it were true, that simply isn't going to happen. I know it's easy to just be a nay-sayer and claim that won't happen, but I really don't see anything that would indicate that this is anything other than wishful thinking. If it does happen I'll be the first to apologize to you.

I'm not going to read 76 pages of the "Byrd Thread" to see if this has been brought up, but I want to throw this one out there.

People are up in arms over the fact the the Bills did not tag Byrd, which I find amusing... if you had Whaley in front of you, and you were to say to him "Hey man, why not franchise Byrd and at least get something of value in return?" there are Bills fans with enough hubris to honestly think his response would be something along the lines of

"... :worthy: that's brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? Get Parker on the phone, it's time to tag this man!"

So if we can accept the very elementary notion that the Buffalo Bills explored the possibility of using the franchise tag on Byrd, but elected not to do so, then we must ask ourselves: why not?

And it is in that "why not" that I think the most interesting scenarios exist--and they are scenarios that won't be resolved until the start of free agency--which is not until next week.

A) Byrd was not/is not/never was going to resign with the Buffalo Bills, so no matter how much money we offered him, he was leaving. Why is this scenario unlikely? Because of the report that came out this weekend saying talks were going well between the sides... hell... because of the fact that the two sides even sat down to talk. AHHH, but if they sat down to talk, and Byrd didn't resign, and the Bills didn't tag him, that leaves only scenario

B) Byrd was always going to/was never not going to/always planned on--gauging his true worth on the free agent market. Byrd wants to see how much he can make, in the prime of his career, for one monster, guaranteed, front loaded, big-boy pay day.

Now, if we accept scenario B as the truth, that leaves some pieces that need to be filled in...

I would suggest that Parker and Byrd told the Bills--if you tag us, this will be our last year in Buffalo, and we will hold out until the last possible day before we report to camp.

If you do not tag us, we will give you a chance to match whatever offer we receive.

very interesting BUT you forgot about the other 72 pages of the Byrd thread where It is declared (as a matter of law) that Byrd will not re-sign with the Bills because he wants to win a "Champeeonship".

Well, the bad news is were spending a draft pick on S no matter what now. If were going to, It would be in our best interest to trade down. OL, LB, WR and now S. And we need starters at each. This free agency period will be crucial. Were going to need another Lawson type player at one of the mentioned positions.

To me he showed enough last year that given the reins I think he could shine. We can use Searcy in the SS role.

Did miss something about AW play last year?

Tim-

Every time the Bills lose a player this post is guaranteed (simply change the names).

Just crossed my mind. When Aaron Williams leaves are we going to make the excuse that he was not that good and no where near elite because he was never good enough to just be a safety? He is only a safety because he sucked at CB?

Dumb:

A) Byrd was not/is not/never was going to resign with the Buffalo Bills . . .

And Dumber:

B) Byrd was always going to/was never not going to/always planned on . . .

I'm not convinced Byrd is gone, if he leaves, that's fine, nobody pays that kind of money for a FS...if he signs, great, he's a potential HOF player. But 10 million could be spent on other needs...and get a good SS.

Unfortunately you're not the only one who likely believes this and it is not to insult you but you don't understand or appreciate the differences in defensige schemes and FS&SS

In Pettines D it is easy to miss how Byrd and AWilliams differed but watch some tapes again and you'll see how muchbetter pass coverage was with Byrd. Not to take away from AWilliams but he doesn't have the instinct nor ball skills of Byrd.

To put AWilliams @ FS creates a larger hole at SS, a position many regard as more important, anyway.

I disagree to some extent. Go back and look at who was starting at CB when Byrd was sitting on the bench nursing his sore feet. McKelvin and Gilmore coming back had far more to do with the performance of the secondary. The Bills had for play A Williams at corner because there was basically no one left on the roster. A maple tree would have been an improvement over Leonard.

I'm not saying Byrd isn't a great safety but he's not worth $10M per year.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

Unfortunately you're not the only one who likely believes this and it is not to insult you but you don't understand or appreciate the differences in defensige schemes and FS&SS

In Pettines D it is easy to miss how Byrd and AWilliams differed but watch some tapes again and you'll see how muchbetter pass coverage was with Byrd. Not to take away from AWilliams but he doesn't have the instinct nor ball skills of Byrd.

