McCarron Thread

section122

I agree here. It takes a team a long time, whomever they are, to overcome a stunning "turn of event" type of play.

Regarding McCarron, I would have him as a Bill any day and hope that the Bills select him in Round 3 or later. I feel he has a bright future in the NFL

McCarron is a great kid I am sure and maybe could be a backup but he was really falling off throws, dropping his eyes vs. pressure, he really was struggling. I think the last two games hurt his draft stock considerably. I wouldn't be excited to have him on the Bills. There hasn't been a starting QB in the NFL from Bama in a very long time. Who knows, he could make it, but I wouldn't bet on it. I think he has played his whole career with a lead. When he has a defesne that is giving up points and needs to come from behind, he isn't all that good at doing so. Contrast that to Johnny Manziel, who has all other set of issues but as far as this point, he has shown that he can do that. In the NFL, you need to be able to overcome point defecits and make the throws and stand up to the pressure. In the loss to A&M last year, he threw an INT on the last drive and last night he fumbled. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see McCarron making it in the NFL. He wilted under pressure last night too easily and has no improvisational skills for extending a play. Maybe I'm spoiled from watching Johnny Manziel. McCarron gives up too quickly under the slightest amount of pressure. Oklahoma did an incredible job of getting to him, and really exposed him as a future SEC Network analyst, alongside Tim Tebow.

Cyrus Kouandjio also got exposed as not being ready for the NFL. He got beat like a drum by Eric Striker last night, and there are plenty of NFL pass rushers bigger and quicker than Striker. Kouandjio needs a Senior year at Bama.

Mosley was the only Bama draft candidate to impress me last night. Good quickness and lateral movement. Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix was a no-show for much of the game, but it shouldn't hurt his draft position. Bama as a whole just repeated their Utah Sugar Bowl effort of a few years ago. Kevin Norwood would be a good late round pick. Great hands and always seemed to come up with clutch catches in many of the games I saw.

Henry and Cooper are future can't miss NFL prospects.

Knight is a redshirt freshman playing in his 8th career game.

He split time with Blake Bell at QB.

I believe this was Knight's 4th career start.

He was 32-44 for 348 yards and 4 TDs against a team that was a 17 point favorite in a major bowl game.

You guys weren't impressed?

I was impressed. The kid obviously has potential. He is a Freshman, who knows what he will look like two years from now.

But doesn't that bring up the broader point that McCarron has played his whole career on a talent-stocked team second to none in college football and his performance should be judged with that in mind? Even with their losses YOY they seem to restock every season with top recruiting classes. I hate Saban, so was glad to see them lose. McCarron doesn't strike me as anything particularly special (didn't watch much of last night's game, but did see his second (awful) pick) and neither did McElroy....

Serious qusetion:

Have you watched him throughout his career? He takes care of the football extremely well. He may play on talent stocked teams but he does what he is supposed to do with them - win. Peopl want to drool over Manziel and he is throwing to the top receiver coming out. I won't put their escapability and playmaking ability on the same par but they both shred the vaunted sec defenses. He was the first qb to go over 3000 yards in Bama history. He is not McElroy.

I just don't see McCarron making it in the NFL. He wilted under pressure last night too easily and has no improvisational skills for extending a play. Maybe I'm spoiled from watching Johnny Manziel. McCarron gives up too quickly under the slightest amount of pressure. Oklahoma did an incredible job of getting to him, and really exposed him as a future SEC Network analyst, alongside Tim Tebow.

Cyrus Kouandjio also got exposed as not being ready for the NFL. He got beat like a drum by Eric Striker last night, and there are plenty of NFL pass rushers bigger and quicker than Striker. Kouandjio needs a Senior year at Bama.

Mosley was the only Bama draft candidate to impress me last night. Good quickness and lateral movement. Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix was a no-show for much of the game, but it shouldn't hurt his draft position. Bama as a whole just repeated their Utah Sugar Bowl effort of a few years ago. Kevin Norwood would be a good late round pick. Great hands and always seemed to come up with clutch catches in many of the games I saw.

