Failing Cities And Their Common Denominator

3rdnlng

More black babies were aborted last year in New York City than were born.

Margret Sanger's dream has almost been reached. For the ignorant, Margret Sanger (PP founder) was a racist eugenicist. She founded PP to get rid of the "undesireables" (poor and blacks) in society. She even enlisted black pastors to help her.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the last 60 years, Buffalo has had only one Republican mayor, Chester Kowal who served one term(1962-1965). All of this time, the city has been decling in population. Coincidence?

I looked at the house I lived in from 2-4 (Wick Street- near Broadway and Bailey, thank got we moved to Cheektowaga). On Google Street View, the house I lived in is still there and it looks lived in. The one to the right is boarded up. The ones behind it on Lidell have all ben torn down.

I read in the BN about a burning car was found with a body in it on Swinburne (next to St John Kanty's Church). On Google Street view, evert house on that block was boarded up or torn down.

My godmother and her husband lived on Goodyear between Sycamore and the RR tracks to the south. They were the last white family on the block. The block was solid with occupied homes. They had someone steal their car from their driveway in broad daylight while they were home. They twice had someone break in and fight with my godmother's husband. Her daughter drove by there a few years ago (never again she said) and said the roof of the porch was collapsed. That home is still on Google Street View In that whole block, only eight homes are still standing. A few are still occupied

Don't blame the landlords. My B-I-L 's fried owned the house across from my godmothers. He made all the required upgrades before he rented it out the first time. The tenants ended up breaking all the windows and destroying at least 3 bathroom sinks and toilets. He just gave up and let the city take the property.

If Buffalo would be up to date on tearing down vacant buildings, it would look like Detroit.

Edited by Wacka

Ok, and Twitter would have chosen Detroit or Buffalo with the same tax incentive? Right...

Twitter was going to be in the suburbs but located in an area of SF that needed revitalization . What influenced them was the tax cuts the city offered. This will lead to more property tax revenue, sales tax, jobs and better economic health. Facebook was not offered a tax cut. After Oracle bought Sun, Sun's campus in Menlo Park at the base of the San Mateo Bridge was empty and Facebook bought it. It was cheaper for them to be based there (because of the lack of tax incentives).

Where do you live ? (general area only is necessary).

Looking at states, it's no surprise that most of the states in better fiscal shape are red States and most of those in the bottom half are blue states. Just shows the contrast in styles and approaches. Fiscal restraint and economic growth just aren't in the Left's DNA.

http://mercatus.org/publication/state-fiscal-condition-ranking-50-states

Ok, and Twitter would have chosen Detroit or Buffalo with the same tax incentive? Right...

No, no, no, you moron. The correct talking point is "Those jobs are created by government, because they were created by a tax incentive, which is the government funding the jobs."

Nope. They may have chosen those cities had they offered better tax incentive. Now those incentives go away in a couple of years and Twitter may just bail on SF. Where will they go? Hmmmmm....

Edited by Chef Jim

Looking at states, it's no surprise that most of the states in better fiscal shape are red States and most of those in the bottom half are blue states. Just shows the contrast in styles and approaches. Fiscal restraint and economic growth just aren't in the Left's DNA.

http://mercatus.org/publication/state-fiscal-condition-ranking-50-states

I am glad to be leaving Illinois. It is an absolute mess here. Already has high taxes and they are about to go higher. Not to mention I have to listen to a retired couple in their mid fifties, former teachers complain about their pensions. Get real and go get a job because those benefits will be cut as they should be.

I am glad to be leaving Illinois. It is an absolute mess here. Already has high taxes and they are about to go higher. Not to mention I have to listen to a retired couple in their mid fifties, former teachers complain about their pensions. Get real and go get a job because those benefits will be cut as they should be.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2538477/posts

http://www.taxpayersunitedofamerica.org/news-releases/4352-illinois-government-retirees-receiving-pensions-over-100000-a-20-increase-from-fy2009

CHICAGO—4,352 retired Illinois government retirees received over $100,000 in pension benefits for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2010, according to pension researcher, Bill Zettler. This is the 9th annual report by Zettler on the top 100 government pension recipients in Illinois.

“The number of retired government employees receiving more than $100,000 a year in retirement pensions rose 20% from 3,597 government employees from fiscal year 2009,” said Zettler. “These pension millionaires are quickly draining the state’s pension funds; the financial burden is clearly unsustainable.”

“Almost all of these multi-millionaire government retirees are educators,” said Jim Tobin, president of National Taxpayers United of Illinois, “The top recipient is Tapas K. Das Gupta, whose annual pension for FY2010 was $402,418. That works out to $33,535 a month.”

“And it doesn’t end there,” said Tobin, “Laura L. Murray holds the spot for highest pension for a public school teacher at $238,882 ($19,907 a month), while Elizabeth Kutska receives the highest pension for a municipal employee with an annual $235,193 ($19,599 a month). St. Senator Arthur Berman receives the highest payout for a legislator with annual pensions totaling $197,503 ($16,459 a month).”

“A state income tax increase is unnecessary. Property tax increases or service cuts are not necessary,” said Tobin. “New government hires should be required to fund their own retirements with 401(k) plans. Ending pensions for new government hires will eventually eliminate unfunded government pensions.”

“In Illinois, if each current state pension fund employee were required to contribute an additional 10% to his or her pension, taxpayers would save over $150 billion over the next 35 years.”

“Requiring public employees to pay for one-half of their health care premiums would save even more – an estimated $230 billion over current projections.”

I am w/you. Most aren't making even near 100k, let alone retiring on it!

