Failing Cities And Their Common Denominator

3rdnlng

Sorry I think you're no doubt a good guy but Tom is right. You can babble on and on like the village idiot.

I am disagreeing with you, so for sure it is babble.

As much as you want all the "liberal", democrat controlled cities to fail, that just isn't going to happen. But rally around your Detroits & Buffalo's. So, I babble on...

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a grossly crowded and overpopulated state like California I suppose shutting down a military base is like the local tastey freeze closing. In many areas they are the life blood. Not every one can get a IT job Gene's opinion notwithstanding.

Tough ****. Drastic times call for drastic measures. If it's determined the local miltary base needs to close you close it. If the jobs leave your area you leave and go where the jobs are.

When did I say that? Quote me.

You didn't. I am glad you think otherwise.

Tough ****. Drastic times call for drastic measures. If it's determined the local miltary base needs to close you close it. If the jobs leave your area you leave and go where the jobs are.

Spot on.

But that Congressperson will fight tooth and nail for what's best for his constituents and not in the best interest of the whole country.

I know you like being a hard guy but if you've been working on base for 30 years it's not that easy. I understand its necessary to close bases from time to time but I don't like the way you shrug it off as so what.

You didn't. I am glad you think otherwise.

Go to the OP and click on the link and read the article. Because they are failing now doesn't mean they will go bankrupt or can't turn things around. The main economic problems are that the city and school administrations are in bed with the unions. The unions back the politicians and the politicians give the unions what they want. The unions overwhelmingly support democrats. It should be obvious.

I know you like being a hard guy but if you've been working on base for 30 years it's not that easy. I understand its necessary to close bases from time to time but I don't like the way you shrug it off as so what.

Military bases are not to be treated as federal job subsidies. It has to be treated as "so what" whenever their need becomes redundant or obsolete. Getting hung up on "the needs of the local population" when it comes to federal spending is no different than the auto bailouts in Detroit or the Big Bank bailouts if you're going to approach base closings from that vantage.

Life ain't easy. How do you feel with auto plants, steel mills, call centers, department stores, etc etc close?

Yep! And that they will do.

I agree. But there are only so many places to go in this country before you run out of areas. Last man standing. Too bad for places like Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit. The last two dogs standing along the Great Lakes will be Toronto & Chicago. Everybody can't fail. Yeah, that is a bit arrogant of me... We will see what happens.

I hate the cliche because it makes me want to puke, but lack of "Vision" makes these places the economic nidus they have become. Perhaps Buffalo was doomed as soon as water based transpot gave way to rail, or when manufacturing left, but I don't see much in that city that reeks of innovative economic or policy strategy- hence wh I live in Denver.

Military bases are not to be treated as federal job subsidies. It has to be treated as "so what" whenever their need becomes redundant or obsolete. Getting hung up on "the needs of the local population" when it comes to federal spending is no different than the auto bailouts in Detroit or the Big Bank bailouts if you're going to approach base closings from that vantage.

I said I understand base closings can be necessary. What I objected to was Jims "so they can just move to where the jobs are" Who gives a crap attitude. As I type this half my renters are military. Not all of us are high powered financial advisers, or what ever the hell he does in Gov moonbeams state.

I said I understand base closings can be necessary. What I objected to was Jims "so they can just move to where the jobs are" Who gives a crap attitude. As I type this half my renters are military. Not all of us are high powered financial advisers, or what ever the hell he does in Gov moonbeams state.

Ohhhh, I get it now. It's all about you. Got it.

Ohhhh, I get it now. It's all about you. Got it.

Yes I am the sole person in the US who has a monetary stake in a military base. I will say, for the 3rd time I understand some base closings are necessary. And I will say again, for the 2nd time its you're "tough tomato's just pull up stakes and move" attitude I don't like.

Edit: I have no fear about my local MBs. Alaska is just to important.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Yes I am the sole person in the US who has a monetary stake in a military base. I will say, for the 3rd time I understand some base closings are necessary. And I will say again, for the 2nd time its you're "tough tomato's just pull up stakes and move" attitude I don't like.

Edit: I have no fear about my local MBs. Alaska is just to important.

Well I'm a tough love kind of guy. You won't ever see me coddle anyone. And if you don't like that attitude I'm surprised because you seem to display that sometimes yourself.

Well I'm a tough love kind of guy. You won't ever see me coddle anyone. And if you don't like that attitude I'm surprised because you seem to display that sometimes yourself.

No coddling here. I lived in buffalo and saw the last slag pour light up the sky. Accepted it but sure didn't like it. Or tell every one to move. I get things move on but some people have deep roots in where they live and it's more than just a paycheck.