Tight End Metrics for top prospects

YoloinOhio

Eric Ebron

ASJ

Jace Amaro

Troy Niklas

Richard Rogers

Where did they catch the ball? What did they do after they caught it? Where did they line up? How are their hands?

http://www.rotoworld...shek-te-metrics

Nothing on C.J. Fiedorowicz or Xavier Grimble - because their receptions were so limited that a good sample size wasn’t possible.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW is Ebron really the best of this bunch ? Sure he may make a lot of catches but as it shows in the charts he has the highest drop rate of the bunch & as it goes (not naming any names) but we have had enough of those guys ...

I hope Whaley & crew have access to this type of info b/c ASJ looks to be the best all around TE in this draft .

I would much rather have a guy that is a little less on the production side but a lot more dependable in the clutch then others . He can always be game planned into the scheme more but if he is dropping it more that is taking away from the over all plan so it would be a

wash !!

My vote is for ASJ !! Go get him DW !!

Edited by T master

WOW is Ebron really the best of this bunch ? Sure he may make a lot of catches but as it shows in the charts he has the highest drop rate of the bunch & as it goes (not naming any names) but we have had enough of those guys ...

I hope Whaley & crew have access to this type of info b/c ASJ looks to be the best all around TE in this draft .

I would much rather have a guy that is a little less on the production side but a lot more dependable in the clutch then others . He can always be game planned into the scheme more but if he is dropping it more that is taking away from the over all plan so it would be a

wash !!

I think there has been a bit of a knock on Ebron for drops and blocking ability, although not sure he was asked to block much. I think ASJ's style is the better fit for this offense, from what we have seen thus far (doesn't mean they can't change it to more effectively maximize an Ebron).

My take away from this:

Ebron is in the Jimmy Graham mold of catching a lot, yac, except he has a concerning drop rate

ASJ has terrible yac but catches everything thrown his way

Amaro is almost a wr just in a big body. 87% of his snaps in the slot are really eye popping. It struck me as weird then that so many of his catches were 1-5 yards away from the los

Niklas is a te in the traditional sense that he lines up inline the majority of the time. which then surprised me that he caught most of his passes 6-10 yards out and averaged 6.41 yac.

Rogers lined up a ton in the slot but didn't have a single catch over 20 yards from the los? That is interesting to say the least and scary to me.

Going purely off of these stats (I know stats are for losers) Niklas really looks like a great prospect for the Bills. He seems to be well rounded and can still do some damage receiving wise.

I would take Troy Niklas over any of the other prospects at TE. He is huge, blocks well, runs well/stretches the seam,has good hands, wins jump balls, gets good yardage after the catch and has shown steady improvement year to year. This is a complete player who is only going to continue to get better in the future. He would be a steal in Round Two or second half of the first if we trade down.

I would take Troy Niklas over any of the other prospects at TE. He is huge, blocks well, runs well/stretches the seam,has good hands, wins jump balls, gets good yardage after the catch and has shown steady improvement year to year. This is a complete player who is only going to continue to get better in the future. He would be a steal in Round Two or second half of the first if we trade down.

I fully expect Niklas to be there in round 2 when Buffalo picks. A team wanting the complete package at TE will likely go with ASJ before Niklas...that's not to say Niklas isn't good; I like him quite a bit.

If not Niklas, I think Fiedorowicz and Crockett Gillmore fit the do-everything mold as TEs as well, and should be available in the 3rd and 4th rounds, respectively.

wash !!

That drop rate is scary. While I'd take ebron over asj if they were both on the board in the 2nd rd, taking ebron at 9 is looking to be risky IMO. I didn't realize his drop rate was so high. If we're drafting a TE number 9 overall, he better have the total package. Last season, jimmy graham dropped 3 passes. 2.1% as opposed to ebrons 11+%. Ebron has the best upside, but I'd rather use our 1st rd pick on OL, LB or Watkins.

That drop rate is scary. While I'd take ebron over asj if they were both on the board in the 2nd rd, taking ebron at 9 is looking to be risky IMO. I didn't realize his drop rate was so high. If we're drafting a TE number 9 overall, he better have the total package. Last season, jimmy graham dropped 3 passes. 2.1% as opposed to ebrons 11+%. Ebron has the best upside, but I'd rather use our 1st rd pick on OL, LB or Watkins.

