Draft Strategy for 2014

DC Grid

Not a fan of the top two picks . . . I think Moses is not that high . . . any guy from ND is slower and less athletic than you think he should be . . . and concerning Moses, would love him, but some draft people have him going in the late first round, hard to believe he'll be around in the fourth. I'd be happy if the Bills drafted him in the second.

I am wrong, you are right...just looked in my email inbox and it was from OL Analyst:

"Morgan Moses moves up from 92 to 31"

Good Call. He's saying Moses is the 2-3rd best run blocker in the draft (Robinson, maybe Yankey).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mosley. I don't think Watkins is there any more. He'll go at #2, #5, or #7.

Still not bad RD1-4:

1 9 Buffalo C.J. Mosley ILB Alabama

2 41 Buffalo Troy Niklas TE Notre Dame

3 73 Buffalo Anthony Steen OG Alabama

4 105 Buffalo Morgan Moses RT Virginia

Let me put this another way, it is my opinion that three QBs, two OTs, and Clowney will go in the first seven. That means the other two would have to be Mack and Watkins. Hypothetically what if Watkins is there?

I worry about LBs and DL from Alabama, should I get over it?

In this case yes. Steen is a mauler and Mosley is as smart as they come --> in so far as reading a play quickly

I'm of the opinion that there are six non- QB elite's out there: Watkins Matthews, Robinson, Mack, Barr, & Clowney. Unfortunately, there aren't elite DL's and QB's to fill out the top 8 before our pick.I'm starting to think we will take C.J. Mosley or Mike Evans with this pick and I would be fine with that. I'd rather have Evans than have him slide to the Jets and have to defend him twice a year.And Mosley has very nice diagnosis skills. Just don't want us reaching

I'm using a revised Big Board for this, and it will likely change again after the next day or so with the Combine still going on, but here's my thinking here and now:

ILBhas only three difference-makers in the draft: Mack (gone), Mosley, and Skov. After that, Borland, Smallwood, Jackson etc. are a major drop-off, and I'd stick with whom we have if that happens.

IF we need a difference-making TE (Murphy says we don't), we better pull the trigger at RD1#9 or RD2#41 (Ebron-Niklas-AS-J, in that order). Ebron just distanced himself from the others. But AS-J is a viable RD2#41 option, as is Niklas. Amaro is more of a slot guy and is the most predictable what route he'll be running from that spot. I actually like Niklas over Amaro for what Hackett's trying to do (three-tier zone-read), as Niklas can also be in-line as if to block and end up running a seam route.

Except for DT43 IMHO, WR is the deepest in the draft and several FA WRs could be considered #1 or #2 quality. Bills will likely signal their intentions early which way they'll go at WR. However, Bills shouldn't rely on the draft, as we need to get one of the bigger redzone guys left when we pick in RD2#41 (Mike Evans will be gone; Donte Moncrief and Kelvin Benjamin might be gone). Plan B is still a good one--you take the TE that's left between Niklas or AS-J. I don't think both will be gone.

We can wait 3 rounds max for a difference-making OG, and even longer for our RT. Still think the OGs at RD3 and RD4, as well as Brockport native Branden Albert and the uber-smart Urschel make sense. We could also draft a swing tackle earlier and have him play RT.

Due to upcoming 2015 FA, we also have to consider DE (Dareus), S (AWilliams and Searcy), and RB (Jackson). The Bills looking at RD4-5 Safety this past weekend and RB Andre Williams (who I have at RD4 but moved up a bit over the weekend with his Combine results) shows me their hand.

My draft, then, would take the ILB at RD1#9. I'd want Mack, Mosley, or Skov next to Alonso.

I'd then have the flexibility to take my TE at RD2#41, the big WR.

RD3 is OG, and RD4 is the RB, RD5 is their S, and RD6 is a OL guy and RD7 is a DT43 to back up Dareus.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think there is much of a chance The Bills go Defense in Round #1...I'd put the chances at about 5% right now after seeing the top talent on Offense the past two Combine days...I'm uncertain whether they will go OT, WR, or Ebron...But I don't think it will be a Defensive player...In fact I would be absolutely shocked if they went Defense in the 1st round...They want to get as much talent around EJ as they possibly can...Just listen to what is coming out of Marrone, Whaley, and the media machine at OBD, and read between the lines...It will be Offense in the 1st...And probably the 2nd as well... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

In this case yes. Steen is a mauler and Mosley is as smart as they come --> in so far as reading a play quickly

I'm of the opinion that there are six non- QB elite's out there: Watkins Matthews, Robinson, Mack, Barr, & Clowney. Unfortunately, there aren't elite DL's and QB's to fill out the top 8 before our pick.I'm starting to think we will take C.J. Mosley or Mike Evans with this pick and I would be fine with that. I'd rather have Evans than have him slide to the Jets and have to defend him twice a year.And Mosley has very nice diagnosis skills. Just don't want us reaching

Good point, scary thought right there. Gilmore on Evans.

