James Jones FA WR

simpleman

Looking for a FA veteran WR for the team. Without breaking the bank. Hopefully the off season can allow him to fully recover from his PCL sprain last season and return to somewhere near his game the year before. What are the views on James Jones? Would he be an upgrade over Stevie? How does he compare to our current group of WRs? I mentioned Decker in another thread and most felt he was going to be asking for too much. And if that was the case I would agree. I can not see paying much more for any reciever than we already are for Stevie this year.

http://www.rotoworld...242/james-jones

http://www.nfl.com/p...2507183/profile

Edited by simpleman

I've been on the bandwagon for James Jones for a couple of months now.

I understand that he's had a case of the drops recently, but I think his total production as an NFL WR is outstanding.

He'd give us a much needed veteran presence in the group we have and would be a viable weapon.

Jones easily has 4-5 more good years in him, and I think adding him in with Stevie, Woods & Goodwin would give us a strong unit.

I also don't believe that Jones would break the bank for the Bills.

I know a lot of people want to draft a WR, and while the thought of drafting Sammy Watkins is very tempting, I would much rather have a proven NFL WR who can make an impact right now, instead of a rookie going through NFL growing pains.

Just curious...does EVERY free agent WR have to have their own thread made for them? Why not do it by position, and discuss each positional free agent within said thread?

Not trying to be a jerk, it just seems to be a bit much...by March there will be 100 individual threads discussing players at the same position.

It is much easier to compare and contrast the potential contributions of James Jones, Kenny Britt and Eric Decker, amongst others...within one combined "FA WR's" thread.

Edited by Bob Malooga

The problem with the Bills receiving corps is lack of a dominate receiver not a lack of pretty good receivers - the bills have a little bit of everything ,speed (Marquise Goodwin, T.J. Graham) pretty good all-rounders (Stevie Johnson, Robert Woods) they even have size ( Ramses Barden 6,6 226, Brandon Kaufman 6,5 215, Chris Summers 6,5 215, Cordell Roberson 6,4 205 and Kevin Elliott 6,3 205) - what the Bills lack is a 6,3+ guy who is also a 4.3 guy who also can run a route, track a ball and make a catch.

Any WR that is using their performance while having, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Drew Brees as their QB should automatically have their stats cut in half relative to other WRs. It's a completely different universe.

:flirt:

yep. just about 50 % by my reckoning.

Bills need a line and to stabilze what they have before they draft a rec at 9.. The TE situation is another story.But I seem to get WR and TE mixed up lately :doh:

Just curious...does EVERY free agent WR have to have their own thread made for them? Why not do it by position, and discuss each positional free agent within said thread?

Not trying to be a jerk, it just seems to be a bit much...by March there will be 100 individual threads discussing players at the same position.

It is much easier to compare and contrast the potential contributions of James Jones, Kenny Britt and Eric Decker, amongst others...within one combined "FA WR's" thread.

Personally I would rather have 100 focused threads that properly discuss the merits of the individual player than on one unmanageable 40 page thread that degenerates into a dozen meandering ADD discussions. Then again I am not one of the generation that claims they can multitask 20 things at once and ends up doing all 20 things badly. Notice how one contribution already was not about the merits of a free agent, but about the merits of choosing a FA over drafting a player to fill a position. Not at all what this thread was about.

Edited by simpleman

I've been on the bandwagon for James Jones for a couple of months now.

I understand that he's had a case of the drops recently, but I think his total production as an NFL WR is outstanding.

He'd give us a much needed veteran presence in the group we have and would be a viable weapon.

Jones easily has 4-5 more good years in him, and I think adding him in with Stevie, Woods & Goodwin would give us a strong unit.

I also don't believe that Jones would break the bank for the Bills.

I know a lot of people want to draft a WR, and while the thought of drafting Sammy Watkins is very tempting, I would much rather have a proven NFL WR who can make an impact right now, instead of a rookie going through NFL growing pains.

