Chris Brown: Buffalo has virtually no dire positional needs

Beerball

See my post above.

I'm totally with you wrt philosophy... I just don't think Ebron is a good fit, so I would've used another example.

Another way to put it ( as I have in other threads) is I think the drop off in talent of some positions is far more drastic than in others- and that is especially true in this draft.

Couple that with the idea that (IMO) the difference between a standout G or RT and a decent G or RT is far less important to a team than nearly every other position.

Ebron was just an example (I should have clarified). Mack & Watkins would be my targets but I doubt that they are there.

I think that you said it much better than I did. Would you rather have the best RT & a decent #1WR or the best WR and a decent RT?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, I see this as a Bills trend over the years. Setting the bar so low that mediocrity is the standard. The team has no "dire" needs, since it simply seeks to maintain the level of mediocrity it has had for over a decade . A team that aspires to being among the best in the league would define "dire" needs much differently.

Sadly, I see this as a Bills trend over the years. Setting the bar so low that mediocrity is the standard. The team has no "dire" needs, since it simply seeks to maintain the level of mediocrity it has had for over a decade . A team that aspires to being among the best in the league would define "dire" needs much differently.

You're reading too much into a standard issue, pre-draft, disinformation piece.

GO BILLS!!!

I think they have "dire needs", but that it's not so much a positional problem. What they need (as far as players) are talented players that will be committed to winning, demanding of each other, and with leadership skills. That can come from just about any position, and I think would have more impact than just filling holes. You need guys that raise the level of the players around them. I don't really get too caught up in "The Legend of Darryl Talley", but he is a great example of the type of player that isn't necessarily a star, but still raises the game of his teammates.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

I guess that I interpreted that differently than most. Dire needs to me would be like Cleveland at RB or the Raiders as QB. If Blaine Gabbert is an upgrade at QB or Willis McGahee at RB (just examples) you have dire needs. They literally don't have a player that can play there. The Bills have major weaknesses but not dire needs. They had a dire need for pass rush when they signed Mario. I am not sure that you can have a dire need at LG. You can just stink there. No team is going from 6 wins to 11 because they upgraded LG. Pass rushers, LT, elite skill players and more obviously QB are really the only dire needs that you can have IMO.

A team with no dire needs doesn't finish 6-10.

Unless the coaching staff is absolute garbage.

So which is it?

Add a serious qb and we are a solid team with several weaknesses (LG and a consistent deep threat being the two biggest that may be "dire" but a great qb might even leave both those acceptable) - we likely aren't adding a qb, so really hopefully we will upgrade our (too many) weaknesses. No one of those (outside Colin brown and justin Rogers) left us non competitive, but the sum of them coupled with qb play did.

In years past we have had starters that didnt belong on a 53 man roster yet alone playing. Now we generally have nfl players but some are below average.

Edited by NoSaint

Add a serious qb and we are a solid team with several weaknesses (LG and a consistent deep threat being the two biggest that may be "dire" but a great qb might even leave both those acceptable) - we likely aren't adding a qb, so really hopefully we will upgrade our (too many) weaknesses. No one of those (outside Colin brown and justin Rogers) left us non competitive, but the sum of them coupled with qb play did.

In years past we have had starters that didnt belong on a 53 man roster yet alone playing. Now we generally have nfl players but some are below average.

Burn me at the stake and call me a homer if you must, but I don't think the Bills were non-competitive last season in any game except NO (2nd half). Yes, I am fully aware... 14 years.

I guess that I interpreted that differently than most. Dire needs to me would be like Cleveland at RB or the Raiders as QB. If Blaine Gabbert is an upgrade at QB or Willis McGahee at RB (just examples) you have dire needs. They literally don't have a player that can play there. The Bills have major weaknesses but not dire needs. They had a dire need for pass rush when they signed Mario. I am not sure that you can have a dire need at LG. You can just stink there. No team is going from 6 wins to 11 because they upgraded LG. Pass rushers, LT, elite skill players and more obviously QB are really the only dire needs that you can have IMO.

That is how I interpreted it, and seems to be the only rational way to interpret it. Of course, if someone is waiting for an opportunity to whine...well, there it was.

Burn me at the stake and call me a homer if you must, but I don't think the Bills were non-competitive last season in any game except NO (2nd half). Yes, I am fully aware... 14 years.

Generally speaking the team may have played tough but those two guys crippled the entire roster against the jets, for instance.

Outside of that I often saw a team that was full of nfl caliber players even if some were closer to 16-24 at their position instead of 8-16. We need to get more of those spots upgraded to average/above average but a guy like chandler, or Stevie will contribute to an nfl roster even if they shouldn't be #1s while others like Gilmore and cj will hopefully get healthy and grow into the roles

I'd agree but add if you are bad enough at those less important positions it can cripple you too- you just have to be extra terrible.

Tampa

That's right, how could I forget? One of the worst sports weekends for me in recent memory. Ohio State loses in the B1G Championship Game Sat. night, Bills beatdown Sunday afternoon as I am still recovering from the Buckeye loss. I think I tried a mind eraser on that weekend. I had to look up the score even - I do remember the D showing up in the 2nd half, FWIW.

Tampa

They were dominated by the Bucs D line 6-27 to a rookie QB. They gave up 8 sacks in that first Jets game! The 3-6 Steelers D line owned the Bills O line in which the Bills offense didn't score a TD until the very end of the game with 5 seconds left on the clock.

That last Patriot game 34-20 loss in which 3 of the 5 Bills O line graded in the red. This is the time of year that players need to stand out and make plays, and not curl up in a fetal position.

The Bills were lucky they played a bad Jacksonville team near the end of the season, and an even worse Dolphin team with their offensive line in complete disarray, or it could have been a 3-4 win season.

Generally speaking the team may have played tough but those two guys crippled the entire roster against the jets, for instance.

Outside of that I often saw a team that was full of nfl caliber players even if some were closer to 16-24 at their position instead of 8-16. We need to get more of those spots upgraded to average/above average but a guy like chandler, or Stevie will contribute to an nfl roster even if they shouldn't be #1s while others like Gilmore and cj will hopefully get healthy and grow into the roles

I'd agree but add if you are bad enough at those less important positions it can cripple you too- you just have to be extra terrible.

I agree with this...

They were dominated by the Bucs D line 6-27 to a rookie QB. They gave up 8 sacks in that first Jets game! The 3-6 Steelers D line owned the Bills O line in which the Bills offense didn't score a TD until the very end of the game with 5 seconds left on the clock.

That last Patriot game 34-20 loss in which 3 of the 5 Bills O line graded in the red. This is the time of year that players need to stand out and make plays, and not curl up in a fetal position.

The Bills were lucky they played a bad Jacksonville team near the end of the season, and an even worse Dolphin team with their offensive line in complete disarray, or it could have been a 3-4 win season.

I agree with Tampa of course... but I do not think they were non competitive in the 2nd Pats game, as they were in the game until the end. That is how I look at that term, personally. The run defense and ST was bad, the offense and pass D kept them in it.Similarly, regardless of the # of sacks the Bills gave up in the Jets game theyt tied it up in the last couple minutes and the Jets had to drive for the GW TD, so not sure you can call that game non-competitive, which was my point. I don't look at is as "lucky" when they win, whoever it may be, however. If you want to go there with saying they could have been a 3 or 4 win team, they easily also could have been a 7 or 8 win team with the "unlucky" things that happened in close games. You don't get lucky in the NFL with "inferior" opponents like you do in college. No one is really inferior to the Bills, they earned every victory they had by winning the game.

This Edited by YoloinOhio

That Steelers game was really, really painful as well.