henry generating a lot of talk around the nfl

eball

miami, tampa, now arizona...i realize it's just buzz at this point, but who else thinks TD may really be able to pull off a trade that gives the bills another 2nd round pick? if he can do it, it will be one of his best moves as GM. with two #2s, buffalo can find two "immediate impact" players in the draft.

i hate to get too excited about the prospects, but it's looking better and better that it will happen.

I have a better idea:

Trade Travis to the Buc's for Chris Simms.... that way we'd get national coverage from Phil! :huh:<_<

Rigas/Adelphia YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Add the Raiders and Panthers into the mix. That's 5 teams, all of whom play in warm weather and on grass, just like Travis wants. That will make a trade easier in terms of not having to worry about nixing the deal. I still say TB is the best option, because it's a situation Travis wants and because the Bucs are out of the division and have a 2nd rounder.

miami, tampa, now arizona...i realize it's just buzz at this point, but who else thinks TD may really be able to pull off a trade that gives the bills another 2nd round pick?  if he can do it, it will be one of his best moves as GM.  with two #2s, buffalo can find two "immediate impact" players in the draft.

i hate to get too excited about the prospects, but it's looking better and better that it will happen.

212009[/snapback]

I've never understood why people here were scoffing at the idea of getting a #2 pick for Travis. Round 2 picks are no where near sure things (and we as Bills fans should know that by now). So why wouldn't teams start lining up for a deal that would get them a proven runningback that runs like a bull, has a chip on his shoulder and costs dirt cheap.

I've never understood why people here were scoffing at the idea of getting a #2 pick for Travis. Round 2 picks are no where near sure things (and we as Bills fans should know that by now). So why wouldn't teams start lining up for a deal that would get them a proven runningback that runs like a bull, has a chip on his shoulder and costs dirt cheap.

212114[/snapback]

1) He cannot/will not block.

2) He cant even figure out simple pass patterns.

3) He has been known to cough up the football.

4) No breakaway speed.

5) Headcase, or at the very least severely intellectually challenged.

6) Terrible season in 05 where he had the job and lost it due to poor play.

7) Bad hands.

8) New habit of slipping on his ass on key plays, in front of truck sized holes.

9) RBs tend to NOT be the hardest players to find in the draft.

10) Superior free agent rbs out there.

Does this help? <_<

4) No breakaway speed.

7) Bad hands.

8) New habit of slipping on his ass on key plays, in front of truck sized holes.

Does this help?  <_<

212122[/snapback]

1) He cannot/will not block. ...not a factor for a team without a statue QB

2) He cant even figure out simple pass patterns. ...he's a runningback

3) He has been known to cough up the football. ...that was now 3 years ago

4) No breakaway speed....he breaks heads not speed.

5) Headcase, or at the very least severely intellectually challenged. ...he plays in the NFL, duh

6) Terrible season in 05 where he had the job and lost it due to poor play. ...lost it to a betterback, good point though.

7) Bad hands. ...he's a runningback

8) New habit of slipping on his ass on key plays, in front of truck sized holes. ...see #6

9) RBs tend to NOT be the hardest players to find in the draft. ...then why are there so many teams looking for starting backs?

10) Superior free agent rbs out there. ...true, but look at Henry's salary cap hit for 2006.

We'll find out shortly which one of us is right.

5) Headcase, or at the very least severely intellectually challenged. ...he plays in the NFL, duh

6) Terrible season in 05 where he had the job and lost it due to poor play. ...lost it to a betterback, good point though.

8) New habit of slipping on his ass on key plays, in front of truck sized holes. ...see #6

9) RBs tend to NOT be the hardest players to find in the draft. ...then why are there so many teams looking for starting backs?

10) Superior free agent rbs out there. ...true, but look at Henry's salary cap hit for 2006.

212136[/snapback]

Believe me, I hope it is you that is correct. Call me shallow, but I would love to see the Bills get something that could get us back into round 1 on draft day, but I just dont see it. :devil:

Travis Henry is not a Dennis Green-type back.  Green goes for the more explosive play-makers at the skill positions.  I don't see Green giving up a 2nd rounder for Travis.

