The Affordable Care Act II - Because Mr. Obama Loves You All

But that's not what we were discussing. I stated that taking away the mandate and allowing the rest of the law to remain in place was a dumb idea and if passed into law would only make it worse for everyone who needed to buy health insurance from the individual market because it would cause everyone's premiums to go even higher than it is.

and your response was

So it helps some people avoid penalties but makes everyone else's premiums who need health insurance get more expensive.

That's not a solution. DC Tom echoed that sentiment

This wasn't an argument to preserve Obamacare or a defense of it, as you were alluding to with your response, this was solely on the merits of the Skinny Repeal becoming law.

It would have been stupid. But as DOC noted, it was intended to be a vehicle to continue negotiations in Conference. But who here trusts that Trump wouldn't have attempted to force Ryan to just try to push that through and then claim victory? He is so desperate to get a victory I wouldn't have put it past him.

This whole process has been strange and Republicans boxed themselves into a corner by not beginning the process of going through regular order and trying to go about this in a bipartisan manner. Yes, yes I know that most Democrats wouldn't have gone along but when he was first inaugurated if Trump hadn't been such a buffoon with his tweets and Republican leadership would have been a little smarter about this, there would have been a little more leverage to negotiate with maybe about 5-10 Democrats on a compromise bill. Now they have absolutely no leverage, Schumer and Pelosi will be steering the ship.

I know a lot of you along with Trump believe they should just let it "fail" and then that will bring Democrats to the table. Good luck with that, contrary to your beliefs, Republicans will get as much if not more of the blame than Democrats. People will know that the administration and Republicans in bad faith would be attempting to sabotage existing law and it would come at the expense of real people attempting to obtain insurance. In other words they would be used as pawns in this political game. It won't work and I sincerely hope that isn't the strategy for the sake of all people attempting to get health insurance from the individual markets.

I don't know what they should do now, I guess they should pass a temporary measure to shore up the markets because the carriers need to have some certainty on what the landscape is going to be for rates this upcoming season and then begin conversations with Democrats and see if they can come to some sort of deal. Then again, they could just try to come up with some only Republican alternative, but we've already seen how that has been working out.

I completely understand your points. I do. And I understand that some people would be hurt by full or partial repeal. I get it. Honestly. It's just I'm a believer in self-interest. I don't feel that I should pay more so that someone poorer and sicker can have coverage...at least not by way of government fiat.

Thanks though, for a well-written and thought-out response.

Edited by joesixpack

Both parties are at fault for this, its obvious they dont care about the citizens, only themselves

Health care is such a touchy subject. My brother who is so sick he can barely leave the house was in tears of relief today that it didn't pass, but I do know a lot of people suffer from the individual mandate who have rising premiums and deductibles.

I don't think anything the government passes will help improve the health care problems in this country until the government cracks down on the big pharmaceutical companies. Insurance companies and the consumers are at their mercy. One example of regulating big pharm companies is the FDA requiring drug companies disclose the true cost of development of their drugs/medical devices and then use that information to evaluate the appropriateness of that price. This is wishful thinking though because many politicians are owned by big pharm companies.

Health care is such a touchy subject. My brother who is so sick he can barely leave the house was in tears of relief today that it didn't pass, but I do know a lot of people suffer from the individual mandate who have rising premiums and deductibles.

I don't think anything the government passes will help improve the health care problems in this country until the government cracks down on the big pharmaceutical companies. Insurance companies and the consumers are at their mercy. One example of regulating big pharm companies is the FDA requiring drug companies disclose the true cost of development of their drugs/medical devices and then use that information to evaluate the appropriateness of that price. This is wishful thinking though because many politicians are owned by big pharm companies.

Unfortunately no solution is this simple. Healthcare reform has a lot of gears. Going to have to move many at once to make significant change. And then some will need readjustment. Say what you want about the ACA, but not everything about it was awful (marketplaces in general were not a bad idea). It just now needs overhaul. The next bill probably need overhaul too but hopefully not as much. This is going to be a tough issue to wrestle down, as you'd expect from something as big as healthcare. Edited by Benjamin Franklin

I would start with modified Medicare for all and go from there. It would be expensive and medical providers would take a big cut as well as drug companies.

They would have to raise the reimbursement rates to keep the system viable.

Threaten to make all healthcare and drug companies non profit

Edited by ALF

Yeah, think it's time to give up on this fight. If a republican government can't rid us of this abortion, no one will.

Progressivism is cancer, and the whole of our political system is infested with it.

Edited by joesixpack

I still think getting the government out of health care is the best option, free market system allowing insurance companies to compete over state lines.... smaller government not bigger is always better, imo

I still think getting the government out of health care is the best option, free market system allowing insurance companies to compete over state lines.... smaller government not bigger is always better, imo

A good utopian idea, but enacting it is near impossible. Medicare is far to big to just unplug. It would take a generation to shut it down, not that any politician could ever vote for it and expect to survive. It's not a realistic option.

Plus private only options doesn't solve the issue with the tens to hundreds of mllions of sick people who would be uninsured and need health care. I am all for tough repercussions. But for kids? And when my neighbor has typhoid, I'd prefer not to get it.

It's a thorny problem.

Do you mean no Medicare , VA and Medicaid ?

Do you mean no Medicare , VA and Medicaid ?

And Tricare, and Indian Health Services, and SCHIP.

Those are the six major federal health care programs. SIX. And people think the solution to health care in this country is...a seventh.

And Tricare, and Indian Health Services, and SCHIP.

Those are the six major federal health care programs. SIX. And people think the solution to health care in this country is...a seventh.

Thank you really, lives are at stake