Bills to meet with Rogers Communications

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home field advantage is huge in December games when the weather gets blustery. The crowds cheer louder for the opponent than for the Bills. It is like having 9 away games ever year while every other team has 8 away games. What a disadvantage. The series needs to end and end now.

Some might ask why Rogers would agree to end it.

Rogers might agree to end the deal because not only does it cost them a lot of $$ but it makes Toronto look bad and is a running joke every season, which would hurt any future NFL in Toronto bid.

Yup. I think for a lot of us, the first sliver of daylight in this regard was the Toronto columnist who wrote as much the Monday after the Falcons debacle.

Given the Rogers experiment has all but been deemed a failure, but the Bills would like to maintain a presence in Southern Ontario, then why not play a preseason game at the new Tim Horton's Field home of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats? 22,500 seats expandable to 40,000 for special events. http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2013/07/new-images-details-of-tim-hortons-field.html

I was almost convinced when you added "period," though.

Great effect, huh?

planting the flag by being the first to play there - - not so much - - the NFL Constitution & Bylaws put the Bills' flag in Toronto many years ago.

Not that a successful link would invalidate my point but....link?

Not that a successful link would invalidate my point but....link?

Sure - -

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/html/careers/pdf/co_.pdf

Article IV Territorial Rights

4.1 Home Territory with respect to any club means the city in which such club is located and for which it holds a franchise and plays its home games and includes the surrounding territory to the extent of 75 miles in every direction from the exterior corporate limits of such city . . .

Rights Within Home Territory

4.2 Each member shall have the exclusive right within its home territory to exhibit professional football games played by teams of the League . . .

1. There are a few exceptions that I didn't include in the above excerpt because they don't apply to the Bills - - you can see the full text including the exceptions at the link if you want.

2. Downtown Toronto is less than 75 miles from the nearest edge of the Buffalo city limits (as the crow flies) - - although I suppose it might be possible in the future for Toronto to build a stadium in the northeast suburbs that would be outside the Bills' "Home Territory" - - pretty sure the Rogers Center falls within the 75 mile limit, though.

Edit: After seeing the "radius map" supplied by Campy below, make that the Northwest suburbs.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Sure - -

http://static.nfl.co...ers/pdf/co_.pdf

1. There are a few exceptions that I didn't include in the above excerpt because they don't apply to the Bills - - you can see the full text including the exceptions at the link if you want.

2. Downtown Toronto is less than 75 miles from the nearest edge of the Buffalo city limits (as the crow flies) - - although I suppose it might be possible in the future for Toronto to build a stadium in the northeast suburbs that would be outside the Bills' "Home Territory" - - pretty sure the Rogers Center falls within the 75 mile limit, though.

Would they consider Orchard Park as the starting point for the 75 mile radius?

Isnt Toronto the 4th largest NFL market without Buffalo?

to me, that would be more appealing as a buyer. Move Buffalo out of the way.

In order for the team to stay, it is going to have to be a somewhat philanthropic purchase by someone with local ties. If a potential buyer wants Toronto, they are going to move to Toronto.

Likely they will argue in court that in Canada, the 75 must be changed to kilometers, therefore they exceed the distance so can do whatever they want. Eh!

Sure - -

http://static.nfl.co...ers/pdf/co_.pdf

If the Bills move I think it will be to LA.

The NFL is hot and bothered to get a team in Los Angeles, so if they are going to take a PR hit for ripping a classic team, might as well get LA to balance it out. Also, Toronto looks terrible because of this deal.

Don't forget that the NFL ultimately approves owners and can veto or approve any moves. IF any team moves in the near future it will be to LA I think.

The NFL is hot and bothered to get a team in Los Angeles, so if they are going to take a PR hit for ripping a classic team, might as well get LA to balance it out. Also, Toronto looks terrible because of this deal.

Don't forget that the NFL ultimately approves owners and can veto or approve any moves. IF any team moves in the near future it will be to LA I think.

I disagree. The NFL wants to break the plane of the goal line in a foreign country. Toronto brings a ton to the table for the NFL, including possible further immersion into other cultures up there. Likely a secondary TV deal forged up there.

Then they can also spin it like "Buffalo still has their team, but its just going to be an hour away and called the Toronto ________"

The NFL will continue to use LA as a threat to leverage public money, until that well had dried a bit. Be weary of the threats the NFL doesnt make, and that is Toronto.

LA is deader than ever as an NFL destination. No stadium, no team.

I disagree. The NFL wants to break the plane of the goal line in a foreign country. Toronto brings a ton to the table for the NFL, including possible further immersion into other cultures up there. Likely a secondary TV deal forged up there.

Then they can also spin it like "Buffalo still has their team, but its just going to be an hour away and called the Toronto ________"

The NFL will continue to use LA as a threat to leverage public money, until that well had dried a bit. Be weary of the threats the NFL doesnt make, and that is Toronto.

How has that worked in LA?

Then they can also spin it like "Buffalo still has their team, but its just going to be an hour away and called the Toronto _FLOP__"

Filled in the blank for you there.