Not my generation... It is the Boomers who are to blame and we need to reneg on what was promised. I am Fed and my wife is Illinois Municipal & State University... I kick in to my pension and 60% of my health care. She kicks into her pension and her health care only covers her so she waves it to save money for her oganization... I pick health up for the family and was paying my share of $300+ every two weeks. It creeped up steadily, for the past 15 years, to over $300 every two weeks. I remember paying just over $100 dollars for the same coverage and lower co-pays 15 years ago. Now get this, that amount every two weeks PLUS what the Fed was picking up. My share of health has been cut in half the last two years to $150 every two weeks since I downgraded from Humana to Blue Cross/Shield. I am 46 and have been healthy the 23 years I have been w/the Fed. I never went without health coverage or kicking the max into my retirement and pension... While all along privately funding the same. Whatever pension or SS I get will just be icing on the cake... I probably won't see it and knew this going into the game. I was born 10 years too late.

Again, it is the fat cats @ the top from a previous generation. 50's and they are retired? Ha! If it wasn't for my privately funded retirement, planning on living in the same house for 30 years (if not my life), I will be swinging those gates and climbing down ice pits @ the lock till I am in my 70's, if not dead. So, don't fail me now private sector!

Who would have thought this would be considered my "empire" moving to the midwest 25 years ago and making 7 bucks an hour? LoL... I am blessed and happy... Have a wonderful life, wife, and children through.

In case anybody is wondering... I paid 6k on property taxes last year NOT in Cook County but Republican: Will. On a 150k home... And I don't even send my children to public school, in order to help out (I do get 500 back @ tax time for not sending the children to public).

I do hope the numbers help by me throwing them out there... Just the rank and file here.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Twitter was going to be in the suburbs but located in an area of SF that needed revitalization . What influenced them was the tax cuts the city offered. This will lead to more property tax revenue, sales tax, jobs and better economic health. Facebook was not offered a tax cut. After Oracle bought Sun, Sun's campus in Menlo Park at the base of the San Mateo Bridge was empty and Facebook bought it. It was cheaper for them to be based there (because of the lack of tax incentives).

Where do you live ? (general area only is necessary).

That would be the Dumbarton Bridge. :D

1. That's great!

2. Way too little way too late

3. They don't even have a site for the IT center yet.

At least it was by a bridge. :blush: At least I live nearby and now what going on in the area, unlike gatorman who is on the other side of the country. I remember several years ago, someone (maybe him in his former identity) was telling us Californians that the illegal alien problem here was no big thing.

At least it was by a bridge. :blush: At least I live nearby and now what going on in the area, unlike gatorman who is on the other side of the country. I remember several years ago, someone (maybe him in his former identity) was telling us Californians that the illegal alien problem here was no big thing.

When I first read your post I thought "wait a minute, I work at the end of the SM Bridge" :lol:

And having lived in CA over 30 years I know for a fact that illegal immigration is a big thing.

Unreal though a screwed view. Again I go back to the fact that cutting pension benefits is the lion's share of solving the problem though it is not the end in and of itself. The infrastructure of the school system, water system and roadways is also a mess. If we had some level of trust in government, local to federal, we would probably recognize that tax reform and potentially increases is a part of the equation.

The problem is that the is no trust because history shows that as money flows in it goes to special interests (inclusive of union members) and wasteful projects. We have reached a point where there is so little trust in governments that what we are left with is an us vs. them mentality where nobody looks at larger more important strategic outcomes.

According to money spent we should have second to none infrastructure, schools, roads and public services. The reality is we don't.

Unreal though a screwed view. Again I go back to the fact that cutting pension benefits is the lion's share of solving the problem though it is not the end in and of itself. The infrastructure of the school system, water system and roadways is also a mess. If we had some level of trust in government, local to federal, we would probably recognize that tax reform and potentially increases is a part of the equation.

The problem is that the is no trust because history shows that as money flows in it goes to special interests (inclusive of union members) and wasteful projects. We have reached a point where there is so little trust in governments that what we are left with is an us vs. them mentality where nobody looks at larger more important strategic outcomes.

According to money spent we should have second to none infrastructure, schools, roads and public services. The reality is we don't.

I was just talking to my wife about this yesterday. The government takes 25-50% of your income before you ever see it and then they take another 10% every time you buy something. They say the infrastructure is falling apart. Schools are cancelling some sports, music and other activities. Why is that? Are they not getting as much money as before? It's such a scam. More money does not solve the problem. It never has and why people think increasing the amount of money given to the government will make a difference is beyond me. Oh that's right. This time it will be different. :rolleyes:

I was just talking to my wife about this yesterday. The government takes 25-50% of your income before you ever see it and then they take another 10% every time you buy something. They say the infrastructure is falling apart. Schools are cancelling some sports, music and other activities. Why is that? Are they not getting as much money as before? It's such a scam. More money does not solve the problem. It never has and why people think increasing the amount of money given to the government will make a difference is beyond me. Oh that's right. This time it will be different. :rolleyes:

I very much agree. In my opinion governments, from local to federal, should have a very narrow set of responsibilities with a bias towards keeping it that way. Our current system and the expectations of too many has ballooned to a really unrealistic and unsustainable model. I pay a lot of taxes and I would pay even more if I had faith the money was spent wisely. The problem is that the current system in the US does nothing more than cater to special interests by either party. They are both garbage.

I very much agree. In my opinion governments, from local to federal, should have a very narrow set of responsibilities with a bias towards keeping it that way. Our current system and the expectations of too many has ballooned to a really unrealistic and unsustainable model. I pay a lot of taxes and I would pay even more if I had faith the money was spent wisely. The problem is that the current system in the US does nothing more than cater to special interests by either party. They are both garbage.

And everybody wants a piece of the gov't pie, look who is screaming:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/24/3957934/proposed-defense-cuts-would-hit.html