Eagles Bringing In Competition for Foles

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a good QB, yet still bringing in talent in order to have a good backup and/or competition for your main guy? I wish Kelly was our coach...we have an average QB, a practice squad backup, and I'm willing to bet Marrone doesn't bring in another QB until at least 2016, if he doesn't get fired before then.

I will gladly take that bet. He has already said they would bring in another QB or even QB's. If not FA then the draft!

http://sports.yahoo....02344--nfl.html

Apparently they're planning on taking another QB in this year's draft. Preferably one with mobility.

Should Buffalo take this approach?

I think Vick would be the perfect #2 to help EJ progress and Vick is still a very solid QB if needed for only short stretches cuz of his aggressive mentality and inability to take hits.

But he was "no drama" for Eagles and was genuinely happy helping Foles with the offense and is a true pro. After what he went through, he definitely looks at life from different point of view and being a #2 QB is a nice gig financially and EJ could benefit alot from a mobile QB cuz EJ must learn to use his athletic ability cuz as a pure pocket guy, he will never reach his ceiling. He needs to be a threat like Cam is on 3rd and 9's to be able to threaten the D that if coverage is good and they drop into deep zones, he will burn u with his legs and pick up 10-15 yards. He also needs to get better at his throws on the run, especially while rolling out. He either "pushes" ball by over aiming and screws it up or DRILLS it on a quick slant the goes thru WR's hands and alot of time gets deflected and can easily gets picked. This happened at least 1-2 times a game which 1 was always to Stevie or Chandler.

I'll give Foles a lot of credit for what he did this year, but comparing him to Manuel is ridiculous. Foles was in his second full season in the NFL, playing behind a much better offensive line, against a far weaker defensive schedule - only 3 of 16 teams on their schedule ranked in the top 20 in YPP compared to 14 of 16 for the Bills (with 11 in the top 15 and 7 in the top ten), and Manuel missed half the preseason and five weeks of the regular season. Comparing Foles' production last year to Manuel would be more appropriate.

That math doesn't add up to me:

32 teams total in lge - 20 in top 20 = 12 teams available

3 of 16= 13 teams played not in top 20

Impossible to have played 13 teams out of the top 20 where 12 teams are the max that could be out of the top 20

Wilson had a three way competition, Cincy had Palmer who quit on the team, Kaepernick took his team to the SB, Roethlisberger got the job from a guy who lead the team to like a 14-2 record, Newton was taken by a team that took a QB in the 2nd rd, Rivers sat behind Brees, Eli got the job from Kurt Warner. Ryan took over a team in as bad of shape as any team in the league. Smith, Cutler, Stafford. Luck was considered a prodigy and can't miss prospect. Tannehill i'd say had the same sort of competition as Manuel.

You didn't answer my question. What competition was brought in for these guys last year? The comment was unless you have Brady or Brees every team constantly brings in competition. This is clearly not true.

That math doesn't add up to me:

32 teams total in lge - 20 in top 20 = 12 teams available

3 of 16= 13 teams played not in top 20

Impossible to have played 13 teams out of the top 20 where 12 teams are the max that could be out of the top 20

My apologies. I meant to write that only 4 of 16 (not 3 of 16) of Eagles opponents ranked in the top 20 in defensive YPP - as opposed to 13 of 16 (not 14 of 16) for the Bills. I can see how it now completely changes my argument...

http://sports.yahoo....02344--nfl.html

Apparently they're planning on taking another QB in this year's draft. Preferably one with mobility.

Should Buffalo take this approach?

The implications given in the article(and mirrored by your thread) are not actually put forward by Kelly.

He basically says that Foles is the starter unless he totally mucks up.....which he adds he won't do. And he says the thing that is always said.....that they are always going try to look for upgrades at every position.

This is no difference to what Whaley said in the last press conference.....EJ is the starter.....and......we are always looking to improve at every position.

Will they draft another QB? I'd think it a good chance if they lose their backup(Vick). That doesn't mean that they are intending to draft a QB in the first couple of rounds and then share the reps with their "starter" in a true competition.

This all sounds like media spin designed to create a story where there isn't one.

The implications given in the article(and mirrored by your thread) are not actually put forward by Kelly.

He basically says that Foles is the starter unless he totally mucks up.....which he adds he won't do. And he says the thing that is always said.....that they are always going try to look for upgrades at every position.

This is no difference to what Whaley said in the last press conference.....EJ is the starter.....and......we are always looking to improve at every position.

Will they draft another QB? I'd think it a good chance if they lose their backup(Vick). That doesn't mean that they are intending to draft a QB in the first couple of rounds and then share the reps with their "starter" in a true competition.

This all sounds like media spin designed to create a story where there isn't one.

I'm fully aware of the fact that Foles is the starter next year, as is everyone else who so much as casually follows football. The article indicated that the stated philosophy within the locker room is that every position is up for grabs and will go to the best competitor. Whether it's lip service or not, that isn't always the approach in the NFL (see Rob "suck my" Johnson). My question was whether the Bills should follow that type of philosophy or a "stand by your man" philosophy, or something in between.