Tight End Metrics for top prospects

YoloinOhio

In fairness to Mayock & Kiper (both of whom I respect), their TV job is most comparable to being a national scout, not a GM. By all accounts, Buddy Nix was a fantastic scout, but by my account, not a great GM. I could easily see Mayock or Kiper going the same way. If I ran an NFL team, I'd be happy to hire either as a high-level scout, but I don't think that job would pay nearly as well as their TV gigs.

The only defense of Lombardi's recent tenure is that he may have had essentially no power whatsoever. Tough to say, but he certainly wasn't allowed to talk to the media very much. Having said that, I'm not a big Lombardi fan. I was initially very impressed by his appearances on the BS Report, but after hearing him enough times, I came to the conclusion that he has a variety of very impressive ways of telling you things you already know. He can talk about blue-chippers all day and it sounds great, but all he's saying is that you want to get elite players. Duh. What GM is out there trying to build around role players? (Don't say Doug Whaley.) One of his big things in Cleveland was focusing on getting half-time leads. Yeah, no shot, Sherlock. Who is out there with a gameplan of being down 10 at the half? "We're gonna lull them into a false sense of confidence!"

100% agreed.

From what I have heard, this is spot on. When they were doing the GM search last year, they had a very difficult time getting any good GM candidates because they didn't want to work for Joe Banner for that very reason. A GM wants control. Banner doesn't give any of that. You are correct - he was never present at any press conferences, etc. And when they brought him in, they didn't even give him a title right away. No one knew what he was really doing. So then they bring in Ray Farmer and called him the "Assistant GM." So then we all assumed - Lombardi must be the GM. But we never saw or heard from him.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic