Pettine has officially signed on as coach of the Browns

cale

I'm choosing to look at this as a positive. The longer Pettine was here, the longer Marrone could hide his own ineptitude and hold this team back. In my opinion, with our small market status and unwillingness to spend to the cap, we need to have a sharp head coach and Marrone is far from that. I think this move will facilitate a change in head coach faster. Just have to hope that the FO hits on that position next time.

My philosophy to the T

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pettine was not planning to be in Buffalo for a long haul. He was looking forward to being HC. The man proved himself as a DC and to be named a HC in an offense oriented league reflects well on him. I wish him well. On to the DC search by those on TBD.

This sucks. No hard feelings toward Pettine, but why can't we have nice things? This does not make me hopeful for the future. And FU, Browns. You guys are the laughingstock of the NFL. Why not hire a DC from, I dunno, a GOOD team? Maybe like Seattle or San Francisco? Ugh.

So what should I be hoping for now? Internal promotion (probably the LB coach that Pettine wants as his DC), or external? Could Wade Phillips be in the mix, or is Ralph still upset about having to pay him after firing him for insubordination?

The Bills will be ok. Henderson might be the in house hire. If Marrone brings in a guy from the outside, the new DC might have some guys he will want to bring along. O'Neil (LB coach) is rumored to be the lead candidate for Cleveland's DC position. The Bills might have a 3 or 4 new coaches on Defense next season.

Are we gonna suck again because of the Browns?? Seems by the end of this, our whole defensive staff will be a "rebuilding project" next year. I dont feel good about any of this. If there is no improvement next year on either side of the ball, I say let the whole coaching staff move to Cleveland. I dont know if Doug Whaley had anything to do with the personnel on defense. Seems to me we drafted and signed FAs for Pettines scheme.

I found it interesting that Pettine said he won't engage in cronyism-- i.e., just hire his friends. I wonder if this is a lesson learned through the Crossman debacle:

On hiring assistants: Pettine said he might retain some of the current Browns assistant and that he won't fill his staff with previous colleagues. “I have a lot of coaches that I’m close with and I’ve worked with but I don’t want to build for lack of a better phrase ‘a good old boys club,''' he said. "A lot of coaches hire people that they are friends with or go way back with, and sometimes those relationships are great and for those reasons they work well together. I’m not insecure enough that is an issue for me. When you hire a great coach and do a background on a coach and you find he has great character and is passionate and is all about winning. When you put coaches in a room like that they’re going to bond. I think the staff will have those (coaches) that I’ve had connections with, but I’m not looking for someone to go to lunch with. It’s going to be all about winning.”

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/browns_coach_mike_pettine_on_q.html

I found it interesting that Pettine said he won't engage in cronyism-- i.e., just hire his friends. I wonder if this is a lesson learned through the Crossman debacle:

On hiring assistants: Pettine said he might retain some of the current Browns assistant and that he won't fill his staff with previous colleagues. “I have a lot of coaches that I’m close with and I’ve worked with but I don’t want to build for lack of a better phrase ‘a good old boys club,''' he said. "A lot of coaches hire people that they are friends with or go way back with, and sometimes those relationships are great and for those reasons they work well together. I’m not insecure enough that is an issue for me. When you hire a great coach and do a background on a coach and you find he has great character and is passionate and is all about winning. When you put coaches in a room like that they’re going to bond. I think the staff will have those (coaches) that I’ve had connections with, but I’m not looking for someone to go to lunch with. It’s going to be all about winning.”

http://www.cleveland...ttine_on_q.html

Unlike Marrone I like to hear Pettine talk.

Good stuff there JR.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/browns_coach_mike_pettine_on_q.html

Yet his first call was to McNeill

Yet his first call was to McNeill

if looking for the best available option to run his scheme, oneill might be that guy and not just a friend. for instance, im far more frustrated with the crossman hire than hackett as atleast hackett makes sense that he would be well versed and trusted in marrones scheme, while crossman seems to simply be a friend that coaches special teams.

Edited by NoSaint

It's funny-- reading all the stuff Pettine has been saying, I thought the same thing. Not to diss Marrone, but Pettine comes across a lot better. If I were a Browns' fan, I would be really excited.

We got the short end of the stick here, I wouldn't be shocked if the Browns are better than us this coming year and our D goes down a notch or two. At this point if we win 4-5 games I think Whaley and Russ have no choice to fire Marrone and staff because I feel like the fans have had enough and we all have a much shorter fuse. I am in no way remotely optimistic for next season after this and with our schedule of AFC West teams and NFC North, while not great are probably better than us other than maybe the Vikings.

