Let's all have a nice big pity party for these Millennials

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the poor job market is not the only reason that recent graduates feel stuck in internships. Millennials, it is often said, want more than just a paycheck; they crave meaningful and fulfilling careers, maybe even a chance to change the world.

That may explain why millennials like Breanne Thomas, 24, an aspiring entrepreneur in Brooklyn, has bounced from internship to internship. Unlike her parents’ generation, it is not enough to find a steady job; she wants to follow the path of Mark Zuckerberg, or at least to get in on the ground floor of the next Facebook, the next Twitter.

Wah! Being an emotionally fulfilled multi-billionaire entrepreneur is hard! Wah!

They're immortal, dream of aspiring to greatness, feel under-appreciated, altruistic, and ennobled by the justness of their "progressive" convictions.

Too bad they can't see they've been soaking their entire lives in a liberal marinade of entitlements while their freedoms are being increasingly compromised by the politicians they blindly follow.

Wah! Being an emotionally fulfilled multi-billionaire entrepreneur is hard! Wah!

I have to admit that this portion of the article made me laugh.

What the !@#$ is an aspiring entrepreneur?

Who the !@#$ holds out for "the ground floor of the next huge social media IPO"?

Who the hell set this moron's expectations?

I've found that the word entrepreneur is now a euphemism for unemployed and without prospects. I've met plenty of entrepreneurs over the past few years.

There was one captain of industry with a granola bar start up. He lived with his folks, was tinkering with the recipe and was concerned that outside investors would compromise the integrity of his product which did not exist.

There was the duo designing a video game. They were in the story phase while their friend learned basic programming skills.

High end home theater solutions was a good one. One kid spending the grant that he got to attend community college buying receivers and expensive cables, but inventory never really seemed to move since he had no customers. He was the wisest and eventually completed his associates degree after 6.5 years and now is an unauthorized vendor of electronic bicycles I think.

What the !@#$ is an aspiring entrepreneur?

Who the !@#$ holds out for "the ground floor of the next huge social media IPO"?

75% of the people I interview here in the Bay Area for a position or try to do some planning for. If I hear the term Start Up one more time I'm ging to !@#$ing kill someone.

75% of the people I interview here in the Bay Area for a position or try to do some planning for. If I hear the term Start Up one more time I'm ging to !@#$ing kill someone.

Yeah, but here's the thing...

Those two thoughts are entirely incompatible.

Entrepreneurs don't "aspire", and the don't "hold out for opportunities". They go out, with a budget of zero dollars, and nothing but their own sweat equity and business savy, and they create their vision. They don't wait around for years working as coffee fetchers for people who are creating their vision, hoping that windfall stock options fall into their laps.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Yeah, but here's the thing...

Those two thoughts are entirely incompatible.

Entrepreneurs don't "aspire", and the don't "hold out for opportunities". They go out, with a budget of zero dollars, and nothing but their own sweat equity and business savy, and they create their vision. They don't wait around for years working as coffee fetchers for people who are creating their vision, hoping that windfall stock options fall into their laps.

No ****, I know what a entrepreneur is. The people I'm talking to think they are and think you can aspire to be one.

I've found that the word entrepreneur is now a euphemism for unemployed and without prospects.

Wait....I thought that's what the word "blogger" meant.

Entrepreneurs don't "aspire", and the don't "hold out for opportunities". They go out, with a budget of zero dollars, and nothing but their own sweat equity and business savy, and they create their vision.

They didn't build that. Someone else made it happen.

You gotta hand it to The Onion. They really are putting out some funny stuff lately.

Wait. What? This is a real article?

The moribund economy is, without question, a primary factor behind the shift. Even though the employment picture has brightened since the depths of the Great Recession, few would describe it as sunny. The general unemployment rate inched down to 6.6 percent last month, but the jobless rate for college graduates age 20 to 24 stood at 8 percent in 2013, compared with 5.1 percent in 2007, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Someone should tell the NYT and the idiots who think their eighth unpaid internship could be "the one" that the unemployment rate did NOT dip to 6.6% because "the employment picture has brightened."

That's some bubble progs like to live in...

I like how the one girl didn't want her last name published in fear of compromising a job application, but then went on to mention the specifics about her job history which I'm sure are on her resume. For the record...we pay our interns B-)

Edited by Kevbeau