USA's snowiest colleges - W/CNY owns top 3 spots

JÂy RÛßeÒ

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think oswego is too close to the lake to get any accumulation...the snow blows right over oswego to places a bit further away...windy as hell but the snow doesn't land there

Thought for sure SUNY Oswego would be up there.

i know wikipedia isn't the 'right' answer but this is pretty accurate, cooperstown may be a stretch, but the rest is pretty spot on

Cayuga CountyAuburn Cortland CountyCortland Herkimer CountyLittle Falls Madison CountyOneida Oneida CountyRome, Sherrill (smallest city in New York) and Utica Onondaga CountySyracuse (largest city in the region) Oswego CountyFulton and Oswego Tompkins CountyIthaca Otsego CountyCooperstown

Yeah it is definitely 315 so I guess that's Central. Sorry.

i think oswego is too close to the lake to get any accumulation...the snow blows right over oswego to places a bit further away...windy as hell but the snow doesn't land there

Oswego doesn't get the amount of snow that areas on the east side of Ontario get (i.e., Pulaski, Watertown), however, they definitely get there fair share of lake effect. During my grad school years, Oswego had storms with accumulation surpassing 7 feet over several days. I can remember one winter in particular, when campus workers had to set up different colored ropes which lead you to different buildings around campus. It was really snowing too hard to find your way around. Crazy.

Thought for sure SUNY Oswego would be up there.

Same. I was there for my Freshman year in '06/'07 and in February of '07 we dealt with the biggest snow event I've ever been around. Well over 100 inches in about a week. School closed the whole time. Crazy lake effect band that just sat over the county just under Lake Ontario and didn't move. It was a great week. The only real challenge - aside from digging cars out and, ya know, other snow things - was how to get to the store for beer runs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/12/nyregion/12snow.html?_r=0

Check the link again you drunkin' nuts... Syracuse got bumped to #2 - and TIED with SUNY Oswego.

Put THAT in yer pipe and smoke it.

Or for youse drunks, pip THAT in yer sipe and poke it.

Yeah, that is what I thought... Way too heavy on the eastern colleges! The UP of Michigan gets Lake Effect from almost all wind directions, especially The Keweenaw (the school in Houghton).

Rochester should be @ least bumped to 4th... What about Lake Superior State University in Sault Ste. Marie? The Soo gets about a 120 inches a year on average... Almost coming close to bumping off Syracuse/SUNY Oswego.

The list @ the link could be better researched.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I can accept Oswego as cny

I can't accept Oswego as the same location as Syracuse. I wouldn't call it CNY as it is generally refered to as the north country but they have it lumped with Syracuse as the location. It is at least a 45 minute drive from Syracuse to Oswego!

Check the link again you drunkin' nuts... Syracuse got bumped to #2 - and TIED with SUNY Oswego.

Put THAT in yer pipe and smoke it.

Or for youse drunks, pip THAT in yer sipe and poke it.

Yeah they edited that in. I couldn't believe Oswego wasn't on the list and have to believe someone pointed out the error. In an accumulation rating what are the chance that 2 places tie? Slim to none? For my money Oswego/Fulton gets more snow than Syracuse (but it seems very difficult to find stats to back it up)