Michael Sam is out.

agardin

I agree with all you have put here , but the note of "not parading it & not putting it in peoples faces" & more so the "what ever that means " comment i don't get ?

My reason is because by him coming out as publicly as he has this will be the biggest , most talked about , & probably most published story for the next year so, how can we even think that this will not be paraded & put in peoples faces ?

Sure it's not Sams doing, & yes he is as you said being honest but it has become pretty clear (& if i am wrong i'm sure some one will say so) & i will take the criticism but there seems to be some type of possible agenda here what ever it may be .

I think if your not trying to draw attention to your self then you do your thing & don't announce it unless you are trying to draw attention or want people to know, especially in such a high profile sport as the NFL .

Also the timing leading up to the draft (personal opinion which ain't worth nothin !!) just says HEY LOOK AT ME !!!

I think (presuming) as straight people we're not really tuned to the situation because it isn't ours. We don't walk down the hall with people whispering behind our backs or making jokes about that aspect of our lives; we don't think about how certain kinds of demeanors will be scrutinzed to the nth degree in hiring processes or in forming friendships.

If (as is being suggested) he was about to be outed by someone else, or even if not and he was just going to be subject to these whispers and rumors on a grand stage over a career, the only thing to do is be honest about it. I suppose the other thing he could do is wait until someone asks, but now he won't be asked by draft scouts and he can essentially draw the boundaries about what is fair to ask.

I don't know what else he could do besides stay closeted and hence open to suspicion - valid or not - or to just be who he is.

Note that no one asks any straight person to never talk about their wife, girlfriend, etc. What Sam might also be doing is giving a rounder picture of the gay person / athlete as having more of an identity than whom and how they sleep with.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this thread makes it pretty clear which posters have actually spent time with homosexuals and those who think they exist somewhere in the shadows.

But back to the topic, what !@#$ing sucks about this is that it WILL be an issue and it WILL affect his draft status. Why? Because of the 11 year old gossip queens we call the "media,"

Those !@#$ing vultures will be camped out at training camp, they'll be trying to weasel a first hand expose of the dating life of a gay NFL player, they'll be EVERYWHERE they need to be to cover the sex life of a 22 year old who's just trying to get his career off the ground

And guess what--THAT distraction more so than homophobia, religious bigotry (sorry, calls them likes I see them) or any other clubhouse disruption will be what teams will be looking to avoid...at Sam's expense and at the expense of his professional career.

Or not. May be some team will embrace the circus. Either way, !@#$ the media, cover something that matters.

Don't you think that is part of the reason that he is coming out this early? So that the media clowd kind of blows over?

Just thinking out loud, when do they pick a team for hard knocks?

He shouldn't be permitted to shower with his teammates or even change in the same lockeroom. Do you think male coaches shower with WNBA athletes? If I were in an all female shower I would be taking peeks every chance I got. I'd try to conceal it as best I can, but I'd still do it.

He should also accept the fact that slurs will be said from time to time and he shouldn't take it personal. His teammates should try to minimize that as much as possible, but you can't expect the vast majority to change for the minority.

He should also avoid patting teammates on the rear end. I'm sure you guys don't go around patting women on their butts at the work place, right?

Other than that he should be treated equally. Lol

In all seriousness this is one brave individual and I wouldn't mind him being a Bill.

The world ain't all rainbows and sunshine fellas. A lot of churchgoing African Americans are not "down" with the gay cause.

It is what it is, and you have heard quotes from players in the past like the 49ers cb who said something along the line of. Oh hell no, no gay dudes up in hea or something similarly intolerant.

The it's not a big deal crowd is wrong. Not a big deal in your household maybe, but is gonna be to some locker rooms.

Not everyone is a super tolerant, bravo watching, npr listening hipster. It's a big world, ya can't speak for everyone.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

He shouldn't be permitted to shower with his teammates or even change in the same lockeroom. Do you think male coaches shower with WNBA athletes? If I were in an all female shower I would be taking peeks every chance I got. I'd try to conceal it as best I can, but I'd still do it.

He should also accept the fact that slurs will be said from time to time and he shouldn't take it personal. His teammates should try to minimize that as much as possible, but you can't expect the vast majority to change for the minority.

He should also avoid patting teammates on the rear end. I'm sure you guys don't go around patting women on their butts at the work place, right?

Other than that he should be treated equally. Lol

In all seriousness this is one brave individual and I wouldn't mind him being a Bill.

I was reading through this and was like this is so stupid. Very nice though haha

Edited by Numark

I used to be a member at a competitive Power Lifting gym--there was a competitor that was openly gay.

Some guys had issues with walking around naked in the locker room/showers when he was there--it was quite the minority of folks though.

The guy used to crack me up though...he once told me: "what I find funny is that some of y'all are cool with a straight dude looking at your junk, but you'd get all uncomfortable if I did it".

The world ain't all rainbows and sunshine fellas. A lot of churchgoing African Americans are not "down" with the gay cause.

It is what it is, and you have heard quotes from players in the past like the 49ers cb who said something along the line of. Oh hell no, no gay dudes up in hea or something similarly intolerant.

The it's not a big deal crowd is wrong. Not a big deal in your household maybe, but is gonna be to some locker rooms.

Not everyone is a super tolerant, bravo watching, npr listening hipster. It's a big world, ya can't speak for everyone.

I think that for the most part people are making it clear (here) that they are speaking for themselves.

I was reading through this and was like this is so stupid. Very nice though haha

I respect MS for coming out now for many reasons, but above all else for his timing. He's giving teams a choice. I believe NFL locker-rooms will be very accepting of him and he will be treated as an equal. Everyone learned a lesson from the whole Martin/Incognito fiasco, too, so that helps.

The fans, on the other hand, will be tough on him. Brady isn't even gay and ppl around here call him Marsha.

I respect MS for coming out now for many reasons, but above all else for his timing. He's giving teams a choice. I believe NFL locker-rooms will be very accepting of him and he will be treated as an equal. Everyone learned a lesson from the whole Martin/Incognito fiasco, too, so that helps.

The fans, on the other hand, will be tough on him. Brady isn't even gay and ppl around here call him Marsha.

It'll just be one arrow in the quiver of insults that fans of opposing teams pull out for everybody. As long as he is liked by his own fanbase - as Brady generally is - I doubt it'll be significantly different.

By being born ? He is a distraction to opposing teams qb's.

I can just see it now, Brady is trying to hit his receiver, Sam is coming after him, and in mid-rotation Brady gets an image in his mind a la Homer Simpson and "Stupid, Sexy Flanders." Sam sacks / strips the ball and Kiko runs it back for 6.

We could deal with this, no?

I don't think it does anything to his draft stock. I just hope he doesn't end up on a crazy team like Miami, NYJ etc.

I do wonder if he had a good relationship with Sheldon Richardson? Richardson obviously established him self in the NFL. He played side by side with Sam at Mizzou.

Edited by BillsInMaine