Prison MBA's

stuckinny

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't we start by just making sure the prison population is just as literate as the rest of society? Then we can work on getting GED's.

Why are we so worried about MBA's when the 99.9% of the prison population will never get one?

Baby steps.

There is a prison GED program.

I don't mind one way or another but it does seem to be a reversal of the natural order.

What's the natural order that you refer to? Putting people in cages for a few years and then releasing them back into society and telling them to be good doesn't sound natural. Or effective.

Edited by John Adams

What's the natural order that you refer to? Putting people in cages for a few years and then releasing them back into society and telling them to be good doesn't sound natural. Or effective.

Usually people get their MBAs first then later become criminals

How much does it cost the government, society and the always forgotten victims if the prisoners get out of jail and commit another crime? This government investment could pay for itself easily

Exactly. They could earn a degree, get out of prison, and not find a job like the rest of American graduates!

I know. But I'm betting that the prison population still lags behind the rest of the population in terms of ged or hs diplomas.

I'm suggesting we start by making real inroads on getting as many people up to the same minimum level of education that we provide the rest of society. That's at least a level that people can't argue about unfair treatment since it's a level provided to everyone.

What do you propose to do about recidivism, given the current environment surrounding opporunities for individuals exiting the prison system?

Do you believe it would cost less to educate an individual while they are serving their current sentence, possibly reducing their sentence, and giving them real opportunity; or do you believe it would cost less to not educate them, have them serve their full sentence, and have them return to prison for another extended sentence a year later when they re-offend?

If you are rich you probably don't need college loans to pay for college, and if you are poor you will qualify for all sorts of subsidies and programs, while the MIddle Class is told you can take out low interest loans and pay them back over a 10 year period to afford it.

Color me wrong but Jail is a punishment for doing somethign wrong. You should give up your free rights, while you broke the law. So again this is a bit of class warfare because we reward the misfortunate with all sorts of programs while squeezing the middle class for even more tax money. I wish the governor of NYS would learn to live within his 2% property tax cap like the local governments need to!

Edited by stuckinny

If you are rich you probably don't need college loans to pay for college, and if you are poor you will qualify for all sorts of subsidies and programs, while the MIddle Class is told you can take out low interest loans and pay them back over a 10 year period to afford it.

Color me wrong but Jail is a punishment for doing somethign wrong. You should give up your free rights, while you broke the law. So again this is a bit of class warfare because we reward the misfortunate with all sorts of programs while squeezing the middle class for even more tax money. I wish the governor of NYS would learn to live within his 2% property tax cap like the local governments need to!

The point is if you can capture a criminal audience who catches fire and gets postive self image from learning while in the clink, rather than trying to shank someone, perhaps they come out and find a life of employment and propersity- and maybe their debt to society is repaid as these educated ex-cons get involved wiht youth and other at risk Americans to keep them out of jail and in school, or in job training. Maybe the repayment is not going back to prison, rather manning up and paying your bills the honest way.

Many of these guys were dealt a **** life, **** family, **** friends, **** situation- We might be amazed what is inside some of those criminal given teh chance to success, rather than rob and steal.

What's your point? I thought you were arguing about incarceration costs to taxpayers, the above is unrelated to that. Stay on topic.

Color me wrong but Jail is a punishment for doing somethign wrong. You should give up your free rights, while you broke the law.

Jail, in the United States, is not soley about punishment; it's also about rehabilitation. Assuming your goal isn't to simply execute all criminals of all varieties, nor is it to give lifetime sentences for all crimes, you have to start with the base premise that these people, after serving their sentence, will be released back out into society with the rest of us.

The question then becomes, what sort of individual do you want to release? A desperate, institutionalized, criminal with zero prospects other than returning to crime or starving to death? Or perhaps a functional human being who has the potential to make his way in society without resorting to future crimes?

Keep in mind that any answer that bears resemblence to: "I want them to not be criminals anymore because they should be afraid to go back to jail." is a foolish response that doesn't take reality into account. Clearly that isn't a strong deterrent, given recitivism rates.

So how do you solve the problem?

So again this is a bit of class warfare because we reward the misfortunate with all sorts of programs while squeezing the middle class for even more tax money. I wish the governor of NYS would learn to live within his 2% property tax cap like the local governments need to!

No, it isn't regardless of how much you'd like to characterize it as such. It's about managing the known costs of the prison system.

What costs more?

An MBA program that works to rehabilitate inmates, and serves as a grounds for early release (keeping in mind that it costs, on average, around $47,000 anually to incarcerate someone), or to keep them incarcerated for a longer duration of time, with a high lik,elyhood that they'll re-offend once released, and wind up back in prison for another stretch, once again forcing the population to incur the costs of their incarceration?

The point is if you can capture a criminal audience who catches fire and gets postive self image from learning while in the clink, rather than trying to shank someone, perhaps they come out and find a life of employment and propersity- and maybe their debt to society is repaid as these educated ex-cons get involved wiht youth and other at risk Americans to keep them out of jail and in school, or in job training. Maybe the repayment is not going back to prison, rather manning up and paying your bills the honest way.

Many of these guys were dealt a **** life, **** family, **** friends, **** situation- We might be amazed what is inside some of those criminal given teh chance to success, rather than rob and steal.

:w00t:

unicornfartax2.jpg

that may very well be the case. Some tigers do not change their stripes, and it would be naive to think otherwise- but if you can capture a few turnarounds, the program would be well worth it IMO.

So how much taxpayer money are you willing to waste for a few turnarounds? That's the problem with the liberal mindset. The cost to make people feel good often outweighs the outcomes exponentially.

So how much taxpayer money are you willing to waste for a few turnarounds? That's the problem with the liberal mindset. The cost to make people feel good often outweighs the outcomes exponentially.

I would cite Tasker's point about offenders leaving only to be back in the system again, simple because the skills they have coming out are only conducive to hustling again. I am not suggesting that you offer the program to everyone in prison, but I have to believe there are offenders that fit a profile that makes them more likely to be chnaged by education programs. Plus there could be a way to earn/ pay back your degree by picking up extra work cleaning up bathroom, or painting prison walls, or cleaning up roads.. something...

It isn't just about feeling good, its about attempting programs that improve the goal of our prison system- rehabilitation... may it works maybe is doesn't, but that doesn't mean don't try.

Edited by B-Large