who thinks we will go OT in the 1st round

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would be happy if the Bills drafted one of the top three offensive tackles (Robinson, Mathews or Lewan). Should be ready to start at RT from day one and could slide over to LT if Glenn leaves the Bills in free agency in a couple of years.

I fully expect the bills to trade back from the 9th spot after watching the work out today. None of the TE's blew me away in the likes of say Vernon Davis. Trading back, we could and should probably look to get Matin or Su'a-Filo and then Morgan Moses.

Something to think about with the Byrd Contract. The "non-exclusive" tag is just that; other teams can negotiate long-term contract offers with the player until July 15. If the player signs one of these offers, his original club can either match that offer, or allow the player to leave for his new club—and be compensated with two first-round draft picks from the new club.

There are a lot of rumors and smoke screens running around, especially with Cleveland at this point. I have not really looked at this option more than the last 5 minutes due to some mention of the Browns being interested and the Bills not letting Byrd leave for free. The browns have 2 first round picks. Would it be crazy if the Bills used the non exclusive tag, and go both of the browns first round picks from this year? Or the 26th this year and a pick next year. Anyone sure how the first rounds are given in tag contracts? Is it first rounds as they stand? or can Cleveland and the Bills do something as follows:

Bills Tag(non-exclusive) Byrd

Cleveland makes and Offer and Byrd goes to the Browns - Bills Get 2 First round Draft Picks

Cleveland Trades back the #4 spot for another first round pick in the 2015 season with a team - ( have not really looked at who might want to jump up to 4)

Bills get 26 this year from the Browns + whatever #1 comes second in next years draft that the Browns pick up in the above trade OR Bills get 4+26 this year (I can dream)

I predict the Bills take TE Ebron. Ebron is like adding the big WR that we desperately need and a TE at the same time. Unless Clowney or Mack falls to us.

No question Ebron adds a dimension to the Bills Offense that is exciting to think about...

If the top 7 contains Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Clowney, Robinson, Mack, and Watkins...which I fully expect it will...That leaves 2 from Matthews, Ebron, and Lewan available at #9...The Bills will have a tough decision to make for certain... B-)

I fully expect the bills to trade back from the 9th spot after watching the work out today. None of the TE's blew me away in the likes of say Vernon Davis. Trading back, we could and should probably look to get Matin or Su'a-Filo and then Morgan Moses.

Something to think about with the Byrd Contract. The "non-exclusive" tag is just that; other teams can negotiate long-term contract offers with the player until July 15. If the player signs one of these offers, his original club can either match that offer, or allow the player to leave for his new club—and be compensated with two first-round draft picks from the new club.

There are a lot of rumors and smoke screens running around, especially with Cleveland at this point. I have not really looked at this option more than the last 5 minutes due to some mention of the Browns being interested and the Bills not letting Byrd leave for free. The browns have 2 first round picks. Would it be crazy if the Bills used the non exclusive tag, and go both of the browns first round picks from this year? Or the 26th this year and a pick next year. Anyone sure how the first rounds are given in tag contracts? Is it first rounds as they stand? or can Cleveland and the Bills do something as follows:

Bills Tag(non-exclusive) Byrd

Cleveland makes and Offer and Byrd goes to the Browns - Bills Get 2 First round Draft Picks

Cleveland Trades back the #4 spot for another first round pick in the 2015 season with a team - ( have not really looked at who might want to jump up to 4)

Bills get 26 this year from the Browns + whatever #1 comes second in next years draft that the Browns pick up in the above trade OR Bills get 4+26 this year (I can dream)

I can't imagine the Browns giving up a #1 for the right to pay Byrd $9 million per year...But here's to hoping... :thumbsup:

I think a 2nd is far more likely... B-)

I predict the Bills take TE Ebron. Ebron is like adding the big WR that we desperately need and a TE at the same time. Unless Clowney or Mack falls to us.

I am 100% in agreement with this. I believe Ebron will have an immediate impact and will help EJ out. But ya if either one of Clowney or Mack should fall to us then you take them and move on. One of those three guys will be there for us. I would rather take the talent there then trade down despite how well it worked out for us last year.

I was thinking OT for a while but that won't happen unless they trade down. There are too many QB's that will be drafted in the first 6 picks. That pushes all the other talent down. Watkins, Mack, or hell even Clowney may be there at # 9. That should give us ample opportunity to trade down. Once they have an additional second round pick then they can go BPA.

No question Ebron adds a dimension to the Bills Offense that is exciting to think about...

If the top 7 contains Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Clowney, Robinson, Mack, and Watkins...which I fully expect it will...That leaves 2 from Matthews, Ebron, and Lewan available at #9...The Bills will have a tough decision to make for certain... B-)

I can't imagine the Browns giving up a #1 for the right to pay Byrd $9 million per year...But here's to hoping... :thumbsup:

I think a 2nd is far more likely... B-)

The Byrd trade scenarios are very pie-in-the-sky. Someone on this board that has been very reliable with inside info related that the highest offer Buffalo got for Byrd last year was a 4th rounder.

Two 1sts? No flippin' way.

As a practical matter, very few teams would trade a high pick for a chance to pay a S $9M/year. Not when they see guys like Calvin Pryor available in the top 20 of this draft and a guy like Deonne Buchanon available in the 2nd round.

