Tight End Metrics for top prospects

YoloinOhio

Ebron also had to deal with a QB change midway through the season when Renner was injured. Renner was pocket passer and better pure passer than his replacement Marquise Williams who is a read-option QB. Ebron's 8.84 YAC is the number you really want to look at.

I believe where he's lined up is as important as anything else...Most of the time he wasn't even playing TE, he played as a WR. For coaches like Marrone/Hackett this is very important since they love the power run game. They barely even looked at Gragg because he was a similar type of player that is used more like a WR than an inline TE. I like Ebron, but I'm skeptical that the Bills are even interested.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how receptive he would be to a position change but Rutger's WR Brandon Coleman intrigues me. It's not uncommon, especially with the Bills, to have these college kids change positions. Coleman at the TE position would be that fast pass catching TE that seems so lucrative in today's NFL.

I don't know how receptive he would be to a position change but Rutger's WR Brandon Coleman intrigues me. It's not uncommon, especially with the Bills, to have these college kids change positions. Coleman at the TE position would be that fast pass catching TE that seems so lucrative in today's NFL.

EJ can really use the blocking up front. Why settle for one or the other when you can have both? AND at a bargain, no less? -I take Alex Bayer... it'll be grand theft if he's there in the 6th.

Edited by #34fan

Eric Ebron

ASJ

Jace Amaro

Troy Niklas

Richard Rogers

Where did they catch the ball? What did they do after they caught it? Where did they line up? How are their hands?

http://www.rotoworld...shek-te-metrics

Nothing on C.J. Fiedorowicz or Xavier Grimble - because their receptions were so limited that a good sample size wasn’t possible.

First off, this is awesome - thanks for posting!

Second, between this and their first WR breakdown, I've decided I want Mike Evans in the first and Troy Niklas (or ASJ) in the 2nd. Re-sign Byrd, fix the O-line in free agency, and you can go defense in rounds 3-7 if you want.

Second, between this and their first WR breakdown, I've decided I want Mike Evans in the first and Troy Niklas (or ASJ) in the 2nd. Re-sign Byrd, fix the O-line in free agency, and you can go defense in rounds 3-7 if you want.

You make it sound so easy! Edited by YoloinOhio

you forgot one thing. ILB. At least a 2 down ILB. And I am pretty sure I can recommend one free agent for that.

Drop a 4th or later on the next Ken Davis, Jon Linton, or Fred Jackson.

But otherwise you have it down.

To me its YAC, as other stuff can be coached up, and Ebron leads that. But is he the best value at #9? We will hear from Mayock in two days on this.

depends on how the TE is used. But seldom is a traditional TE more then 8 yards beyond the LOS on passing plays. Seldom should they be that deep. If a TE has the abilitytto turn 4 yards in to 7 every time then I want him on therroster.

To me its YAC, as other stuff can be coached up, and Ebron leads that. But is he the best value at #9? We will hear from Mayock in two days on this.

I respect you as a poster but I hate this line of thinking. Who gives a crap what Mayock & Kiper's board looks like? Mayock said part time starter Robert Ayers was the best defensive player on his draft. He has not worked in a NFL FO. These draft "experts" are hardly experts. They are entertainment so to respect their opinion as gospel is crazy.

I would assume that "drop rate" factors in catchable balls that were flat-out dropped. So it shouldn't matter who was throwing the ball and that would only figure into number of targets. Given that, I don't know how they can say that Ebron has better hands than Amaro.

I just think that there is a difference between a catchable drop ball, it kinda matters if it's from Vince Young or Peyton Manning.

And I'd love to have a guy who never drops a ball. But they happen. But do you want the guy who is good for 10 yards or the guy who can break a 10 yard pass for a huge play?

I believe where he's lined up is as important as anything else...Most of the time he wasn't even playing TE, he played as a WR. For coaches like Marrone/Hackett this is very important since they love the power run game. They barely even looked at Gragg because he was a similar type of player that is used more like a WR than an inline TE. I like Ebron, but I'm skeptical that the Bills are even interested.

They didn't use Gragg because he's an undersized 7th rounder. Ebron is the #1 TE in his class. They aren't comparable.

I respect you as a poster but I hate this line of thinking. Who gives a crap what Mayock & Kiper's board looks like? Mayock said part time starter Robert Ayers was the best defensive player on his draft. He has not worked in a NFL FO. These draft "experts" are hardly experts. They are entertainment so to respect their opinion as gospel is crazy.

I agree that it's pointless to take any analysts opinion as gospel, even Mayock.

That said, his opinion on players does carry the most weight with me, for several reasons, not the least of which is that he's been approached at least twice (that's been reported anyway) by teams wanting him in their personnel department. Oakland wanted him as their GM in 2007. He also claimed to have had "3 or 4 offers" to join NFL front office staffs...I don't believe he has any reason to lie.

I agree that it's pointless to take any analysts opinion as gospel, even Mayock.