Good point, scary thought right there. Gilmore on Evans.

The good news is I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell Evans makes it to #18 overall...Of course the Jets could always trade up...

At #18 they'll be looking at Marqise Lee or Kelvin Benjamin...And maybe Ebron if he slides a bit... B-)

Mosley. I don't think Watkins is there any more. He'll go at #2, #5, or #7.

Still not bad RD1-4:

1 9 Buffalo C.J. Mosley ILB Alabama

2 41 Buffalo Troy Niklas TE Notre Dame

3 73 Buffalo Anthony Steen OG Alabama

4 105 Buffalo Morgan Moses RT Virginia

This is a draft I could drink to. Our critical needs are met. I would hope we got a WR in FA to go with it.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think there is much of a chance The Bills go Defense in Round #1...I'd put the chances at about 5% right now after seeing the top talent on Offense the past two Combine days...I'm uncertain whether they will go OT, WR, or Ebron...But I don't think it will be a Defensive player...In fact I would be absolutely shocked if they went Defense in the 1st round...They want to get as much talent around EJ as they possibly can...Just listen to what is coming out of Marrone, Whaley, and the media machine at OBD, and read between the lines...It will be Offense in the 1st...And probably the 2nd as well... B-)

I think your right, unless, Watkins, Robinson, and Mathews are gone and Mack is still there.

I think your right, unless, Watkins, Robinson, and Mathews are gone and Mack is still there.

Agreed...And though it's unlikely, it is possible...Mack would be hard to pass at that point...But I still think, based on need and overall grade, Lewan, Evans, and Ebron would still be in play even if Mack was there...That would leave the Bills with one heck of a tough decision... B-)

Another approach is improve the line with some top talent at OT and G. Make that better, running game and pass blocking get better, which will in turn make the WRs we have look better...

My wish list is ROT, WR, ILB, LG, RG... Not necessarily in that order. I think there are plenty of vet RBs around to pick up if Freddy starts slowing down.

I get that approach....I just don't know if it works in the modern NFL. Seems like there are just as many busts at OT when picked high as WRs and other skilled positions, but unlike WRs far more stud OL are found much later than the top of the first round. When all the Bills need are a ROT and OG, taking at OT at 9 seems way overvalued. When teams (even the bills) can regularly pick up guys like Cordy Glenn in round 2, doesn't it make more sense to go for a guy like Watkins who can be the next CJ or AJ with their top pick? Who knows maybe I'm just scared by a draft history of second round picks like James Hardy and first round can't miss OL picks like Mike Williams. I do notice however that few playoff teams have OLs comprised of top 10 OTs. Tons of low first rounders and second rounders but not a lot of top 10.

Here is what I think makes this difficult. This draft is deep at WR and OT. Do you take a tackle (would have to be Robinson or Mathews) that sees himself as a LT and play him at RT, where he is not going to be happy? Or do you move Glenn, to where he won't be happy. You kind of assure yourself that you will eventually let one walk. You could get a RT in 2 or 3.

The Bills really don't have a number one WR. If you take one at 9 it would have to be Watkins, maybe Evans. Then there is Ebron, would he be a better option the Evans? Can he platy a Jimmy Graham type role? Then go get a WR in 2 or 3?

What if Mack is there? Then you get a RT and WR later?

I think you make a HUGE mistake letting the depth / make up of the draft dictate who your top 10 pick is. Top ten pick in a draft like this has the chance to be an elite difference maker (any of the 9 spelled out by a previous poster qualify) taking a TE like Ebron who may not have the same potential just because he represents value at a position of greater scarcity is how you maximize the value you get in THIS draft only. Teams need to take the long view. Would you rather leave the draft with a guy like Calvin Johnson and some solid role players or a guy like Brandon Petigrew and another value guy like Robert Woods. The value is in the later from a one draft perspective, but successful teams would always aim for the former. When you're drafting low first round you should go for value based upon the board and what you are likely to get in other rounds, as your chance at an elite player is minimal and your odds of competing that year are clearly greater, but the goal of a top ten pick should be to get a guy that means you won't be a top ten pick again for awhile. Go big or go home.

I get that approach....I just don't know if it works in the modern NFL. Seems like there are just as many busts at OT when picked high as WRs and other skilled positions, but unlike WRs far more stud OL are found much later than the top of the first round. When all the Bills need are a ROT and OG, taking at OT at 9 seems way overvalued. When teams (even the bills) can regularly pick up guys like Cordy Glenn in round 2, doesn't it make more sense to go for a guy like Watkins who can be the next CJ or AJ with their top pick? Who knows maybe I'm just scared by a draft history of second round picks like James Hardy and first round can't miss OL picks like Mike Williams. I do notice however that few playoff teams have OLs comprised of top 10 OTs. Tons of low first rounders and second rounders but not a lot of top 10.

I think you make a HUGE mistake letting the depth / make up of the draft dictate who your top 10 pick is. Top ten pick in a draft like this has the chance to be an elite difference maker (any of the 9 spelled out by a previous poster qualify) taking a TE like Ebron who may not have the same potential just because he represents value at a position of greater scarcity is how you maximize the value you get in THIS draft only. Teams need to take the long view. Would you rather leave the draft with a guy like Calvin Johnson and some solid role players or a guy like Brandon Petigrew and another value guy like Robert Woods. The value is in the later from a one draft perspective, but successful teams would always aim for the former. When you're drafting low first round you should go for value based upon the board and what you are likely to get in other rounds, as your chance at an elite player is minimal and your odds of competing that year are clearly greater, but the goal of a top ten pick should be to get a guy that means you won't be a top ten pick again for awhile. Go big or go home.

I think you make good points...But assuming Watkins is gone, which I think is at least a decent assumption...what then? My feeling is the Bills should gamble on greatness with Evans if that happens...But I have to admit I would be OK with Ebron, Matthews, or Lewan as well...I do agree O-Line can be had easier throughout the Draft...But I also think in Lewan and Matthews you are looking at 2 players that easily could have gone #1 overall last year...They are unquestionably elite prospects talent-wise at their position...Plus...Lets face it...Like it or not we have an ex NFL O-Lineman, and ex NFL O-Line coach, as a HC who is determined to run the ball more than any team in the NFL...That's his MO, and I don't think for a second he's going to back away from it...So I'm guessing if Watkins is gone he's going to be banging that table really hard for whatever OT is still around at #9...

We can discuss all day what the proper strategy is...And we will...But the reality is Marrone is the HC and has a vision for this Offense...And more than anything, whatever that vision may be, it will determine how they use that pick at #9...My guess is he will want the OT...But maybe he surprises me...The only thing I think I know for certain is that it will be one of the top rated Offensive players...I doubt any Defensive player will tempt him and Whaley outside of Mack...And I still think in the end they will pass on Mack for Lewan, Matthews, Ebron, or Evans...We'll see though...This should be pretty interesting no matter what... B-)

I think you make good points...But assuming Watkins is gone, which I think is at least a decent assumption...what then? My feeling is the Bills should gamble on greatness with Evans if that happens...But I have to admit I would be OK with Ebron, Matthews, or Lewan as well...I do agree O-Line can be had easier throughout the Draft...But I also think in Lewan and Matthews you are looking at 2 players that easily could have gone #1 overall last year...They are unquestionably elite prospects talent-wise at their position...Plus...Lets face it...Like it or not we have an ex NFL O-Lineman, and ex NFL O-Line coach, as a HC who is determined to run the ball more than any team in the NFL...That's his MO, and I don't think for a second he's going to back away from it...So I'm guessing if Watkins is gone he's going to be banging that table really hard for whatever OT is still around at #9...

We can discuss all day what the proper strategy is...And we will...But the reality is Marrone is the HC and has a vision for this Offense...And more than anything, whatever that vision may be, it will determine how they use that pick at #9...My guess is he will want the OT...But maybe he surprises me...The only thing I think I know for certain is that it will be one of the top rated Offensive players...I doubt any Defensive player will tempt him and Whaley outside of Mack...And I still think in the end they will pass on Mack for Lewan, Matthews, Ebron, or Evans...We'll see though...This should be pretty interesting no matter what... B-)

The drop off in the O line performance between 2012 under Gailey (#7 in run blocking & # 10 in pass blocking), and 2013 (# 16 in run blocking & #28 in pass blocking) was startling to say the least, considering that Marrone is a supposed O line guru.

After last years debacle with the O line I'm highly skeptical of Marrone, and his ability to properly evaluate O line talent. He seemed to think he could get by with some really, really bad players last season. Those players were outright cut after week six, and the backup players were directly off the waiver wire.

When you look at those numbers, and think that the Bills were the #2 rushing team in the NFL last year. Along with being the #1 team in rushing attempts. While the teams offensive time of possession was one of the very worst in the NFL, as they were 25th in in three and out percentage.