I don't like taking OTs that high.

I think this year is different though , any of the top 3 would be great but after listening to Lewan's interview i really like the kids attitude !

He said he would play any where, & that he plays through the whistle, which he added some people see that as him being dirty but he said he wants to put his opponent in the dirt every play & we need a bit of nasty on our O line !!

Plus he said his job is to give the RB's a place to run & the QB enough time to stand in the pocket & make his reads . So i hope we go O line in the first cause it all starts up front & any of the top 3 is fine !!

I think this year is different though , any of the top 3 would be great but after listening to Lewan's interview i really like the kids attitude !

He said he would play any where, & that he plays through the whistle, which he added some people see that as him being dirty but he said he wants to put his opponent in the dirt every play & we need a bit of nasty on our O line !!

Plus he said his job is to give the RB's a place to run & the QB enough time to stand in the pocket & make his reads . So i hope we go O line in the first cause it all starts up front & any of the top 3 is fine !!

There is definitely more than one way to approach this thing...And I'm uncertain whether or not one is better than the other...It all depends on how Whaley and Marrone want to build this Offense...I think one of these top OT's should be a big boost to the O-line which should result in a better running game and more time for EJ...I also think receivers like Evans or Ebron put pressure on defenses and cause match-up issues...It all depends on how they want to go about it...I'm on the record already that I'll be happy with Matthews, Lewan, Evans, or Ebron at #9 (I'm eliminating Watkins and Robinson because I believe there is zero chance they'll be around at #9)...I think they all bring a potential boost to the Offense...Albeit in different ways... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

There is definitely more than one way to approach this thing...And I'm uncertain whether or not one is better than the other...It all depends on how Whaley and Marrone want to build this Offense...I think one of these top OT's should be a big boost to the O-line which should result in a better running game and more time for EJ...I also think receivers like Evans or Ebron put pressure on defenses and cause match-up issues...It all depends on how they want to go about it...I'm on the record already that I'll be happy with Matthews, Lewan, Evans, or Ebron at #9...I think they all bring a potential boost to the Offense...Albeit in different ways... B-)

one reason I think they should go with OT, and the Oline strategy build in general, is to be able to handle the Jets' Dline, specifically Richardson and Wilkerson. They controlled the line of scrimmage in both games. The bills need to draft an elite OT to handle Richardson, and I'd love to see that matchup for years to come--Lewan v Richardson. Obviously, they need a big upgrade at LG as well.

My prediction......

1. Bills will find some value in free agency. Maybe one or two guys for depth. Can't even begin to guess what position.

2. Tackle or LB in 1st RD

3. Tackle or LB in second round.

4. Here is where the Bills start looking for a TE but probably go BPA at WR. Just don't see the Bills going TE in the 1st 2 rounds....ever.

5. Byrd signs a long term contract with the Bills. While everyone loves speculating about Byrd's unhappiness, not once have I seen him bash the Bills and his ties to this team I think are strong. Call me overoptimistic, but I think Byrd and the FO find a place where they both can get it done.

one reason I think they should go with OT, and the Oline strategy build in general, is to be able to handle the Jets' Dline, specifically Richardson and Wilkerson. They controlled the line of scrimmage in both games. The bills need to draft an elite OT to handle Richardson, and I'd love to see that matchup for years to come--Lewan v Richardson. Obviously, they need a big upgrade at LG as well.

It's a great point...Divisional match-ups are key...And I do agree with Marrone that the ability to run the ball when you want to run it, not necessarily (or only) when that is what the Defense is giving you, is key... B-)

It's funny how as the combine has gone on people are open to a lot more. I for one was not an Evans guy and I have seen a lot of him. With that being said he had a great day. I was good with Amaro in the 2nd and he looked terrible IMO. At the end of the day if the Bills get good football players that help the team who really cares what position they play? There are a variety of ways that they can go to improve this team. I fully expect them to go BPA at 9 (if they don't trade down).

It's funny how as the combine has gone on people are open to a lot more. I for one was not an Evans guy and I have seen a lot of him. With that being said he had a great day. I was good with Amaro in the 2nd and he looked terrible IMO. At the end of the day if the Bills get good football players that help the team who really cares what position they play? There are a variety of ways that they can go to improve this team. I fully expect them to go BPA at 9 (if they don't trade down).

I agree, but if you have 3 players all rated within 1 point of each other, you've got to go with who you think helps you the most. The Bills will be faced with a choice between some very good players at significantly different positions, but with grades that are insignificantly different. That's a good position to be in.

I agree, but if you have 3 players all rated within 1 point of each other, you've got to go with who you think helps you the most. The Bills will be faced with a choice between some very good players at significantly different positions, but with grades that are insignificantly different. That's a good position to be in.

Luckily, the overall talent on the roster is up. The tiebreaker should always be the position that you are weakest at if players are graded the same. If the Bills have another free agency & draft like last year this will be a good roster. They need to put it together but there seems to be a plan and light at the end of the tunnel which we couldn't say a few years back.

2014 NFL combine: Value of QBs in question as OTs are climbing

3. Predictable rise of offensive tackles:"There's just less questions about these guys than some of the other talent."

http://www.cbssports...ts-are-climbing

Yet, the odds say one of these 3 will be a bust.

But the way are you in favor of the Bills drafting an OT? :nana: