A reason why the Bills have been terrible on offense for years

Jerry Jabber

I will never understand why he didn't get any action after being signed. If he wasn't ready he should not have been on the active roster. Now the Bills enter the 2014 season not having a (firsthand) clue about what he can do during an actual game.

i think thats a bit exaggerated. its not like these arent professionals with loads of game tape from his career, access to him in practice, training rooms and additionally some tape from the games. just because he didnt get a lot of reps on short notice in december doesnt mean they dont have a clue what they have (i know thats not exactly what you asserted, but i feel semi-implied).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some or a lot of the blame has to be passed on to the coaching staffs that were here when these players were being developed then dumped . There were a couple of the QB's that we had here that with a quality coaching staff could have been molded into a serviceable NFL QB . Others were lifetime back ups !

I think 2 guys that were Bills QB's in JP & Trent given what they showed in their early time on the field as the Bills QB's COULD HAVE under a quality coach that knew how to properly develop a young NFL QB with the intelligence & proper skill set again COULD HAVE been very serviceable QB's .

But due to the let's say incompetence of the head coaches put in charge at the time of their time in B/Lo along with a very below average offensive line & surrounding skill players these 2 guys were doomed from the start !

JP for the one year put up great numbers but later was constantly running for his life & never had a chance to make a good decision, add to that the coach at the time being Mularkey which should just about say it all pulling him out of the line up then putting him back in then sitting him the guy just killed any potential & confidence the kid had .

Trent also showed at first that he was very capable of being a good QB but in the same vein as JP his offensive line SUCKED which got him tagged so hard it changed his entire career !

Given all of that if EJ has to continue to play with a O line that gave him the protection that we saw them give last year he will also be a top of the Bills scrap heap of past QB's b/c no matter how good the QB is if they don't have the time to go throughout their reads & make a good decision they are going to fail which is something that Bills fans don't get & above all don't care to here they just expect miracles !!

Edited by T master

i think thats a bit exaggerated. its not like these arent professionals with loads of game tape from his career, access to him in practice, training rooms and additionally some tape from the games. just because he didnt get a lot of reps on short notice in december doesnt mean they dont have a clue what they have (i know thats not exactly what you asserted, but i feel semi-implied).

What game tape exists of Moioki post injury? Why bother activating him?

did he actually take zero snaps, or simply get zero targets?

honestly without looking back at the roster that week i couldnt give a real honest answer why to have him active if he actually got zero reps.

HA! Not according to most Bills fans here defending Marrone, Gailey, as it seems any coach can make a mistake concerning bad players.

Anyway, I think the Bills just wanted to give the guy a lot of time to fully recover, and get completely healthy. Plus, learn the play book at the same time.

I watched him a lot at KC, and if not for the injury bug that has followed him over the years, he could have been a top ten TE IMO.

As for the latter question, In case Chander (who is frequently injured) was lost due to an injury is my guess.

The thing is with Moeaki is that he was oft injured in college too. But the next thing is the kid is very proficient at blocking and catching. The problem is this guy has had a Litany of injuries all thru his playing time in both collage & pro's.

Coming out of college he was graded by NFP as : He might be the best blocking tight end in the nation.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2010/3/1/1316098/daily-nfl-draft-prospect-profile

Just to give some insight in to his use as a receiver, he has run a 4.60 in the past.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5841/tony-moeaki

I love the kid, and love the pickup...now, if only the Bills trainers can work with him, and get him past his injuries. He could be an awesome pickup

FeartheLosing, I agree 100% with you, you nailed everything right on the head.

Please allow me to hop on the FtL bandwagon with you, JJ.

Spot on.

Thanks guys :D

Lets hope this year the new GM does things correctly with that O line. He certinly did great with the defense Kiko, Manny, Jerry Hughs

Article reinforces what we all know: the Bills have done poorly is developing a plan on how to build the team (how positions are valued), evaluating and acquiring of talent. One mistake can snowball for a decade. Let Winfield walk and the spend years and draft picks trying to replace him. if you have a chance to draft a franchise type player, you go for it. The drafting for need puts you on a tread mill of futility. I see Whaley as a welcome departure from the errant ways of prior GMs.

I agree Nitro. Having a terrible Offensive line for years is inexcusable. I've always believed in building from the lines out. Your QB has to have enough time in the pocket to go through his reads, as well as having the O-line to open holes in the run game. The Bills have had a tendency of letting their key valuable players walk (such as Winfield and Pat Williams).

I will never understand why he didn't get any action after being signed. If he wasn't ready he should not have been on the active roster. Now the Bills enter the 2014 season not having a (firsthand) clue about what he can do during an actual game.

That's easy. The season was all ready shot and they didn't want to spring their secret weapon until next year.

players like Graham, Gronk and V. Davis aren't the norm. it would make sense that a traditional TE would be what they'd look at. the odds of finding a TE like those guys are not that good. also with graham and gronk the offense tends to run a bit more through them. the running game isn't nearly as manditory in those offenses either.

While we all know they're "no **** comments," they're not blatantly apparent to the people at OBD as we keep seeing the same problems year after year.

The idiots at OBD don't get nothing. They think the key to winning a super bowl is drafting and retaining bad or mediocre players. If they knew the importance of having good football players they'd be a perennial winner. Whaley and Brandon should suffer through some semi-literate nobody's football blog and learn a thing or two.