Michael Sam is out.

agardin

As a Roman Catholic (former altar boy, Jesuit educated), I don't get where religion makes some people so closed minded. My understanding of religion is to treat everyone with respect and live your life the best you can. Jesus stood with the people who were discriminated with the most.

Some people use religion as a way to oppress others. How is commending another person's sexuality different than Muslims oppressing women? People just need to worry about their own lives.

I too have the resume of being a former alter boy and Jesuit educated.

...and I concur with your sentiments completely.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does he have a tattoo? Does he eat shrimp cocktail?

PTR

He also plants different crops in the same field and wears fabric made of two types of thread. Finding reasons to hate someone based on a loose collection of 2,000 year old stories is fun! Wheee!!!

As a Roman Catholic (former altar boy, Jesuit educated), I don't get where religion makes some people so closed minded. My understanding of religion is to treat everyone with respect and live your life the best you can. Jesus stood with the people who were discriminated with the most.

Some people use religion as a way to oppress others. How is commending another person's sexuality different than Muslims oppressing women? People just need to worry about their own lives.

Same here. I never got that either. This wasn't an issue when I was growing up (at least not in the public domain), so maybe things would have been different, but I remember being taught the opposite. Love your neighbor as yourself.

Religion, I do believe, is a very good thing. But like anything else when taken to the extreme it can be bad. I also believe that 99% (meaning the vast majority, not an actual stat) of religious (all religions) people are good people. But the 1% get the attention and generalizations are made. It's unfortunate but not surprising.

Edited by dubs

I feel really dumb for getting into that conversation now I know who I was dealing with. Sorry folks! I'll go back to never posting! Ha ha.

There is nothing wrong with getting in a conversation about things. I think healthy discussion about topics is a good thing. To be honest, I was actually intrigued by reading some opposing views. I think it only helps everyone better understand all the angles about an issue.

But, the downside is when you get into a conversation with someone who's dug in and has no desire to learn, but rather would like to preach. You also run the risk of it devolving into name-calling or insulting.

I feel really dumb for getting into that conversation now I know who I was dealing with. Sorry folks! I'll go back to never posting! Ha ha.

There is nothing wrong with getting in a conversation about things. I think healthy discussion about topics is a good thing. To be honest, I was actually intrigued by reading some opposing views. I think it only helps everyone better understand all the angles about an issue.

But, the downside is when you get into a conversation with someone who's dug in and has no desire to learn, but rather would like to preach. You also run the risk of it devolving into name-calling or insulting.

Wow. What did I miss? Looks like a the server crashed halfway down page 16.

Please stop replying to posts that you know will be deleted. You're doubling our work, we have to delete the original and any posts that quote it. Give a mod a break.

I can just picture people sitting around saying "You hate gays? Well, I hate mods. Let's do this..."

I believe homosexuality is both by choice and from birth. Let me explain. You're not actually gay until you have sex with somebody from the same sex. For example, a person with homicidal thoughts isn't a murderer until he kills someone. Make sense?

I believe homosexuality is both by choice and from birth. Let me explain. You're not actually gay until you have sex with somebody from the same sex. For example, a person with homicidal thoughts isn't a murderer until he kills someone. Make sense?

So by that logic, you're not actually straight?

jauronimo wins the thread.

stallworth with a pretty good take on this: http://www.huffingto...kusaolp00000009

Nice, me and Donte are on the same page. I said upthread, if any organization could handle the media circus, or not really let the media circus get going in the first place, it's the Pats. Say what you will about that team, but they are very good at remaining tight-lipped, and on message.

Edited by jimmyo

So by that logic, you're not actually straight?

Ba....BOOOOOMM!!

Nice, me and Donte are on the same page. I said upthread, if any organization could handle the media circus, or not really let the media circus get going in the first place, it's the Pats. Say what you will about that team, but they are very good at remaining tight-lipped, and on message.

Well, if there is one place better to avoid the national press than Buffalo, I can't think of it.

None.