212299[/snapback]

green's guys are people like robert smith and michael bennett. he's not going to give up anything higher than a 3rd for henry, and i doubt any other team will either.

Robert Smith explosive?

212302[/snapback]

extremely explosive - in his prime, he was one of the fastest running backs in the league, a guy who took it to the house with some frequency. as you may recall, he outran the entire bills defense on opening day in 97 when running for a 78 yard TD.

4) No breakaway speed.

7) Bad hands.

Does this help?  :devil:

212122[/snapback]

has severals children with multiple women and game checks garnished accordingly!!

Robert Smith explosive?

212302[/snapback]

My recollection of Smith is that he was a real burner and a threat to take it all the way on any play. His issue was that for most of his career he seemed to have a season-ending injury every year.

But yeah, Smith was not primarily a power runner.

>>1) He cannot/will not block. ...not a factor for a team without a statue QB

Right, other teams in the NFL don't even bother blocking pass rushers from positions other than the OLine because their QBs are so fleet of foot!

>>2) He cant even figure out simple pass patterns. ...he's a runningback

Oh yeah, I forgot that other teams don't bother throwing the ball to anyone who doesn't wear a jersey in the 80s.

>>3) He has been known to cough up the football. ...that was now 3 years ago

And of course other teams don't mind that Henry has the CAREER worst fumbles to touches ratio among all active feature backs, about one fumble every 37 carries, putting him "ahead" of even the Ahman Greens and Tiki Barbers.

FYI- the great backs like Curtis Martin lose the ball at a rate more like every 75 carries.

>>1) He cannot/will not block. ...not a factor for a team without a statue QB

Right, other teams in the NFL don't even bother blocking pass rushers from positions other than the OLine because their QBs are so fleet of foot!

>>2) He cant even figure out simple pass patterns. ...he's a runningback

Oh yeah, I forgot that other teams don't bother throwing the ball to anyone who doesn't wear a jersy in the 80s.

>>3) He has been known to cough up the football. ...that was now 3 years ago

And of course other teams don't mind that Henry has the CAREER worst fumbles to touches ratio among all active feature backs, about one fumble every 36 carries, putting him "ahead" of even the Ahman Greens and Tiki Barbers.

FYI- the great backs like Curtis Martin lose the ball at a rate more like every 70 carries.

212407[/snapback]

I think the Bills will get a 2nd round pick for Henry. I'm confused why you're arguing that Henry isn't an elite back like the Martin. I know this. The whole point was to reason why a team would want Henry for a 2nd round pick. I'm not sure you fully got this concept. Dillon was traded for a 2nd round pick because he was seen as washed up and a mental case. If he were being traded today it would be for a 1st rounder. Time will tell who's right.

I think the Bills will get a 2nd round pick for Henry. I'm confused why you're arguing that Henry isn't an elite back like the Martin. I know this. The whole point was to reason why a team would want Henry for a 2nd round pick. I'm not sure you fully got this concept. Dillon was traded for a 2nd round pick because he was seen as washed up and a mental case. If he were being traded today it would be for a 1st rounder. Time will tell who's right.

212443[/snapback]

I agree with you there's a chance to get a 2nd for him also, he has value to teams who can don't need a receiving option as a primary skill of their #1 RB and where reliability holding onto the ball isn't paramount. I've been saying since the middle of the '04 season that Denny Green in Arizona was one of the three or four best fits for Travis in the NFL, and a #2 from them is not out of the question. What we can hope for is that they salivate over the yardage stats and ignore the intangibles, something Denny Green has a LONG track record of doing.

And as far as Martin is concerned, Larry Holmes once made a comment about Rocky Marciano that is more applicable in the Martin/Henry comparison than it was in the original.

#1, 2 and 7) You still need a running back to be a good blocker and good at catching passes.

#9 and 10) Your either going to pay him like a free agent and extend his contract in which case you've now given up a draft pick for essentially the same as signing a free agent. In that case may as well sign the free agent and not lose any picks. Or you don't resign him, then Henry is a bargin at $1.25 mil. However, you've now given up a draft pick for a guy who might only be with you for one season.

