Report: NFL to Add Additional Wild Card Team per Conference

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is broke. The players (NFLPA) don't want 4 preseason games and NFL wants more revenue.

The NFL is being greedy. There is no need for an 18 game season or 7 playoff spots per conference. It is something that waters down the game that much more with higher injury rates and lesser quality teams making the playoffs. I agree the previous poster that it is not broken, don't fix it. Goodell is ruining the league IMO

this is perhaps the best/most hilarious idea. random team. perhaps if they go to 8, it would be a true "wildcard." How about going further, the random team for each conference could come from the other conference!

Can you imagine how awesome the lottery would be? Fill your stadium, tailgate and party, and the announcement is made, shown on the big screens. The place would go nuts, Esp in places like buffalo or Cleveland.

Or, how about this? Only the 10 worst teams are eligible for the lottery. But if you win, you have the choice of accepting the WC spot or forfeiting next year's 1st round pick. Can't have both. Whdaya do??!

I for one, am opposed. I do see this as a watering down of the playoffs a bit. 38% of the teams make the playoffs now, 44% would make it in this proposed system. It also devalues the regular season games as it more forgiving for mediocre teams. This will increase the likelihood of 8-8 or losing record teams making the playoffs as well.

Keep it as is, and continue to reward the #2 team with a bye.

I would prefer to see 2 more and have 50% of the teams make it. It still means you are in the top tier of your Confrence. It also allows for a team to recover from serious injury. Such as Green Bay did this year. Overall thir record was mediocor, but that's cause they lost Rogers. Completely different team when he was healthy. Injuries can make or break a season.

it's great idea.

that is where the extra revenue will come from when they reduce the preseason games from 4 to 2.

Expected each of those two playoff games would generate $100 million per year from the TV Network revenue...so yeah, hard to ignore $200 mil+ per year in revenue

I would prefer to see 2 more and have 50% of the teams make it. It still means you are in the top tier of your Confrence. It also allows for a team to recover from serious injury. Such as Green Bay did this year. Overall thir record was mediocor, but that's cause they lost Rogers. Completely different team when he was healthy. Injuries can make or break a season.

A team that isn't healthy loses games? That happens every year, hence the importance of depth on one team and not overdepending on one player.

You can have one conference stacked and another that is weak where 7-9 or 6-10 makes the playoffs. That isn't top tier IMO. Just like the 8th seed in hockey is usually a team that doesn't belong. You think people were pissed when Seattle made it at 7-9 just wait until a wild card gets in with that or possibly 6-10. You will have people questioning why they are in the playoffs. In the last ten years, twice 7-9 teams would have made it if it was your way and 16 team playoff.

A team that isn't healthy loses games? That happens every year, hence the importance of depth on one team and not overdepending on one player.

You can have one conference stacked and another that is weak where 7-9 or 6-10 makes the playoffs. That isn't top tier IMO. Just like the 8th seed in hockey is usually a team that doesn't belong. You think people were pissed when Seattle made it at 7-9 just wait until a wild card gets in with that or possibly 6-10. You will have people questioning why they are in the playoffs. In the last ten years, twice 7-9 teams would have made it if it was your way and 16 team playoff.

I understand that and I'm ok with it. To me it's more football.

• 4 weeks later...

@andrewperloff Dan Patrick says he's been told that the NFL will add a wild card team in both conferences.

Good idea?

Horrible Idea. The NFL has become too bloated. There are too many NFL teams as it is. Why breed more mediocrity? The playoffs should be the best of the best playing off each other. I cringe at 8-8 teams getting into the playoffs.

What really needs to happen is they should cut it down to 30 teams. What I've found out over the past decade is that there is not enough talent to support 32 teams, There are NOT 32 NFL Head Coaches. There may be people holding the position of HC, but they don't deserve to be. It's because there are too many teams.

My solution: Keep the playoffs as is. Cut the 2 worst teams from the league? I say Jacksonville would be an easy cut for certain. Obviously this won't happen. They want to EXPAND. But at what cost? A piss poor product on the field??? I guess so. It lines their pockets so what do they care?

Horrible Idea. The NFL has become too bloated. There are too many NFL teams as it is. Why breed more mediocrity? The playoffs should be the best of the best playing off each other. I cringe at 8-8 teams getting into the playoffs.

What really needs to happen is they should cut it down to 30 teams. What I've found out over the past decade is that there is not enough talent to support 32 teams, There are NOT 32 NFL Head Coaches. There may be people holding the position of HC, but they don't deserve to be. It's because there are too many teams.

My solution: Keep the playoffs as is. Cut the 2 worst teams from the league? I say Jacksonville would be an easy cut for certain. Obviously this won't happen. They want to EXPAND. But at what cost? A piss poor product on the field??? I guess so. It lines their pockets so what do they care?

Your ideas will never happen since this is primarily about increased revenue.

Your ideas will never happen since this is primarily about increased revenue.

where is whoever had the Roger Goodell name when ya need him?

"As commissioner of the NFL and as a league we acknowledge that we thrive on supporting competitve teams that create exciting matchups for fans. We want to explore all options to give the fans what they want while accounting for the safety of our players and all cases of plantar fasc-whatever."

One more playoff team for the AFC maybe the Bills will finally make it back. Or it will just show how much worse the organization is if with an added team we still can't get back. I'm not sure how any kids who grew up in the late 90's could still even be fans of the team at this point as they just missed our "glory years" and have only seen miserable teams year in and year out.

Should have all thirty two make it. Two sweet 16's. 16 vs 1, 15 vs 2 etc.

Might as well since they are hell bend on making the regular season games less meaningful.

How long do you think they'll keep this silly 7-team conference playoff before they go to 8? Two years?

the way it is right now in the NFC it would be a good idea there were atleast a couple descent teams who didnt make it...but in the AFC you can't find 4 good teams 8 wins would be locks

The fact that one decent team didn't make the playoffs is not a valid reason to expand the playoffs. It should be the best of the best, not everyone who was barely above average (or worse).

If you're going to say that, than just make a rule that says every 10 win team gets in with no min or max and figure out the schedule from there.

The fact that one decent team didn't make the playoffs is not a valid reason to expand the playoffs. It should be the best of the best, not everyone who was barely above average (or worse).

If you're going to say that, than just make a rule that says every 10 win team gets in with no min or max and figure out the schedule from there.

If it is every 6-win team, I'm in! Perennial playoffs.

the way it is right now in the NFC it would be a good idea there were atleast a couple descent teams who didnt make it...but in the AFC you can't find 4 good teams 8 wins would be locks

This changes from year to year. Wasn't that long ago that Seahawks got in at 7-9 and not that long before the Seahawks hosted the Rams in the playoffs in a battle of 8-8 teams. Or that the Patsies didn't get in at 11-5.

Stop whining and just win more games than the rest of your competitors. Every year is different. It's fine the way it is. Should leave it alone IMHO.

I wonder how they're going to schedule this. 3 games on Saturday and Sunday in the first week. Seems a little bit much. Maybe a Friday Night game and a Monday Night game?