Jonathan Martin

johnwalter

215 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see 1BD acquire Jonathan Martin for the 2014 season?

• Yes, he is a good but inexpensive player that can fill a hole on the Bills roster.
    • No, the Bills have a strong locker room and Martin would put the team's chemistry at risk.

HELL NO.

Don't understand how a guy so physically tough can be such a weakling in life. The fact he didn't have the ability to address this issue head on should be troubling to any fan. Do you really want players walking on eggshells in fear of offending this cat?

Edited by Just in Atlanta

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not really in the crowd that thinks Martin should be here, but I'm floored by the group that thinks bringing in Incognito is a good option. I understand we need guards, but the Bills need outside distractions like they need another 6-10 season. You can draft and develop better players than Incognito if you look for them in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, you don't need to pay them veteran money, and you don't have ESPN and co. waiting for his next event.

The guy is a journeyman for a reason. He hasn't brought Miami any hardware and I don't think we should be picking up their garbage.

... Martin was not new to the football locker room scene. The guy probably has been playing football since he was a tyke. He has experienced the hazing, teasing, and homophobic comments before I am sure.

Not necessarily. His prep school is known for a very laid back and new age approach in its athletic programs. It was reported that coaches couldn't criticize players. Don't know how the Stanford locker room was, but guessing it wasn't the same as the stereotypical U locker room. I'm guessing Martin's stint in Miami was a bit of a culture shock. And it does raise questions of why Martin suddenly became the biggest victim of RI's harassment, when RI had sort of cleaned up his act over a decade.

I'm baffled by this thread.

First, let's forget the whole "incident" last year for a second. Martin was mostly terrible for dolphins, and was basically considered a bust by fins fans BEFORE the **** hit the fan. So no team should want this guy as a starter just from a talent perspective. He is NOT better than Pears.

Secondly, this guy is a spineless coward who certainly doesn't seem to have what it takes to fit into an NFL locker room. The fact that most of the Dolphins players backed Incognito in this whole thing suggests it was more than just "bullying", and that Martin may have been the real locker room distraction.

Thirdly, does he even want to play? Sounds like he might be looking to cash out and retire without having to play.

No thanks! I would like to see an upgraded RT via FA, but one that would actually help the team. Guys like Strief, Collins, and Howard will all be available, and would be very nice upgrades...Without the BS emotional issues.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

What ? Your statement is ridiculous. There is absolutely NO PLACE in any business for racial slurs. I'm sorry, I'm not playing the card, I'm saying if it exists as reported it is a serious issue. I don't know you and you don't know me, so, let's just agree that if RI was using race as a weapon against JM, there is no place for it in the NFL or any other place. I'll let you walk back your comments. OMG

What evidence supports your theory? And if you're using that voicemail you've already lost. But I'll wait.

I'm baffled by this thread.

First, let's forget the whole "incident" last year for a second. Martin was mostly terrible for dolphins, and was basically considered a bust by fins fans BEFORE the **** hit the fan. So no team should want this guy as a starter just from a talent perspective. He is NOT better than Pears.

Secondly, this guy is a spineless coward who certainly doesn't seem to have what it takes to fit into an NFL locker room. The fact that most of the Dolphins players backed Incognito in this whole thing suggests it was more than just "bullying", and that Martin may have been the real locker room distraction.

Thirdly, does he even want to play? Sounds like he might be looking to cash out and retire without having to play.

No thanks! I would like to see an upgraded RT via FA, but one that would actually help the team. Guys like Strief, Collins, and Howard will all be available, and would be very nice upgrades...Without the BS emotional issues.

That pretty well sums it up.

Edited by Rob's House

I'd leave well alone on both Martin and Incognito. On Martin it has nothing to do with him being "mentally weak", I don't believe he is.... it's because I don't think he is a very good offensive tackle. On Incognito it's because I don't trust him as a character one bit. The report will in all likelyhood finish him as an NFL player anyway. Make no mistake he has a hell of a lot of questions to answer.

What evidence supports your theory? And if you're using that voicemail you've already lost. But I'll wait.

That pretty well sums it up.

Jonathon Martin said RI used racial slurs. I said in my post "if" that is true there is no place in sports for it. I don't believe RI denied it. I'll wait and see what th NFL reports says. But, again, if they were used, in my opinion it's a game changer.

Jonathon Martin said RI used racial slurs. I said in my post "if" that is true there is no place in sports for it. I don't believe RI denied it. I'll wait and see what th NFL reports says. But, again, if they were used, in my opinion it's a game changer.