....being gay is being sexually attracted to someone of the same sex. It's not actually having sex. By your thought process virgins don't have a sexual orientation

I believe what consenting individuals do is their personal business, as it is mine. It is not our place to make judgement on what others do , but to do the best we each can do, at best our lives in action encouragement for others not what we say but what we do. It is obvious knowingly or unknowing, we have had gay teachers, nurses, professional people trades people, acquaintances , fellow workers/employees be part of our lives, at no time have I asked another individual this personal part of their lives. As for far to long it was commented when a black was afforded the same opportunity as anyone else , in sport, vocational career or otherwise , today thankfully it is the norm and not so exceptional to deserve comment, hopefully this will be true with those of different personal life choices of this nature. Am somewhat disappointed had thought this was amongst most not a issue to be considered as in not being a big deal. Hopefully this man will not go through his entire career with the first gay attached to everything he may or may not accomplish in football. In short when I am watching a game hardly am I considering the participants personal relationships . I do not see as of any import what I think is right or wrong my place on this issue for me to impose judgement .

Edited by millbank

Makes no sense, huh? Okay then, I've gotta question for you guys, do you believe God punishes us for our thoughts or our actions?

God is a relentless road grader who punishes people for no better reason than his own amusement.

Unfortunately for us that is a good and sufficient reason.

There is no getting away from him. He's too good. You can't beat him.

So just draft him at 9 already.

Dorkington –

Tim, sexuality is not really black or white, and not easily definable, in reality.

Society likes to have nice neat labels for people to fall into, but things like the Kinsey scale are probably more accurate

Agreed, and that’s all I’ve been really trying to convey, among other things, that drive by onlookers are so quick to judge on both sides of the debate. I would warn a little though about using Kinsey as a reliable source for discussions revolving around sexuality. He’s generally considered sort of a quack, and his scales have been shown to be inaccurate by contemporary measures, not to mention some of his ideas on sexuality as it were. That said, he did have some intriguing posits on sex and sexuality and still worth reading about for anyone looking at the history of the issue.

The point I initially raised about humans having a primarily heterosexual potential at birth though coincides, or is at least not refuted by anything anyone else has presented thus far, nor any scientist research that I’ve ever read on the subject. Granted it is a hypothesis of mine, I like to think of it as a well-reasoned one, but none the less one that is at the moment not testable. Point being that I do not believe hat there is a homosexual, or bi-sexual, or any sexual or sexuality gene. We are who we are based on our experiences and our experiences train us to fall into one, two or three or any number of sexual attractive markers, and these markers are all primarily set prior to the maturation of our brains wiring, namely the prefrontal cortex.

Regards,

Tim-

Dorkington –

Agreed, and that’s all I’ve been really trying to convey, among other things, that drive by onlookers are so quick to judge on both sides of the debate. I would warn a little though about using Kinsey as a reliable source for discussions revolving around sexuality. He’s generally considered sort of a quack, and his scales have been shown to be inaccurate by contemporary measures, not to mention some of his ideas on sexuality as it were. That said, he did have some intriguing posits on sex and sexuality and still worth reading about for anyone looking at the history of the issue.

The point I initially raised about humans having a primarily heterosexual potential at birth though coincides, or is at least not refuted by anything anyone else has presented thus far, nor any scientist research that I’ve ever read on the subject. Granted it is a hypothesis of mine, I like to think of it as a well-reasoned one, but none the less one that is at the moment not testable. Point being that I do not believe hat there is a homosexual, or bi-sexual, or any sexual or sexuality gene. We are who we are based on our experiences and our experiences train us to fall into one, two or three or any number of sexual attractive markers, and these markers are all primarily set prior to the maturation of our brains wiring, namely the prefrontal cortex.

Regards,

Tim-

Ah the irony of you having a hypothesis that cannot be tested. The same person who questions the methodology of psychological research.

Tim, sexuality is not really black or white, and not easily definable, in reality.

Society likes to have nice neat labels for people to fall into, but things like the Kinsey scale are probably more accurate.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Kinsey_scale

That was made up by commies to once again co-opt something that has nothing to do with politics and make it a commie thing.