I love watching Lil Donte Whitner get exposed

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what i find ironic, is that often the people that are most vocal about byrd not being that good or that hes not worth the money are the same ones that will come out to blast whitner for being terrible. truth is, whitner is a good not great nfl starter, and likely of the quality we would hope to get if we didnt have byrd back there (i know SS vs FS, but im simply discussing talent level).

puts into perspective perhaps how nice it is to have byrd around when you see the troubles that even a quality starting nfl safety will have in their game.

(my disclaimer, i dont mind whitner the player, have no hard feelings over his draft position, but dont much like him as a person)

Edited by NoSaint

Yeah and I'm glad that we don't have Marshawn to fumble on the goal line!! Come on people, seriously?!? We watched 2 former Bills 1st round picks, that have both been to the Pro Bowl since leaving, that ranked in the top 100 NFL players (I believe) battling for a conference title. Do you know what we got in return for them? Tank Carder and Chris Hairston is the answer.

I would trade Carder and Hairston for Lynch and Whitner any day of the week. Check the sour grapes at the door and move on.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

My only complaint about Whitner when he was with the Bills was, he never wrapped up tackles. He always tried to knock people down with his shoulders or helmet, and he missed tackles and gave up extra YAC as a result. When I see the 49ers play now, he's doing the same thing. I guess that's how he was taught to play.

Textbook jealosy thread. Donte Whitner is a good football player. I'll take Harbaugh's word over the blackbirds in this thread.

I am not sure the Niners really are happy with Whitner. I think they were looking to upgrade the position last offseason, but didn't find anyone better.

Here are some analytics to just hammer home the point of how poor Whitner has been for them. The bottom line is that even though Whitner's role is to play in-the-box, he does a poor job of actually making plays in the run game. There are links in the article to other articles that show his poor play in coverage, as well:

http://www.bayareasp...ge-last-season/

Edit: here is the coverage article on him:

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/49ers-secondary-was-primary-reason-for-playoff-collapse/

Despite what you’re inclined to believe due to his Pro Bowl selection, Whitner wasn’t very good this year. Pro Football Focus rated Whitner as 53rd best safety in football and 68th best in coverage.

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

Yeah and I'm glad that we don't have Marshawn to fumble on the goal line!! Come on people, seriously?!? We watched 2 former Bills 1st round picks, that have both been to the Pro Bowl since leaving, that ranked in the top 100 NFL players (I believe) battling for a conference title. Do you know what we got in return for them? Tank Carder and Chris Hairston is the answer.

I would trade Carder and Hairston for Lynch and Whitner any day of the week. Check the sour grapes at the door and move on.

I would not take Lynch back. People complain about Spiller, but he's still a 5.1 YPC back. Fred Jackson is the better overall player, and Spiller has far more potential than Lynch. Do we really long for the days of 3.8-4.1 yards per carry from our RBs? Lynch's 4.2 career YPC says all you need to know about him.

The current 1-2 punch the Bills have is just about as efficient as you can get for a stable of backs.

Oh, and Whitner? Aaron Williams is better.

Despite what you’re inclined to believe due to his Pro Bowl selection, Whitner wasn’t very good this year. Pro Football Focus rated Whitner as 53rd best safety in football and 68th best in coverage.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good crusade against the Bills. The Bills suck so everything you say about their decisions is automatically true.

Lets just remember that Whitner left as an UFA..so technically we could not get anything in return. Just like Houston got nothign for former #1, #1 Mario Williams.

And also , remember ole Donte was hard pressed to find a job back then...he got $2.5 guaranteed..not exactly a number that says the 49ers were convinced he was the long term answer.

Be interesting to see what the 49ers offer him this year as he is a UFA..and stilll fairly young at 28

I would not take Lynch back. People complain about Spiller, but he's still a 5.1 YPC back. Fred Jackson is the better overall player, and Spiller has far more potential than Lynch. Do we really long for the days of 3.8-4.1 yards per carry from our RBs? Lynch's 4.2 career YPC says all you need to know about him.

The current 1-2 punch the Bills have is just about as efficient as you can get for a stable of backs.

Oh, and Whitner? Aaron Williams is better.

You could have used the spiller pick on Dez Bryant or Anthony Davis (realistically) and Aaron Williams pick on Kaepernick. You created holes by getting rid of those guys.

You could have used the spiller pick on Dez Bryant or Anthony Davis (realistically) and Aaron Williams pick on Kaepernick. You created holes by getting rid of those guys.