Yes, I noticed these comments in the article:

- As the convergence of TEs and WRs continues, drop rate becomes a much more important metric to analyze in regard to these players. Tight ends will often have higher drop rates than wide receivers, so we’ll be less harsh on them. However, if a TE is being marketed as a ‘receiving’ player, you can’t always cut them slack for drops (I would put Ebron in that category)

- Here’s Ebron’s dirty little secret – his hands just aren’t as good as some make them out to be. He made some nice one-handed grabs, but he also has a 11.43% drop rate which is not something to be overlooked.

Great post.

TE is an area of our offense that could help young EJ out alot. For that reason, it's important we address it SOON. Scott Chandler is a SOLID guy, great hands, good work ethic, etc. However, IF there's a chance to upgrade a position, or double down on a peice with the hopes they can work in unison, I'd do it every time. Two tight-end sets create mismatches and leave defenses exposed in vulnerable spots (seam and flat) It also helps to neutralize certain blitz packages.

One of my FAVORITE prospects coming out this year is TE Alex Bayer from Bowling Green... Man, oh man can this kid play football!

He's an excellent blocker, catches everything, and at 6'4" 262lbs possesses deceptive speed and agility. As of right now, Bayer is 100% under the radar. I am truly shocked that all the draftniks have him going 6th round to UDFA. Alex Bayer is a hard-working, get-you-what-you-need type of player. He could bring a welcome layer of protection to our QB, as well as a dash of lethality on third downs, and in the red-zone.

He doesn't play in a (formerly) AQ conference, and there isn't a lot of hype atached to his name, but Alex Bayer is a kid our scouts need to check out. GO BILLS.

Edited by #34fan

I would assume that "drop rate" factors in catchable balls that were flat-out dropped. So it shouldn't matter who was throwing the ball and that would only figure into number of targets. Given that, I don't know how they can say that Ebron has better hands than Amaro.

Eric Ebron

ASJ

Jace Amaro

Troy Niklas

Richard Rogers

Where did they catch the ball? What did they do after they caught it? Where did they line up? How are their hands?

http://www.rotoworld...shek-te-metrics

Nothing on C.J. Fiedorowicz or Xavier Grimble - because their receptions were so limited that a good sample size wasn’t possible.

I hate metrics because people generally jump to conclusions based solely on numbers (unofficial numbers at that)...However in this case these metrics basically reinforce my opinions of these players.

ASJ has long been my favorite TE in this draft, due to his great all around catching ability while also playing a more traditional TE role (inline, blocking, ect). Guys like Ebron and especially Amaro are mostly just receiving threats.

If the Bills can't get ASJ, Niklas would be a great fit in the 3rd as well with his good blocking abilities and chandler like pass catching ability. Fiedorowicz would similarly be a good fit in the 4th or so, for the same reasons.

Bills interested in Colt Lyerla?

NFL_DRAFT_Bites@NFLDraftBites

For all the knocks on Nolan Nawrocki, his evaluation on Colt Lyeria is incredibly accurate. Know 2 teams interested are Buffalo & Atlanta

https://twitter.com/...229375122763776

Not a Lyerla fan...Hugely hyped up, mostly disappointed on the field.

Read the tweets in response to that, seems to be debunked.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I hate metrics because people generally jump to conclusions based solely on numbers (unofficial numbers at that)...However in this case these metrics basically reinforce my opinions of these players.

ASJ has long been my favorite TE in this draft, due to his great all around catching ability while also playing a more traditional TE role (inline, blocking, ect). Guys like Ebron and especially Amaro are mostly just receiving threats.

If the Bills can't get ASJ, Niklas would be a great fit in the 3rd as well with his good blocking abilities and chandler like pass catching ability. Fiedorowicz would similarly be a good fit in the 4th or so, for the same reasons.

Not a Lyerla fan...Hugely hyped up, mostly disappointed on the field.

Read the tweets in response to that, seems to be debunked.

Interested in bringining him into camp as a UDFA and interested enough to invest even a late-round pick are two different things. I doubt the Bills would do the latter.

Interested in bringining him into camp as a UDFA and interested enough to invest even a late-round pick are two different things. I doubt the Bills would do the latter.

Sure, no reason not to look at him as a UDFA. I just remember one point early at Oregon they kept touting him as being an NFL bound star. He then proceeded to be mediocre on a dominant offense.

Being a coke head doesn't help.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Ebron also had to deal with a QB change midway through the season when Renner was injured. Renner was pocket passer and better pure passer than his replacement Marquise Williams who is a read-option QB. Ebron's 8.84 YAC is the number you really want to look at.