Henry and Cooper are future can't miss NFL prospects.

I think you are spot on with the effort from Bama last night. That said McCarron was sacked 7 times last night and the fumble was on a blindside hit. Every QB will wilt under that type of pressure. As for improvisational skills nobody is on Manziels level. There was a play on 3rd or 4th down where he was under immediate pressure mad a nce roll out and threw a dart to the receiver straddling the sideline. I tried to find a clip of it but it's not up yet.

He is being talked about as a later round flier type pick. I wouldn't mind that landing spot being the Bills. He is a guy who has played repeatedly on the biggest stages and done well. He is also a noted hard worker and good guy. I have nightmares of him going to the pats* sitting and learning behind Brady and taking over to continue their reign of terror.

I was impressed. The kid obviously has potential. He is a Freshman, who knows what he will look like two years from now.

Wow he was throwing some beautiful balls last night. When he released them they looked like rainbows but whenthey landed they would be perfectly placed over the wrs outside shoulder. It will be interesting to watch his progression for sure.

He's somewhat better than this.

As I HUGE Tide Fan, I do know a bit about McCarron and the team.....

This particular team is of course good, but nowhere near as good as 2012. Not even close. If they didn't have the greatest coaching staff on the planet their record would have been far worse.

The 2012 Tide had the best offensive line ever assembled imo. I wondered why they played Kouandjio at LT when I viewed him as the 4th best blocker on that line. Last night what I suspected became clear.....Saban knew that he would need him at LT this season. Not even Coach Saban could replace the likes of Barrett Jones, Chance Warmack, and DJ Fluker, who might wind up as a literal top 5 RT in football history.

Additionally, the Tide lost a ton of defensive stars over the last couple of years. One after the other.

So true. They were losing play makers faster than they can develop them.

Defensively, this was a down year, and I would rate it just above Saban's 2007 team.

Prior to the season started, it was established if the Tide were going to do a 3 peat, it would have to do it with the offense doing the heavy lifting.

That was a tall order given the O-line had 3 new faces on it.

The defense was suspect (due to the attrition of the past couple of years) with the secondary being the weakest position.

Depth was a major concern, and it showed why with the past couple of games.

My point? McCarron had a cakewalk last season, but NOT this year. He is a good young quarterback. He is smart, very coachable and tough. His life sure does look great now but he came up very poor and is a fighter. I would like to see him, or for that matter Murray on the Bills. I am no expert but I imagine their chances of success are fairly similar to those of Manuel.

If McCarron is there in rounds 3-4, I would snap him up in heartbeat. Sit him on the bench for a year or two, let him learn and adjust to the pro game, and then see what you got.

Knight is a redshirt freshman playing in his 8th career game.

He split time with Blake Bell at QB.

I believe this was Knight's 4th career start.

He was 32-44 for 348 yards and 4 TDs against a team that was a 17 point favorite in a major bowl game.

You guys weren't impressed?

I was extremely impressed. How was this kid not playing all year? He has size, arm strength, an ideal delivery, and dominated Bama's defense. This is a guy to watch.

McCarron is a 6-7th round prospect IMO. Not much to see, there are other prospects.

I was extremely impressed. How was this kid not playing all year? He has size, arm strength, an ideal delivery, and dominated Bama's defense. This is a guy to watch.

Wouldn't say he has size but the arm and playmaking ability are there that's for sure.

( I haven't seen anyone say he stinks yet, wonder if it is possible that everyone will like him, not sure what the board will do if that happens)

So true. They were losing play makers faster than they can develop them.

Defensively, this was a down year, and I would rate it just above Saban's 2007 team.

Prior to the season started, it was established if the Tide were going to do a 3 peat, it would have to do it with the offense doing the heavy lifting.

That was a tall order given the O-line had 3 new faces on it.

The defense was suspect (due to the attrition of the past couple of years) with the secondary being the weakest position.

Depth was a major concern, and it showed why with the past couple of games.