Kaepernick has yet to show that he's even a good player. If you contain him in the pocket he's at his absolute worst. Also, I don't think Dez Bryant would even be good in Buffalo. Half the reason he's even in the NFL is because Jerry Jones spends a lot of money making sure Bryant is controlled off the field. I honestly don't think he would have near the support structure that he has in Dallas if he were here.

Lynch created his own hole here. We drafted Spiller because of how awful Marshawn was in 2009. As far as Whitner goes, he was always an average player. Look no further than Seattle to see what two very good safeties can do.

Kaepernick has yet to show that he's even a good player. If you contain him in the pocket he's at his absolute worst. Also, I don't think Dez Bryant would even be good in Buffalo. Half the reason he's even in the NFL is because Jerry Jones spends a lot of money making sure Bryant is controlled off the field. I honestly don't think he would have near the support structure that he has in Dallas if he were here.

Lynch created his own hole here. We drafted Spiller because of how awful Marshawn was in 2009. As far as Whitner goes, he was always an average player. Look no further than Seattle to see what two very good safeties can do.

So just to be clear you would rather Spiller and Aaron Williams than Lynch, Bryant, Kaepernick and Whitner?

I am not saying that Whitner is anything more than an average player but still...

Kaepernick is 1,000,000 x better than what we have at QB.

So just to be clear you would rather Spiller and Aaron Williams than Lynch, Bryant, Kaepernick and Whitner?

I am not saying that Whitner is anything more than an average player but still...

Kaepernick is 1,000,000 x better than what we have at QB.

If you can't throw from the pocket you're not a good QB. It's as simple as that. Would I take Kaepernick? Yes, but I'd still be trying to replace him. He has to improve his throwing drastically or he'll end up as an IR causality. Am I trying to replace Aaron Williams? No.

Would I take Dez Bryant? No, because I don't think Ralph is the type of guy to hire handlers to follow him around all the time.

I wouldn't take Lynch either because Fred Jackson is the better overall player.

The Bills need a classic pocket passer in the 2nd-4th rounds this year. Not another guy who can run the ball but struggles when he has to stand tall in the pocket.

If you can't throw from the pocket you're not a good QB. It's as simple as that. Would I take Kaepernick? Yes, but I'd still be trying to replace him. He has to improve his throwing drastically or he'll end up as an IR causality. Am I trying to replace Aaron Williams? No.

Agreed....people are overrating Kap. Great runner, average passer. If Manning or Romo had 3 turnovers in the 4Q of a conference championship game loss, we'd be talking about nothing else today.

Would I take Dez Bryant? No, because I don't think Ralph is the type of guy to hire handlers to follow him around all the time.

I wouldn't take Lynch either because Fred Jackson is the better overall player.

The Bills need a classic pocket passer in the 2nd-4th rounds this year. Not another guy who can run the ball but struggles when he has to stand tall in the pocket.

So you would rather Spiller & Aaron Williams (2 players I like) over Lynch, Whitner, Dez and Kaepernick? I'm sorry but that's a no brainer. Good teams do not give up on talent; they develop it.

Agreed....people are overrating Kap. Great runner, average passer. If Manning or Romo had 3 turnovers in the 4Q of a conference championship game loss, we'd be talking about nothing else today.

Not saying that Kaep is great but he is about a top 15 QB. We currently have about a top 27 QB.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Not saying that Kaep is great but he is about a top 15 QB. We currently have about a top 27 QB.

id say currently we dont know what we have. honestly, the one thing EJ and CK both had in common is that they were projects. CK had a lot of time to sit and learn in a good situation, while EJ had to play hurt right out of the gates. tough spot for comparing the two right now.

Watched the replay 5 times this morning. The Seahawk's lineup with 3 WRs on the right and a TE on the left of their formation, all 3 run a vertical. The TE stays in to block. SF appears to be in a 1 safety high look, Whitner is playing the deep middle. Regardless Seattle's Baldwin is the closest WR to the middle of the formation, he easily beats his man and Whitner adjusts his coverage to take the pass away from over the top, Wilson makes a great throw to the 2nd WR, not the man Whitner was helping cover. Watch it for yourself. Tell me what I am missing?

We are the team who made the mistake drafting him that high, what would you do if you were him in that position? Say, 'no, I suck, take me later."

I LOVE this logic. Would have never thought of that until reading this board about Whitner. Not my fault I was drafted this high.....classic. Using this, no player is ever a flop, just drafted too high :blink::wallbash:

He didn't play well today. Had a 15 yard penalty against him on a shot to the head.

Brutally bad call by the ref