There's little doubt that Richie used racial slurs; it's been pretty well accepted.

No, it has absolutely no place in society at all...I don't, however, think that it absolves Martin from his apparent involvement in similarly-spirited banter.

There's little doubt that Richie used racial slurs; it's been pretty well accepted.

No, it has absolutely no place in society at all...I don't, however, think that it absolves Martin from his apparent involvement in similarly-spirited banter.

Agree, if JM did same to RI, he is equally disgusting.

Let alone "racial epitaphs"....

I don't get the support for Incognito, a known cancer on any team he played for, a lout and a sociopath. And it's not as if he's an elite player in any case.

The other thing I don't get is the faction around here that thinks "kicking ass" is the solution. Dudes, it's the 21st century; are we still solving our differences like cavemen? I'm all for standing up to bullies, especially when we're kids. But when grown men start throwing fists, that's called assault-and-battery and it's a felony, punishable by prison time. A part of me would love to see Incognito knocked on his ass. But then the rational part of my mind kicks in. It's one thing to defend yourself when you get braced in the street, but throwing your hands on the workplace? Seriously? That's an acceptable solution?

What ? Your statement is ridiculous. There is absolutely NO PLACE in any business for racial slurs. I'm sorry, I'm not playing the card, I'm saying if it exists as reported it is a serious issue. I don't know you and you don't know me, so, let's just agree that if RI was using race as a weapon against JM, there is no place for it in the NFL or any other place. I'll let you walk back your comments. OMG

get with times. Every rap song has the N word. Every one makes fun of the Jews and Hispanics. Everyone pretty much hates on everyone with the way they talk. It doesn't mean theyre racist. Ignorant maybe. For example I was at the store and two kids walking out. One texting not paying attention. The first kid let the door hit the texter in the face. Tester said "Nigga wtf watch the door". Neither were black. Not even white. Both were of Hispanic descent. Was that racist? Or was it just the use of a word like anyone else uses the word nerd, homo, punk, or ahole?

The race card being played on this shows the ignorance of the public who sucks off the MSM teet to ignorant to understand the reality of the world.

Hell, based on about 5 conversations I had this morning those texts would be on par with how I spoke with two coworkers this mornjng. Even in corporate worlds there is this type of banter. When you redefine it as homophobic and racial epitaths you make it sound like shock and awe when nothing more then just pickin.

Edited by jboyst62

I don't get the support for Incognito, a known cancer on any team he played for, a lout and a sociopath. And it's not as if he's an elite player in any case.

The other thing I don't get is the faction around here that thinks "kicking ass" is the solution. Dudes, it's the 21st century; are we still solving our differences like cavemen? I'm all for standing up to bullies, especially when we're kids. But when grown men start throwing fists, that's called assault-and-battery and it's a felony, punishable by prison time. A part of me would love to see Incognito knocked on his ass. But then the rational part of my mind kicks in. It's one thing to defend yourself when you get braced in the street, but throwing your hands on the workplace? Seriously? That's an acceptable solution?

I don't know many of us that have workplaces where our main objective is to physically maul people. That is what these guys are trained and paid millions to do. Especially OLinemen.

We want to see them act like cavemen and gladiators, we want to see them act like animals, they are trained and conditioned their entire lives to do so. And then we get upset when that carries over to off the field.

An NFL locker room is unlike any workplace anyone here has ever been in because they do a job unlike any we have ever had.

While I won't comment on the racial and homophobic slurs, I'd say physically standing up for himself is exactly what the rest of the locker room was looking for, and exactly what RI was trying to prod him into doing.

You and I both know that if there had been a locker room scuffle, no assault-and-battery charges would have been pressed by RI. It would have been handled in-house, and they probably would have been a stronger team for it.

The NFL locker room is way more like an 8th grade playground than it is your or my office. And in 8th grade, a lot of respect and friendships started after the two parties got into a fight.

get with times. Every rap song has the N word. Every one makes fun of the Jews and Hispanics. Everyone prettyuch hates on everyone with the way they talk. It doesn't mean their racist. Ignorant maybe. For example I was at the store and two kids walking out. One texting not paying attention. The first kid let the door hit the texter in the face. Tester said "Nigga wtf watch the door". Neither were black. Not even white. Both were of Hispanic descent. Was that racist? Or was it just the use of a word like anyone else uses the word nerd, homo, punk, or ahole?

