Louis Delmas Cut...,

MattM

I’d be surprised if we signed Delmas unless it’s to a really low deal. I think that the staff believes that even if we were to lose Byrd (which I hope does not happen but expect that it will) that the replacement is already on the roster. Right now, I believe that Aaron Williams would take over for Byrd at FS and Searcy would be the SS with Duke & Meeks as the backups. In this scenario, Leonard would probably be in the mix as well unless both Duke & Meeks make huge strides in year 2.

I just hope Delmas doesn’t sign some ridiculous contract since that will give Byrd’s camp more ammo to justify the price. I think we’d all agree that JB does deserve to make more than Delmas.

I’d be surprised if we signed Delmas unless it’s to a really low deal. I think that the staff believes that even if we were to lose Byrd (which I hope does not happen but expect that it will) that the replacement is already on the roster. Right now, I believe that Aaron Williams would take over for Byrd at FS and Searcy would be the SS with Duke & Meeks as the backups. In this scenario, Leonard would probably be in the mix as well unless both Duke & Meeks make huge strides in year 2.

I just hope Delmas doesn’t sign some ridiculous contract since that will give Byrd’s camp more ammo to justify the price. I think we’d all agree that JB does deserve to make more than Delmas.

It sounds to me from the various reports (not sure how much they actually know though) they would draft a safety. Depending on who that is, they could move AW to FS. Not sure there is much confidence in Searcy, Duke, or Meeks. To me, I don't understand how you could know about Duke or Meeks at this point though as they barely played and Meeks was on IR most of the year.

Delmas got cut while playing on a 2 year deal worth decently less in total dollars for two years than byrd will make under the tag this single year. The gap in pay between the two should be expected in the order of 200-300% on a per year basis, with delmas getting very little guaranteed or long term commitment.

i also do not think that the staff sees 2 starting safeties on the roster for 2014 if byrd walks, unless they bring someone in, based on comments they have made.

Delmas was released Feb 13 , Schwartz must not want him for some reason ?

Or it is too soon to sign him, as the Byrd deadline is Monday. Even then, they could get a deal done with Byrd by July. So makes more sense to plan on drafting a guy because you have 2 more months to figure out of you need one. Byrd could sign (or be traded) prior to draft day.