#4) You are right, he does break heads alot, Trouble is often it's his own.

Another thing not even on the list is, he tends to be injured alot which is due to the style of play he brings to the game. Not knocking him for this, but it's just a fact of life. People have applauded him for playing hurt and beign a "tough" player. The other side of that is, if he weren't willing to play hurt, he likely wouldn't be playing at all cause he is always hurt.

He also is somewhat of a head case, with suspect charactor issues and questionable intellegents. He signed an extention two years back cause he was flat broke. That doesn't help him much when trying to prove he's a stable person.

I hope you're right, and they get a second rounder, but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

212136[/snapback]

Early in his career in Buffalo, he had fumble problems, but those went down tremendously each season. I think he deserved more after what he did last year. The guy is going to be a stud wherever he goes.

212473[/snapback]

Actually, in '03 he led all NFL running backs with over 300 carries in fumbles to carry ratio. The simple fact is he doesn't hold the football well and has shown no sign that he ever will.

Early in his career in Buffalo, he had fumble problems, but those went down tremendously each season. I think he deserved more after what he did last year. The guy is going to be a stud wherever he goes.

212473[/snapback]

In other words, lock up your daughters.

4) No breakaway speed.

7) Bad hands.

Does this help?  :devil:

212122[/snapback]

I think this is a good summary BINYC. I would add that the league seems to be evolving towards favoring multidimensional players (who in order to provide more than one dimension have to have a decent head on their shoulders). Henry does not play special teams nor would he be any use as a third down back. I still think the compensation for him is going to be a fifth/conditional fourth.

Bledsoe was sacked as many times in the 4 games (19, 0-4) that Henry started than the 12 (19, 9-3) that McGahee started.

link

That's going to show up on the film evaluators use to look at Henry, as well as his "performance" in that regard in 2002 and 2003.

I think this is a good summary BINYC. I would add that the league seems to be evolving towards favoring multidimensional players (who in order to provide more than one dimension have to have a decent head on their shoulders). Henry does not play special teams nor would he be any use as a third down back. I still think the compensation for him is going to be a fifth/conditional fourth.

The asking price for Henry is a 2nd round pick. TD will not trade him for anything less. With 5 teams interested and knowing TD's trade terms and that he doesn't need to trade Henry, I'd be willing to bet he gets a 2nd rounder for Henry at least.

Bledsoe was sacked as many times in the 4 games (19, 0-4) that Henry started than the 12 (19, 9-3) that McGahee started.

link

That's going to show up on the film evaluators use to look at Henry, as well as his "performance" in that regard in 2002 and 2003.

212585[/snapback]

Your Travis Henry evaluation is absurd. Donahoe has even gone on record that he isn't "giving" him away. This means he's either getting fair value (4th or 5th round is laughable) or he's going to keep him. Not every NFL team throws to it's runningback or are looking for multi-dimensional players for that matter. The Bills don't even throw to their runningbacks. :D

Your Travis Henry evaluation is absurd. Donahoe has even gone on record that he isn't "giving" him away. This means he's either getting fair value (4th or 5th round is laughable) or he's going to keep him. Not every NFL team throws to it's runningback or are looking for multi-dimensional players for that matter. The Bills don't even throw to their runningbacks. :D

212834[/snapback]

It would make zero sense for Donahoe to go on record and say "we're giving him away." His job as a GM is to build up Henry as much as he can now so that he can get the best possible players on his franchise. I wouldn't read anything into that.

He might agree with your assessment that a fifth round pick is not enough, but I don't see the Bills getting any offers beyond a fifth/fourth conditional. There are severe fundamental flaws in Travis Henry's game and plenty of other ways to address the running back position.

You can set any price you want, but it means nothing unless you have a buyer. If the price is firmly a second round pick, I suspect he stays on the shelf through 2005. Bully to TD if he can convince someone otherwise, but I know if I were a GM I wouldn't trade for Henry under any circumstances.