That said, his opinion on players does carry the most weight with me, for several reasons, not the least of which is that he's been approached at least twice (that's been reported anyway) by teams wanting him in their personnel department. Oakland wanted him as their GM in 2007. He also claimed to have had "3 or 4 offers" to join NFL front office staffs...I don't believe he has any reason to lie.

I think if Oakland wants him,that's more of a negative. :)

I think Mayock is probably the best. But they should be treated as conversation starters. I would love to see a draft expert become a GM. Mike Lombardi was a disaster in Cleveland. It is a lot easier to make bold predictions when your job isn't on the line.

I think Mayock is probably the best. But they should be treated as conversation starters. I would love to see a draft expert become a GM. Mike Lombardi was a disaster in Cleveland. It is a lot easier to make bold predictions when your job isn't on the line.

Lombardi was Director of Personnel in Philadelphia and GM in Oakland before he was on NFL Network...

Lombardi was Director of Personnel in Philadelphia and GM in Oakland before he was on NFL Network...

I know that. It was more to point out how a recent guy who went from tv to a FO fared when he was actually in a real decision making job.

I predict the majority of draft experts would be fired within 3 years if they were actually NFL execs. It'd be a great reality show.

I know that. It was more to point out how a recent guy who went from tv to a FO fared when he was actually in a real decision making job.

I predict the majority of draft experts would be fired within 3 years if they were actually NFL execs. It'd be a great reality show.

I saw a stat... and having a relative in an NFL FO I don't dispute it.. that unless you work for a team you don't have about 40% of the info on these players that they have - which can be both a blessing and a curse. Sometimes too much info leads to decisions that you are making about the tiniest of factors.

I saw a stat... and having a relative in an NFL FO I don't dispute it.. that unless you work for a team you don't have about 40% of the info on these players that they have - which can be both a blessing and a curse. Sometimes too much info leads to decisions that you are making about the tiniest of factors.

Thanks and that's interesting. Again, I love the draft talk & the "experts." It makes for great discussion. But it drives me crazy that some fans can determine if a pick is good or bad because of these "experts" rankings.

Thanks and that's interesting. Again, I love the draft talk & the "experts." It makes for great discussion. But it drives me crazy that some fans can determine if a pick is good or bad because of these "experts" rankings.

Now I remember who said that about the 40% ... it was Bill Polian on ESPN around the time of the Sr Bowl.

I think Mayock is probably the best. But they should be treated as conversation starters. I would love to see a draft expert become a GM.

In fairness to Mayock & Kiper (both of whom I respect), their TV job is most comparable to being a national scout, not a GM. By all accounts, Buddy Nix was a fantastic scout, but by my account, not a great GM. I could easily see Mayock or Kiper going the same way. If I ran an NFL team, I'd be happy to hire either as a high-level scout, but I don't think that job would pay nearly as well as their TV gigs.

Mike Lombardi was a disaster in Cleveland.

The only defense of Lombardi's recent tenure is that he may have had essentially no power whatsoever. Tough to say, but he certainly wasn't allowed to talk to the media very much. Having said that, I'm not a big Lombardi fan. I was initially very impressed by his appearances on the BS Report, but after hearing him enough times, I came to the conclusion that he has a variety of very impressive ways of telling you things you already know. He can talk about blue-chippers all day and it sounds great, but all he's saying is that you want to get elite players. Duh. What GM is out there trying to build around role players? (Don't say Doug Whaley.) One of his big things in Cleveland was focusing on getting half-time leads. Yeah, no shot, Sherlock. Who is out there with a gameplan of being down 10 at the half? "We're gonna lull them into a false sense of confidence!"

It is a lot easier to make bold predictions when your job isn't on the line.

100% agreed.

In fairness to Mayock & Kiper (both of whom I respect), their TV job is most comparable to being a national scout, not a GM. By all accounts, Buddy Nix was a fantastic scout, but by my account, not a great GM. I could easily see Mayock or Kiper going the same way. If I ran an NFL team, I'd be happy to hire either as a high-level scout, but I don't think that job would pay nearly as well as their TV gigs.

The only defense of Lombardi's recent tenure is that he may have had essentially no power whatsoever. Tough to say, but he certainly wasn't allowed to talk to the media very much. Having said that, I'm not a big Lombardi fan. I was initially very impressed by his appearances on the BS Report, but after hearing him enough times, I came to the conclusion that he has a variety of very impressive ways of telling you things you already know. He can talk about blue-chippers all day and it sounds great, but all he's saying is that you want to get elite players. Duh. What GM is out there trying to build around role players? (Don't say Doug Whaley.) One of his big things in Cleveland was focusing on getting half-time leads. Yeah, no shot, Sherlock. Who is out there with a gameplan of being down 10 at the half? "We're gonna lull them into a false sense of confidence!"

100% agreed.

Great post. I also used to listen to Lombardi on the BS reports and always thought he believed he was the smartest guy in the room.