They were also 29th in yards per play, and only had 10 drives of more the 5 min the entire year. So much for ball control, and controlling the LoS & clock to keep the defense fresh.

I know what my draft strategy would be for this draft, and I think it will be far different then what will actually happen. Even tho the FO proved they could acquire decent talent in a trade and free agency last off season AKA, Lawson, Hughes, Branch. Don't be shocked if the Bills go defense again this year.

As a HUGE Tide Fan, a quick word of caution about Kouandjio and Steen....

In 2012, they were the 4th and 5th best blockers on the Tide. Sounds crazy, no? Well, the 2012 Alabama OL was SO good that their LG (Warmack) was drafted at #10 and Fluker, a RT, was drafted at #11. Barrett Jones lasted until round 4, but only because he was injured.

Steen played between Jones and Fluker, and that is quite the edge. To put it in perspective, if Fluker was coming out this year, I would grab him at #9 in a second. The kid is great and was a smart, bold pick by the Chargers. Jones actually played LT on the 2011 championship team. I think that he was moved to OC because Saban needed to fill an upcoming hole.

My point? Although I see virtually every Bama game, it's tough to rate Steen and Kouandjio. Steen might be a "mauler," but I am not 100% sure. He isn't very big for a RG at 305 lbs either. Don't misunderstand, I like the kid, but I have a feeling that these two might be drafted later than we expect.

As for Mosley, he reminds me of Kiko much more than a run stuffer. He is a complete LB who is disciplined and smart. He listened to his great coaches. Taking him at #9 seems a tad early to me, but I wouldn't be upset if they grab him. I expect him to be drafted by the Giants.

Just my $.02 as a Crimson Tide Fan.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

In 2012, they were the 4th and 5th best blockers on the Tide. Sounds crazy, no? Well, the 2012 Alabama OL was SO good that their LG (Warmack) was drafted at #10 and Fluker, a RT, was drafted at #11. Barrett Jones lasted until round 4, but only because he was injured.

Steen played between Jones and Fluker, and that is quite the edge. To put it in perspective, if Fluker was coming out this year, I would grab him at #9 in a second. The kid is great and was a smart, bold pick by the Chargers. Jones actually played LT on the 2011 championship team. I think that he was moved to OC because Saban needed to fill an upcoming hole.

My point? Although I see virtually every Bama game, it's tough to rate Steen and Kouandjio. Steen might be a "mauler," but I am not 100% sure. He isn't very big for a RG at 305 lbs either. Don't misunderstand, I like the kid, but I have a feeling that these two might be drafted later than we expect.

As for Mosley, he reminds me of Kiko much more than a run stuffer. He is a complete LB who is disciplined and smart. He listened to his great coaches. Taking him at #9 seems a tad early to me, but I wouldn't bed upset if they grab him. I expect him to be drafted by the Giants.

As for Mosley, he reminds me of Kiko much more than a run stuffer. He is a complete LB who is disciplined and smart. He listened to his great coaches. Taking him at #9 seems a tad early to me, but I wouldn't bed upset if they grab him. I expect him to be drafted by the Giants.

I haven't watched him as much as you being a Bama fan, but from what I have seen and heard about him I would have to agree with your assessment completely. He seems very "NFL Ready" and bust-proof. Not sure he is where the Bills would go at 9 though - I expect an offensive weapon. Just my 1 cent. lol.

I personally dont think Mosley is the type of playmaker we should be getting in the top 10.

On D there is Clowney, Barr, and Mack (3)

At QB I have to believe at least 2 of the big 3 will be drafted (5)

There are two good Tackles (7)

And two good WRs (9)

We are going to end up with a stud at DE/OLB, WR, or T (heck maybe even QB?) There is no need to reach for Mosley IMO.

The drop off in the O line performance between 2012 under Gailey (#7 in run blocking & # 10 in pass blocking), and 2013 (# 16 in run blocking & #28 in pass blocking) was startling to say the least, considering that Marrone is a supposed O line guru.

Its the QB. That is the difference

I personally dont think Mosley is the type of playmaker we should be getting in the top 10.

On D there is Clowney, Barr, and Mack (3)

At QB I have to believe at least 2 of the big 3 will be drafted (5)

There are two good Tackles (7)

And two good WRs (9)

We are going to end up with a stud at DE/OLB, WR, or T (heck maybe even QB?) There is no need to reach for Mosley IMO.

Its the QB. That is the difference

It's a majority, but not all of the difference imo.

Remember, this team was playing hurry-up most of the time. This with inexperienced quarterbacks and coaches, all the way up to Marrone, who btw needs to improve his clock management skills in a big way.