It would make zero sense for Donahoe to go on record and say "we're giving him away." His job as a GM is to build up Henry as much as he can now so that he can get the best possible players on his franchise. I wouldn't read anything into that.

He might agree with your assessment that a fifth round pick is not enough, but I don't see the Bills getting any offers beyond a fifth/fourth conditional. There are severe fundamental flaws in Travis Henry's game and plenty of other ways to address the running back position.

You can set any price you want, but it means nothing unless you have a buyer. If the price is firmly a second round pick, I suspect he stays on the shelf through 2005.  Bully to TD if he can convince someone otherwise, but I know if I were a GM I wouldn't trade for Henry under any circumstances.

As of right now, there are 5 GM's who WOULD trade for Travis, and would probably be tripping over themselves to get him for a high 3rd round pick. But TD has made it known that he wants a 2nd rounder. For a young RB who's been to the Pro Bowl and put up excellent numbers and played hurt, and who still has potential to improve in certain areas, a 2nd rounder is a good deal.

miami, tampa, now arizona...i realize it's just buzz at this point, but who else thinks TD may really be able to pull off a trade that gives the bills another 2nd round pick?  if he can do it, it will be one of his best moves as GM.  with two #2s, buffalo can find two "immediate impact" players in the draft.

212009[/snapback]

If we get a 2nd we should package both for a 1st.

As of right now, there are 5 GM's who WOULD trade for Travis, and would probably be tripping over themselves to get him for a high 3rd round pick. 

It's speculation on your part. You have no idea how interested any NFL GM is interested in Travis Henry.

Just because you post it 100 times or USE CAPS isn't going to make it more or less true. :D

It's speculation on your part. You have no idea how interested any NFL GM is interested in Travis Henry.

Just because you post it 100 times or USE CAPS isn't going to make it more or less true.  :D

Here ya go:

Cardinals | Interested in Henry - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:22:26 -0800

Rick Stroud and Roger Mills, of the St. Petersburg Times, report the Arizona Cardinals have expressed interest in trading for Buffalo Bills RB Travis Henry.

Panthers | Interested in Henry - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:21:25 -0800

Rick Stroud and Roger Mills, of the St. Petersburg Times, report the Carolina Panthers have expressed interest in trading for Buffalo Bills RB Travis Henry.

Buccaneers | Interested in Henry - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:19:53 -0800

Rick Stroud and Roger Mills, of the St. Petersburg Times, report the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have expressed interest in trading for Buffalo Bills RB Travis Henry.

Couldn't find the ones about Miami and Arizona, but we all know they're interested.

Here ya go:

Couldn't find the ones about Miami and Arizona, but we all know they're interested.

212971[/snapback]

You posted it for Arizona.

Cardinals | Interested in Henry - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:22:26 -0800

Rick Stroud and Roger Mills, of the St. Petersburg Times, report the Arizona Cardinals have expressed interest in trading for Buffalo Bills RB Travis Henry.

Do you mean Oakland? If not you need to have your eyes examined. Or possibly something else.

Just because you post it 100 times or USE CAPS isn't going to make it more or less true.  :D

212957[/snapback]

You also have no idea what Henry's worth in a trade may or may not be. Neither do I. Neither do any of us. Its ALL speculation at this point.

You also have no idea what Henry's worth in a trade may or may not be.  Neither do I.  Neither do any of us.  Its ALL speculation at this point.

212988[/snapback]

Of course. I'm only expressing my opinion of what he is going to be worth, but I'm not attempting to speak for GM's supposedly "kicking themselves" to get this player.

Note that there is no place where the one source says what these teams are willing to trade for him. Perhaps they wish to offer a fifth round pick, which is what I'm suggesting he'll go for.

I just think that some posters are basing Henry's value on some evaluation like this - "if we can just get the other GMs to look at 2002 and 2003 while ignoring the fumbles and his blocking and the fact that he was benched this year and the fact that as soon as he was benched the Bills' started winning and if they never look at film..." This is Alice in Wonderland stuff.