Louis Delmas Cut...,

MattM

...in a cap move. Any chance he ends up back with Schwartz here? If so, good bye to Byrd? Personally, I may not have minded something like this if Byrd asked for too much and we were able to tag and trade him for a 2d before signing someone like Delmas--get a decent replacement, a draft pick and cap room to sign more decent players

...in a cap move. Any chance he ends up back with Schwartz here? If so, good bye to Byrd? Personally, I may not have minded something like this if Byrd asked for too much and we were able to tag and trade him for a 2d before signing someone like Delmas--get a decent replacement, a draft pick and cap room to sign more decent players

I don't know much about Delmas... is he really a decent replacement for Byrd?? Can't imagine he is as good if he was cut.

I don't know much about Delmas... is he really a decent replacement for Byrd?? Can't imagine he is as good if he was cut.

hes a respectable nfl player - but it saves them 6m and with the stafford/johnson/suh contracts they are in a tough spot. IF we were to lose byrd, we could do worse than delmas, but i would be disappointed if the plan was simply "cool lets let byrd walk and pick delmas up" instead of trying hard with JB.

hes a respectable nfl player - but it saves them 6m and with the stafford/johnson/suh contracts they are in a tough spot. IF we were to lose byrd, we could do worse than delmas, but i would be disappointed if the plan was simply "cool lets let byrd walk and pick delmas up" instead of trying hard with JB.

I agree--my ideal would be to either resign Byrd if he's asking for a reasonable contract and if he's not, then tag him, trade him for a decent pick and use the savings to pick up probably two decent (but not star quality) starters like a LG or LB. If we signed Delmas now, however, that really may tie our hands in trying to tag and trade Byrd, as potential trade partners would know we can't keep them both....

Byrd deserves to be one the highest paid safeties in the league. He plays on a losing team and has to pay the highest taxes in the country. If Buffalo wants to keep him theyre gonna have to pay. Delmas probably sucks I know the Lions had a terrible secondary

Need to move on Delmas fast. He is an FA now. Say bye bye Byrd. Hates it in B-lo. WILL hold out again and not learn new D unless he gets #1 saftey money. Delmas has 3 picks and 2 sacks last year, sounds good to me. Agree that we can't franchise Byrd if we pick up Delmas, we'd be lowballed to death.

Not to mention there are other teams like the Eagles that are in need of help at safety .

I hope we can resign Byrd but if it takes a while we might be on the outside looking in when it comes to signing some one like Delmas b/c he will be long gone by the time they figure the Byrd thing out .

But according to what Whaley has said he wouldn't rule out using the F tag on Byrd again so maybe he will be around another year ??

Willie Young could be good depth at DE

UM ----- OK ???

Delmas is very appealing for a few reasons.

First off, Delmas' production isn't that far off from Byrds.

He is 7 months younger than Byrd.

He won't cost as much as Byrd.

...and the most important reason is he is a very productive veteran who already knows Jim Schwartz system. Delmas can be a QB in the backfield and help the other safeties and corners learn Schwartz's system.

The fact that Byrd has issues with the Bills and how they handled his contract, and coming off of this past season he is going to be looking for as much (or more money) than he was last year.

Plus, Byrd's 8 mill cap hit in 2014 to be franchised is about half of what Delmas' cap hit will be on a 4-5 year deal.

This is about as close to a no-brainer as they come.

Edited by dezertbill

Delmas is very appealing for a few reasons.

First off, Delmas' production isn't that far off from Byrds.

He is 7 months younger than Byrd.

He won't cost as much as Byrd.

...and the most important reason is he is a very productive veteran who already knows Jim Schwartz system. Delmas can be a QB in the backfield and help the other safeties and corners learn Schwartz's system.

The fact that Byrd has issues with the Bills and how they handled his contract, and coming off of this past season he is going to be looking for as much (or more money) than he was last year.

Plus, Byrd's 8 mill cap hit in 2014 to be franchised is about half of what Delmas' cap hit will be on a 4-5 year deal.

This is about as close to a no-brainer as they come.

downside being his nagging knee issues that kept him out of games in 11 and 12 (and in 13 out of camp, and practice 2 days a week during the season but that seemed to help him start 16 games for the first time in his career), and that byrd is simply a better player (delmas has 6 ints, 2 ff, and 4 fr to byrds 22 ints, 11 ff, and 5 fr).

but delmas is a good plan B for all the reasons you mention.

Edited by NoSaint

downside being his nagging knee issues that kept him out of games in 11 and 12 (and in 13 out of camp, and practice 2 days a week during the season), and that byrd is simply a better player.

but delmas is a good plan B for all the reasons you mention.

Yeah but Delmas played in 16 games last year, starting 15. Byrd played in 11 and started 9.

Delmas has started atleast 15 games in 3 of the past 5 seasons. Byrd has started atleast 14 games in 3 of the past 5.

Kinda of a wash.

But I will say Byrd is more of a ball hawk. That is the only area that the Bills will suffer greatly

Edited by dezertbill

Yeah but Delmas played in 16 games last year, starting 15. Byrd played in 11 and started 9.

Delmas has started atleast 15 games in 3 of the past 5 seasons. Byrd has started atleast 14 games in 3 of the past 5.

Kinda of a wash.

But I will say Byrd is more of a ball hawk. That is the only area that the Bills will suffer greatly

this is the first time delmas played 16, and for byrd it was the first time since his rookie year he hasnt played 16.

byrds feet are a question mark, but generally speaking i take PF over delmas missing 13 games across 2 seasons with recurring knee injuries that require him missing significant practice time in a 3rd straight season.

Edited by NoSaint

From what I've been reading Lions fans didn't like him, thought he was overrated and over paid. There should be no plan B. If Byrd doesn't sign you franchise him again and develop Duke Williams to take over next year.

i can only hope that is feasible. nothing i have seen says thats even nearly possible . I will hope the coaches can get Duke ready to roll this season . And see what Meeks has to offer too.

Jim is gone . Searcy is an in the box guy . No byrd has to be addressed with conviction.

FA might be the way to go. just maybe not Delma?

The Tag is the only option . But that does not mean he will play football . so we are screwed .

If Delma can QB the defense you gotta take a closer look though. Thats a lot of value , like with that little and slow fellow Jim Leonhard last year.

Edited by 3rdand12

Not to mention there are other teams like the Eagles that are in need of help at safety .

I hope we can resign Byrd but if it takes a while we might be on the outside looking in when it comes to signing some one like Delmas b/c he will be long gone by the time they figure the Byrd thing out .

But according to what Whaley has said he wouldn't rule out using the F tag on Byrd again so maybe he will be around another year ??

UM ----- OK ???

Lol sorry to be random - he is also available from the Lions Edited by YoloinOhio

• 2 weeks later...