My pre-combine draft thoughts, how about yours

simpleman

Unless Manziel magically falls to us at 9, which now that Mariota is out is quite unrealistic. I’m not anywhere near sold that EJ is a Franchise QB, if Manziel was there I would take him. Otherwise, if McCarron, Boyd or Murray are still there in the 3rd, select the best QB to challenge EJ. I think any of the three have almost as much potential as EJ had last year when he was drafted.

Offensive line is glaring weakness, and as much as I like Mack at LB, we have too many needs, and need the extra picks. There is a lot of excellent OL line talent this year that would go lower than he will, without a huge drop in potential return to the team. And 2nd round LB, and talent in general is again excellent this year.

Trade back, picking up another 2nd round pick and maybe even another 3rd or 4th, depending on the position of the pick.

In the 1st Select:

Antonio Richardson, OT

“a massive offensive tackle with the ability to re-route pass rushers and be a road-grader in the ground game”

Or if he is gone, Taylor Lewan, OT

“lateral agility and balance in his kick-slide to maintain the edge, while also possessing the strength to lock up his opponent”

Select in the 2nd:

Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE 2nd. Not a burner for speed, but we have Goodwin for that. Big and reliable, with good hands and that big target we need in the middle. This negates the need for the pick of the big WR early, letting us get one in the 3rd or 4th.

Shayne Skov, ILB 2nd. Shift Kiko to OLB where he is well suited and let Skov cover the middle and the run.

If we don’t select a QB in the 3rd. Select a big WR in the 3rd. Or in the 4th. To fill the hole that Da’ Rick might have filled.

Fill up on OL potential and needs using the rest of the picks.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go ahead and predict, even at this super early stage, that the Bills will take either WR Mike Evans or TE Eric Ebron at #9...Assuming of course they have good workouts, interviews, etc...

I'm also assuming Watkins will be gone by #9 and that the Bills can get Benjamin in a trade down if they wish...

I think one of those two is coming to Buffalo if they stay at #9 though...Probably Evans... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Before you start scheming, remember; 1. Haiston has been out a whole year with an undisclosed illness. We have no indication that he's coming back. 2. Manzel is likely gone to Cleveland who has scouted him extensively. 3. Lewan has short arms but could make a nice RT in the pros. I like his meaness. 4. You need a trading partner to make a trade. One player that could be there at 9, and lusted after by some team that picks after us is WR Sammy Watkins from Clemson. Watch him tonight. 5. I live in Tennessee, have watched a lot of Vols games, and Antonio Richardson has never stood out to me. I have no idea why some think he's a high draft pick. Is it possible you're thinking of Cyril Richardson, the 340 LB guard from Baylor?? That Richardson has been called the best offensive lineman in the country. Although Baylor lost to Central Florida, I watched Richardson and was impressed by his stength and quickness. In my dreams I see him along side 345 LB Cordy Glenn mauling defensive lines. Another player that has impressed me is Zack Martin, the LT from Notre Dame. Martin would make an excellent RT for us.

Please remember that on this date last year most of the major sports media publications had Geno Smith projected to go number 1 overall. Several also had Matt Barkley and Tyler Wilson (!) going in the top 15. You could look it up. We really don't know much at this point.

I really hope we don't waste the 9th overall pick on Mike Evans.

I honestly see Evans comparing to David Nelson in the NFL, though Nelson probably runs a lot more polished routes. I think Evans only has been playing football for 3 years. Not really a guy I would think you would roll the dice on so high.

There is zero chance of the Bills taking a QB at 9...ZERO. Why don't ppl understand this

I am all for taking an OT at 9 or WR Evans

Any team taking Manziel in the top 10 is going to regret it but I don't see it happening and think once scouts get a look at him at the combine that his stock will start falling. He is a playmaker no doubt but don't think he is an NFL starting QB

Edited by Max997

My buddy is a Browns fan. He seems to think the Browns will have to trade up from No. 4 to get Manziel (or potentially Bortles). We could see the top-3 QB's go off the board at 1,2 and 3.

That would be crazy. Especially since lately the narrative seems to have changed to none of them being the "sure things" they were declared to be prior to the year.

That would be crazy. Especially since lately the narrative seems to have changed to none of them being the "sure things" they were declared to be prior to the year.

You could be right. But, as I am sure you know, everything is going to shake out in the last 4-5 weeks leading up to the draft. Remember when Philip Rivers was a nobody, and then ended up being a top-5. Crazy stuff happens with QB's.

I have seen a lot of Evans. At first I was really high on him because of his size but the more I watch him I have no idea how he will get seperation in the NFL. If they want a WR, Watkins is the guy. He is a complete WR and a sure fire stud IMO. I still think that Mack is the pick if he is still there (but I doubt he will be).

I think that Mack is the 2nd defensive player off the board behind only Clowney. I think that he will end up ahead of Barr as he is a much more complete and consistent player.

I the Bill stay at 9 I am saying Mack or Watkins. If they move around all bets are off.

My buddy is a Browns fan. He seems to think the Browns will have to trade up from No. 4 to get Manziel (or potentially Bortles). We could see the top-3 QB's go off the board at 1,2 and 3.

I don't know about Bortles and Bridgewater, but I am guessing that Manziel goes in the top three. I know people are going to raise questions about his size and style of play, but he's just going to be too tempting for these QB-starved teams to pass up. I see Manziel as being similar to Cam Newton when he was coming out of Auburn; both had (have) serious question marks, but the overall talent at such a critical position is just too great too pass up, not to mention that both were highly successful at the highest level of college competition.