If McCarron is there in rounds 3-4, I would snap him up in heartbeat. Sit him on the bench for a year or two, let him learn and adjust to the pro game, and then see what you got.

I do not watch that much of Alabama football, but what I saw last night wasn't good. Saban tried to give him the ball when they were down and if I remember correctly they went three and out, maybe a couple times. I think this was toward the end of the third quarter/beginning of the fourth. Then they went back to the run primarily. Unfortunately it struck me as a T'eo moment for him last night, he had trouble finding the open guys and when he did he was not accurate. Last night the flare in the fourth quarter to Henery for a touchdown seemed like the throw he is capable of making and that's not an NFL throw.

'Bama looked big and slow to me last night.

It reminded me of the 1981 Orange Bowl when a faster, smaller Clemson team beat up on a bigger but slower Nebraska team to win the National Championship.

That 'Bama running back is pretty damn good though and I thought Mosley looked pretty good the times I was watching him.

'Bama looked big and slow to me last night.

It reminded me of the 1981 Orange Bowl when a faster, smaller Clemson team beat up on a bigger but slower Nebraska team to win the National Championship.

That 'Bama running back is pretty damn good though and I thought Mosley looked pretty good the times I was watching him.

I wonder when the last time Urban and Saban both lost their last 2 games. Probably never. Crazy bowl season, but great games. I think Bama's heart wasn't in it, used to being in the NC.

I wonder when the last time Urban and Saban both lost their last 2 games. Probably never. Crazy bowl season, but great games. I think Bama's heart wasn't in it, used to being in the NC.

He did not look anywhere near as good in his previous 3 games as he did against Bama. Crazy.

So average and will be lucky to be a backup. As someone else pointed out, what did he do that Greg McElroy didn't?

Congrats to AJ. Had a great career, got to be a legend in a football crazy state, & got a nice lady (she's a bit overrated but I'm in NYC though).

But he has peaked and it's all down hill from here. He's go back to Alabama on his bye week as the Jags' 3rd string qb and put on Glory Days on the jukebox & just get sad. Still, he had a great run.

So average and will be lucky to be a backup. As someone else pointed out, what did he do that Greg McElroy ?

A ton.

School records at Alabama:

Passing yards career

Passing yards season

Total offense career

Passing Tds career

Most wins

In the last 2 years he threw 58 Tds to 10 ints. He isn't Greg McElroy. That comparison is an injustice to him and just plain lazy regardless of what he goes on to do in the pros. He was a much better qb than McElroy at Bama.

He was out drinking lastnight and he got run out of a terrible college bar here in New Orleans - had to be snuck out the back due to what I'm assuming were lsu fans

Met his family and GF earlier this week. She's indeed a very pretty young lady,

A ton.

School records at Alabama:

Passing yards career

Passing yards season

Total offense career

Passing Tds career

Most wins

In the last 2 years he threw 58 Tds to 10 ints. He isn't Greg McElroy. That comparison is an injustice to him and just plain lazy regardless of what he goes on to do in the pros. He was a much better qb than McElroy at Bama.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/greg-mcelroy-1.html

GM was 37 tds to 9 ints his last 2 years. So he was a little better than a 7th rounder who hasn't done anything in the pros.

AM didn't get sacked for a month and a half. That will never happen in the pros. The pressure he saw against OU is more likely & he couldn't handle it. Great college career and know he will get paid to be a backup. Great life.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/greg-mcelroy-1.html

GM was 37 tds to 9 ints his last 2 years. So he was a little better than a 7th rounder who hasn't done anything in the pros.

AM didn't get sacked for a month and a half. That will never happen in the pros. The pressure he saw against OU is more likely & he couldn't handle it. Great college career and know he will get paid to be a backup. Great life.

21 extra Tds to 1 int is only a little better?

21 extra Tds to 1 int is only a little better?

Oh it's better but it's different offenses. GM had Ingram/ Richardson and Ingram won a Heisman. The Bama rbs this year were not on that level.

The overall point was an average talent like GM could do really good at Bama. A lot Qbs would have been as good at Bama as McCarron.