It's funny-- reading all the stuff Pettine has been saying, I thought the same thing. Not to diss Marrone, but Pettine comes across a lot better. If I were a Browns' fan, I would be really excited.

Really??? I like Pettine but he was like their 12th choice. his defense got beat up by Brandon Weeden, who they are trying to run out of town. And for some reason here, people act like he was Helen Keller (a miracle worker). Kyle Williams and Jairus Byrd were pro bowlers. Mario Williams has the biggest defensive contract in NFL history. Dareus went #3. McKelvin and Gilmore are top 11 picks. Aaron Wiliams and Kiko were 2nd rounders. And Lawson and Hughes were former 1st rounders. We were loaded with defensive talent.

I wish Pettine well and kudos for him for taking advantage of the situation in Buffalo. But this was a great situation for him. And why folks care so much about coaches' press conferences is beyond me. Belichick makes Dick Jauron sound exciting but his team wins. IMO, the less a coach says in a PC, the better.

We got the short end of the stick here, I wouldn't be shocked if the Browns are better than us this coming year and our D goes down a notch or two. At this point if we win 4-5 games I think Whaley and Russ have no choice to fire Marrone and staff because I feel like the fans have had enough and we all have a much shorter fuse. I am in no way remotely optimistic for next season after this and with our schedule of AFC West teams and NFC North, while not great are probably better than us other than maybe the Vikings.

:death:

Really??? I like Pettine but he was like their 12th choice. his defense got beat up by Brandon Weeden, who they are trying to run out of town. And for some reason here, people act like he was Helen Keller (a miracle worker). Kyle Williams and Jairus Byrd were pro bowlers. Mario Williams has the biggest defensive contract in NFL history. Dareus went #3. McKelvin and Gilmore are top 11 picks. Aaron Wiliams and Kiko were 2nd rounders. And Lawson and Hughes were former 1st rounders. We were loaded with defensive talent.

I wish Pettine well and kudos for him for taking advantage of the situation in Buffalo. But this was a great situation for him. And why folks care so much about coaches' press conferences is beyond me. Belichick makes Dick Jauron sound exciting but his team wins. IMO, the less a coach says in a PC, the better.

I suppose we can debate whether Pettine was a good coach or not (though I would suspect you are in the minority in thinking that he wasn't a miracle worker).

But, my point was that I was just really impressed with what he said at his press conference and how he is going to approach things. It instilled a lot of confidence that he has a strong vision, is knowledgable, and knows how to run a team. I was impressed.

I suppose we can debate whether Pettine was a good coach or not (though I would suspect you are in the minority in thinking that he wasn't a miracle worker).

But, my point was that I was just really impressed with what he said at his press conference and how he is going to approach things. It instilled a lot of confidence that he has a strong vision, is knowledgable, and knows how to run a team. I was impressed.

Right, but the point being made is that he said he wouldn't be hiring friends but calls O'Neil? Bit of a contradiction, no? Surely they are friends being that he brought him to Buffalo.

I was too. The interesting thing related to the Bills in that press conference is that he credited Marrone for teaching him non-football related things.

Right, but the point being made is that he said he wouldn't be hiring friends but calls O'Neil? Bit of a contradiction, no? Surely they are friends being that he brought him to Buffalo.

We don't know whether they are "friends", we do know they are very familiar with each others work and have had a lot of success working together.

Marrone admitted Crossman was his friend.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I was too. The interesting thing related to the Bills in that press conference is that he credited Marrone for teaching him non-football related things.

We don't know they are "friends", just they have worked together with a lot of success in the past.

Marrone admitted Crossman was his friend.

Hahahahahaha

just because he has a professional relationship (or personal) doesnt mean he cant be the right fit for the job. Especially in the DC role for a defensive minded HC. odds are the best fit would have professional ties to him, unless he is planning to give the coordinator complete autonomy to run any scheme they want. odds are though, youd want someone that can execute your vision best and someone thats worked to help build that vision would obviously have a huge advantage. its not like he said he wouldnt hire anyone he knows or likes.

http://www.cleveland...ttine_on_q.html

What else would he say... I'm going to get rid of everyone here and hire guys I know? He still needs to sit down with all of them and figure it out which I am sure he is doing as we speak.Their defesne was better than ours last year, correct? SOME continuity on the team would be helpful. And the Bills aren't going to let anyone go BUT O'Neil. So who else is out there that is going to make a lateral move to the Browns at this point in the off-season? He really is stuck with what he has and O'Neil unless there is someone on the street he wants. He needs a whole staff, not just a DC. Edited by YoloinOhio