To put AWilliams @ FS creates a larger hole at SS, a position many regard as more important, anyway.

I hope you're not insulting my intelligence here. I respect the fact that you like to post epic X & O explanations on the finer points of D play and I appreciate reading them.

But when it comes to Pettine's "scheme" or anyone else's for that matter, I assure you I can analyze them in my sleep.

Aaron Williams played Byrd's position admirably last season. Held the fort just fine until he was forced to go back to CB. The problem will be upgrading SS more than AW filling Byrd's role.

GO BILLS!!!

Just crossed my mind. When Aaron Williams leaves are we going to make the excuse that he was not that good and no where near elite because he was never good enough to just be a safety? He is only a safety because he sucked at CB?

Jesus H Phucking Christ! Aaron Williams was projected as a better safety coming out of college. He's blessed to have the superior athleticism to play CB in a pinch. Athleticism that Byrd lacks.

GO BILLS!!!

I think you're on to something here, and if it weren't for Revis making so much damn money he might wind up being the highest paid DB in the league.

If he does not sign with the Bills, I think we'll see him signing a contract FAR higher than any of us would imagine offering him. Hell, even if he signs with the Bills it will still be far higher than most would think is reasonable.

Edited by uncle flap

To me he showed enough last year that given the reins I think he could shine. We can use Searcy in the SS role.

Did miss something about AW play last year?

Tim-

The idea role for AW is at SS. But he could move to FS and do a good job.

We shall see what the Bills do in FA.

This is a hott mess the Bills got them selfs into buy not locking up Byrd long term when he wanted to stay .

Completely disagree. Aaron Williams had some game changing plays at FS last year. Our defense didn't get any better when Mr Selfish came back from his fake injury to play out his franchise tag. In fact, we got worse against the run.

Byrd is overrated. Definitely a good player, but we won't miss a step with him gone, just like last year. Im glad he's leaving, sick of him and eugene and their ridiculous ego's.

I disagree to some extent. Go back and look at who was starting at CB when Byrd was sitting on the bench nursing his sore feet. McKelvin and Gilmore coming back had far more to do with the performance of the secondary. The Bills had for play A Williams at corner because there was basically no one left on the roster. A maple tree would have been an improvement over Leonard.

I'm not saying Byrd isn't a great safety but he's not worth $10M per year.

its just too hard for me to get over the fact that Byrd isllikely not going to suit up for the Bills again. That we created another hole and would have fielded one of the premier backfields in the NFL.

I think AW did a good job. A great job maybe even. But when realizing this I just cannot look past how it looked when things were clicking and everyone was back and where they should be - its just...it just sucks.

I hope you're not insulting my intelligence here. I respect the fact that you like to post epic X & O explanations on the finer points of D play and I appreciate reading them.

But when it comes to Pettine's "scheme" or anyone else's for that matter, I assure you I can analyze them in my sleep.

Aaron Williams played Byrd's position admirably last season. Held the fort just fine until he was forced to go back to CB. The problem will be upgrading SS more than AW filling Byrd's role.

GO BILLS!!!

Jesus H Phucking Christ! Aaron Williams was projected as a better safety coming out of college. He's blessed to have the superior athleticism to play CB in a pinch. Athleticism that Byrd lacks.

GO BILLS!!!

looking forward to whatever Schwartz comes up with I can't be so positive to think that the positions will be interchangeable. Again, like I said above it is the jaded glasses of Bills fan doom I am wearing right now.

Williams at FS is fine with me if we get a good SS to play beside him. I don't know what Duke Williams or Meeks will add but I am curious to see if they even step on the field. Otherwise Searcy at Ss and AWilliams at FS is going to be good. Or at least good enough. It won't be the duo that Byrd/AWilliams had.

And I wasn't making the statement about AWilliams being bad or how he was originally a CB. I was just mocking what is likely going to be said when he leaves. I supported and wanted to see him moved to SS