The race card being played on this shows the ignorance of the public who sucks off the MSM teet to ignorant to understand the reality of the world.

Hell, based on about 5 conversations I had this morning those texts would be on par with how I spoke with two coworkers this mornjng. Even in corporate worlds there is this type of banter. When you redefine it as homophobic and racial epitaths you make it sound like shock and awe when nothing more then just pickin.

While I usually condemn racist and homophobic behavior, I agree with all of this. I really do not believe there was any true venom behind what was said between the two. It's just bustin balls and joshin. Taken to the extreme, but still just joshin.

besides the proven fact that racism was not a factor. Nor any other issues. Unless of course Martin was gay, the. The dynamic of the hophobia changes. Anyway, Martin is a softie and a just not a tough or strong dude. You can break some people physically. You can break some mentally. In this case it looks like Martin was getting broke both ways. On the field he was getting lit up. Off it he was getting rode down. Can't really approve of the whole locker room culture but I am not about to lamb broil Incognito. I would just cut my losses and move on. Let nature take its course. The dude is a jerk.

Can't really approve of the whole locker room culture but I am not about to lamb broil Incognito. I would just cut my losses and move on. Let nature take its course. The dude is a jerk.

Case closed. And I'd apply that thinking to both. Let the NFL move on from both of them.

Edited by DrDareustein

Or maybe the racial epitaphs were just two guys !@#$ing around. Must everything that touches the issue of race be disgusting and outrageous? Maybe we should all chill the !@#$ out.

I would never have raised this as an issue if Jonathon Martin himself didn't find it offensive, if Jonathon Martin said he and RI were just horsing around and giving each other crap, it wouldn't be an issue. I also get that for some people it's part of their normal everyday lives and it goes both ways and friends give each other crap and use terms that others could take out of context or that may be part of those individuals accepted norms and not ours. But, that is NOT what Jonathon Martin said happened. Again, more facts will come out, like the posting Bandit made on RI's lawyer. But, if an African American man is being slandered with racial epithets by a co-worker in this country against his will or wishes, that is a serious problem. I can't think of any workplace that would allow that. Again, I'm basing my post on the proverbial "IF" what Jonathon Martin said is true.

I don't know many of us that have workplaces where our main objective is to physically maul people. That is what these guys are trained and paid millions to do. Especially OLinemen.

The "mauling" is done to the other team, and done within rules, overseen by referees and league officials. It is NOT a dark alley situation.

We want to see them act like cavemen and gladiators, we want to see them act like animals, they are trained and conditioned their entire lives to do so. And then we get upset when that carries over to off the field.

Really? Cavemen, gladiators and animals? Obviously you and I have different enthusiasms when watching a game. And from my perspective, it seems as if the majority of linemen do not act like cavemen, gladiators and animals on the field, nor do they carry that viciousness with them off the field. That's what makes the Incognito/Martin situation stand out.

An NFL locker room is unlike any workplace anyone here has ever been in because they do a job unlike any we have ever had.

I once had a "job" back in the 60s with the Marine Corps. I've also played football and other sports. Ya know what? If you're ever given the choice between the two, take the locker room.

While I won't comment on the racial and homophobic slurs, I'd say physically standing up for himself is exactly what the rest of the locker room was looking for, and exactly what RI was trying to prod him into doing.

Huh? That's Incognito's job description? And the best way to accomplish his "mission" was racial and homophobic slurs? Threats of death?

You and I both know that if there had been a locker room scuffle, no assault-and-battery charges would have been pressed by RI. It would have been handled in-house, and they probably would have been a stronger team for it.

No I don't know that. In any case, this abiding concept among some people that the solution to a problem is violence is insane. It's the "Texas Daddy" approach where the bottom line is always "a boot in your ass." Besides, you push an introverted guy to the point where he does snap, there's a very good chance that things move way beyond a "scuffle."

The NFL locker room is way more like an 8th grade playground than it is your or my office. And in 8th grade, a lot of respect and friendships started after the two parties got into a fight.

I agree. But this wasn't an 8th grade playground. This was a situation between grown men. No one should have to endure that sort of toxic atmosphere on their job.

Or maybe the racial epitaphs were just two guys !@#$ing around. Must everything that touches the issue of race be disgusting and outrageous? Maybe we should all chill the !@#$ out.

But how will people fill their daily quota of outrage?

I heard a song on the radio this morning and a line that included the word 'hell' was edited out of the song. Thankfully, no one was offended.