For all the talk of analytics and value, I would think that players like Jones would be exactly the type of players Bills management would be looking at the virtues of right now. I don't think Jones would break any banks.

Edited by simpleman

For all the talk of analytics and value, I would think that players like Jones would be exactly the type of players Bills management would be looking at the virtues of right now. I don't think Jones would break any banks.

How much do you think he'd command to come to buffalo and not play with Aaron Rodgers?

Any WR that is using their performance while having, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Drew Brees as their QB should automatically have their stats cut in half relative to other WRs. It's a completely different universe.

Buffalo is where receivers fade into obscurity.

The Bills need a qb before worrying about who'll catch the ball. The Pats make nobodies look like pro receivers. It's the guy throwing the rock.

no qb, no bueno.

How much do you think he'd command to come to buffalo and not play with Aaron Rodgers?

We are not talking about him as a number 1 receiver. He is a hopefully reliable Vet presence with our rookies growing around him. He still has a few years left, but this is his last real contract. He tried to go for his payday 3 years ago and found out he would not command big bucks even at his peak. He made 3 Million + last year. And GB will not offer him anywhere near that this year. I can't imagine anyone offering him more than 3 Million a year anymore. I see him going for much less. What do others think he will sign for, even away from teams with a great QB?

We have Stevie for a veteran presence for now we just need to get another BIG young receiver like M. Evans or (if he's there) a Sammy Watkins that won't break the bank for 4 or 5 years until the Bills FO can get rid of most all the dead money issues on the cap .

We may need to bring in some vets but i don't think WR is one area that is in need of that veteran presence it is already there !!

Personally I would rather have 100 focused threads that properly discuss the merits of the individual player than on one unmanageable 40 page thread that degenerates into a dozen meandering ADD discussions. Then again I am not one of the generation that claims they can multitask 20 things at once and ends up doing all 20 things badly. Notice how one contribution already was not about the merits of a free agent, but about the merits of choosing a FA over drafting a player to fill a position. Not at all what this thread was about.

Fair enough.

With that, I will say I would much rather take a chance on Kenny Britt...someone who has put up decent numbers without an elite QB.

Plus, James Jones is no bigger than Stevie Johnson, Robert Woods, Marcus Easley...and I think Kevin Elliott could develop into a James Jones-type, plus he is bigger than Jones. Something tells me they really like Kevin Elliott, due to hanging onto him the entire season, instead of releasing him on an injury settlement. I like his prospects...

Elliott has been turning heads on the practice field with his play, but he's also dating one of Taylor's sisters.

"I know Kevin pretty well. He's a big kid, strong, really physical, getting better in his development as a receiver, strong hands, catching the ball, real soft, he's a big kid and can establish position pretty well," Taylor said about Elliott. "His deal is special teams. He was a special teams guru back in school, so he has to show up on the special teams tape and that will afford him time to make the team as a receiver. He's been pretty solid so far I think."

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2012/8/8/3228438/kevin-elliot-jaguars-depth-chart-fred-taylor

Positive: Adequately sized possession receiver who also helps out as a downfield blocker and special teams player. Gives effort running routes, comes back to the ball out of breaks and lays out or extends to make receptions. Makes the catch with defenders draped on him. Offers the quarterback a big target. Solid downfield blocker who seals running lanes for the ballcarrier.

Negative: One-speed receiver who lacks a burst. Average production on the small school level.

Analysis: Elliott was consistent on the college field but never an outstanding player. He does the little things well, offers reliable hands and can play special teams, which could help him secure a roster spot as a fifth receiver.

http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2012/WR/Kevin-Elliott

Talented wide receiver prospect who caught 43 passes for 560 yards and eight touchdowns as a junior last season. He also plays basketball and runs track.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=2561924

He sounds to me a lot like who James Jones was when he came into the league, a #5 WR who could dominate on ST's. (And, again...he is bigger than Jones.)

Edited by Bob Malooga